Don’t Have One, Should I...All about awnings

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by emoney, Aug 12, 2018.

1. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Title clears up the topic, but let me share some questions;

1) We all know about the available options for bag awnings. My pup still has the feet mounts for the poles to come back to the pup and, of course, the rail. I know I can buy one, but what are the thoughts on making one? I’ve figured 7 yards of material plus the poles/hardware. Pretty sure I can sew it as my machine was bought for my sailboat and I’ve done upholstery work with it no prob. Part of me kinda likes the challenge.

2) How much value do you think it adds to the pup when resale time? As a reminder, it’s a 2008, has roof AC, water heater, etc. and totally redone to include all new plywood cabinets and dinette. Last project is one bent bedslide which I’m putting in next week. In other words, how much does it add and is it worth as much as a new one cost ($350-400)

3) How come we never see these on pups?
    E51F4742-801A-4510-8564-CB1F0FACDD27.jpeg
    I’ve seen the Chinese version on EBay for $130, but I’m guessing not many try these? Sure they’re smaller, but 8’x8’ and it mounts in a bag. Just curious

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

All that I can say is I don't camp without some kind of awning. Done right I could see a custom made awning adding some resale value but how much I don't know.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We've never used our awning. We always have a wooded, shady site.

4. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Use mine all the time along with screen/add a room if more than 3 days.....now that a tree had its way with it (see: wind event) I'll be repairing before my next adventure.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I made a tarp Awning. I use a heavy duty tarp and tarp poles. I managed to utilize the awning track already on my unit . Because I cook out side I need the awning. What I made is sufficient for me and very cheap. Because I have a 12' box I didn't want a small Awning. In fact because I didn't cut my tarp down I have a very long awning which is very nice. I didn't have the money for a new awning and the the car mounted awning is too small for what I really needed and still more than I wanted to spend. Also I don't think the poles would be long enough for my unit. Making an awning out of fabric I think will get costly unless you can find fabric cheap enough.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Get this , and use it after you sell your pup!

Attached Files:

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I doubt you'd get your money back on resale, unless you're in an area with a very high demand for popups. May turn off one or two buyers if it's not there, but then you bought it without.

Did you price 3?

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I do not worry about re sale, I worry about my comfort and I always use my awning. Some use a free standing awning which is fine too, I like to sit in the shade outdoors and in the Fl sun it is a welcome item to have.

myride likes this.
  10. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    I like that i can keep the windows open under the awning during the rain.

Natureangel and myride like this.
  11. Trina King

Trina King New Member

Aug 9, 2018
    We always use some type,of awning when camping. Even when we tent camped. Need reprieve from the sun and here in the beautiful PNW, from the rain!

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Just an update, my pop up tent encloser kicks some butt. Used it camping, at a concert( it poured and it did a good job keeping us dry, 6 on chairs with a table) and for 2 parties. Couldn't do that with the awning!

13. Trina King

Trina King New Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Our awning is 11' long and we also have a screen room that attaches to it so it is very roomy. Just need a new bag or some kind of mod.

14. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    In Florida you don’t really have an option. If it’s not raining buckets then the Sun is being a laser trained exclusively on you....everywhere you go. Plus at night, it helps to slow the kamikaze wing of the mosquito fighter force

15. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    jnc likes this.
  16. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    We bought our camper without an awning with the full intention of just using our EZ up. Two winters ago I was stuck in our small apartment (we were in transition) itching for a DIY project to work on. I found an old, beat up awning taken off an old, destroyed camper, for $20. It had the bag and the awning fabric - that was it. No hardware and it was in ROUGH shape. So I spent a winter disassembling it, cleaning it, patching it, painting it, and reassembling it. It was a really fun project, and my lightweight home sewing machine was enough to get the job done (albeit slowly). I bought telescoping tent poles from Cabelas that worked great with the finished product, and when I had it all dialed in on my camper it really did make a difference in being able to enjoy the outside and the inside of the camper - mostly because you could keep the windows open in any weather - it works great at keeping both the sun and the rain out. I will say this though: by the time I was done with the project (and I didn't even have to buy the vinyl) I could probably have bought a brand new awning. Also, I wouldn't depend on it adding to the resale value at all.

If you're interested, here are some pics of my awning rebuild: https://goo.gl/photos/HiWBD78RDe33oKV19

I got all the sewing supplies (thread, zipper, keder rope, etc) from Sailrite and the poles from Cabelas

jnc and DJS12354 like this.