Door doesn't fit

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by mrjam2jab, Sep 27, 2017.

1. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

May 29, 2014
    I thought I saw a similar post...but now can't find it.

1985 Coleman

Setting up the pop up at a particular site...when dropping the door into place the bottom fits in but the top of the door doesn't reach the wall to secure into place. I'm assuming this means we are not level...but what side would need to come up?

Or am I thinking about it incorrectly?

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    It sounds more like the roof has been raised too high? Measure all 4 corners and see if they are the same height. Or is the pup not level, (too high in the back) and then the roof is not centered over the box and the top of the door/frame too far from the roof where it locks in.

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    I would think you would have to really unlevel for the door to not fit. I'd setup the camper level and check the roof height adjustment. There are directions for that in the roof repair manual.
    http://www.campersolutions.com/home/help-my-roof-won-t-lower

I know on the newer Colemans the wiffle tree has a stop point that is held in place by a shear pin. Mine had sheared off and would allow me to over raise the top. The canvas would get too tight and was tearing the attachment arrowhead. Got under and greased the wiffle tree, replaced $0.40 shear pin and adjusted the height with the bolts. Easy job and the roof was at the right height.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My trailer has a wire attached to the roof on one end and the other attached to the metal side. This is in view when I am raising the roof. When the wire gets tight I stop raising...

My top half door is held in place to the ceiling of the popup and hinges down to the the top of the half door that is permanently mounted. When I pull it down from the ceiling it attached to the top of permanent half door.

I have had on a few occasions not to be able to open the full door when setup due to the side of the door dragging. The fix here is always a level problem from end to end. I installed a stick on bubble level here near the bottom of the door jam on the out side of the trailer. I can adjust level end and see when the bubble says it is level end to end...

Never had a problem like you are speaking of. I'm thinking like others that your roof has been raised too high for some reason. My installed wire like described above has been a great feature for me to watch when I am raising the roof... This was factory installed as I bought my POPUP trailer new in 2008
    You can see my BUBBLE LEVEL here between the wheel and the door on the bottom of wall.

Momabear waiting for coffee to get brewed after we just got setup here... Looks like maybe Cloudland Canyon in North GA.
    [​IMG]
    Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    My older Dutchmen had the same setup as you describe. It has a 2 pc door as well.
    The Coleman pups have a one piece door which is installed in a frame that you set into a channel on the floor and then lock in the top of the frame on the side panel of the roof.

6. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Check for level and roof height as suggested. I helped a PUPer once with a similar situation who had too much weight on the stab jacks. It was to the point that one tire was nearly off the ground. His stick on bubble level was showing he was level but his door wouldn't fit either. We took the weight off, put blocks under the tires and everything then fit fine.

7. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

May 29, 2014
    You might be onto something here. I remember when we broke camp and I release the stab jacks the trailer really shifted as i released each one. It was out of the ordinary when it happened but I didn't think much of it.