Door frame is jacked up!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Leslie Loring, May 12, 2019.

1. Leslie Loring

Leslie Loring Member

I am really getting cranky because I keep running in to the “joys” of owning an older PUP!
    I have a 2001 Starcraft pop up. The door frame at the top interior was welded by someone before I purchased it and one weld broke tonite. There are two welded corners on the top of the inside frame of the door and one welding spot on the bottom of the exterior of the top section of the door.
    I tried to load the pictures I took tonite but get an error message that they are too big. I’ll work on that.
    Please share any ideas or experiences you’ve had in repair the door or frame.
    I have a few ideas but would much rather learn from someone else’s trial and errors.
    I have contacted a few online companies to ask about replacement frames or doors but it’s a Sunday so I don’t expect to receive a response for a day or two.
    Thanks everyone!!

2. Leslie Loring

Leslie Loring Member

145394A3-F15D-4566-99E9-46A936D09839.jpeg FA66EF38-6A3B-49A2-B54B-680468045ACA.jpeg 606BDD3E-EA18-43E1-BAF9-822711684752.jpeg

3. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

If it were me, and you have the meat on the frame, I would sand the broken weld flat and try some L brackets and rivets.

Sjm9911 and Milemaker13 like this.
  4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

or get a pro to re-weld it

Sjm9911, 1380ken and Milemaker13 like this.
  5. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

It looks as if I welded it!! Aluminum is not easy to weld properly. It takes special equipment to do it right. I'm with bols2Dawall. Get a pro to fix it.

6. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

The preferred way would be to have it welded by a pro. However the last time I needed something tack welded (let alone something aluminum) I called a dozen places and you would have thought I asked them to bid on a government contract! Unless you know a welder or have a friend that can do it, you might have the same problem I did in my area. If I was in your shoes I'd probably use some angle brackets and rivet them together. Would be plenty strong and not look like an eye soar.

7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I wonder if those corners are designed to flex. A corner bracket may be better than a weld.