Door leaks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by mrjam2jab, May 19, 2017.

1. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

May 29, 2014
    1985 Coleman Sun Valley

When it's set up and it rains, rain gets in the door thru the bottom of the slider window. Is this common or a worn out "seal" of some sort?

The top is the slider
    [​IMG]

Water is running down the lower panel, collecting in this track, and also winding up on the floor.
    [​IMG]

2. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Never had this problem with ours and we have been in some very heavy rain. I'll inspect next time I have it up, sorry I couldnt be more help.

3. Fless

Fless Active Member

Make sure that your slider window is in the back track of the door frame. On mine it seems like it will latch closed at times but not be in the deeper track.

You should be able to remove the slider and check for a gasket (or a slot for one) on it and/or the outside door frame. Mine isn't accessible right now or I'd look at it for you.

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    We use our awning. I don't know that our door has ever been wet. A bag awning is a cheap solution if you don't already have one.

5. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    This is a good point, I use our awning all the time too which may be why I have never had this issue.

Will be curious on what you find out. There is unsealed wood at the bottom of the door plate so you really dont want water coming in and dripping in below there. I thought of taking the plate out and sealing it up with something at some point.

6. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

May 29, 2014
    Finally follow up. Here are two pics of the slider when it was removed. There is a "gasket" around 2 sides...left and right. But it doesn't look like there ever was one on the bottom. I just now realized maybe I should look not on the slider itself but maybe the top edge of the stationary lower panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]