Dust Cap Won't stay on

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by afidmt, May 6, 2018.

1. afidmt

afidmt New Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have a '95 Coleman Montauk - PUP -- when I purchased it (second Hand) I had the bearings repacked - and on the first trip -- The dust cap fell off on the way home - and tire blew -- since then I have tried to replace the cap - and it won't stay on - it seems to fit fairly tightly and seats well (need to use a rubber mallet to seat it ) - but after just 5 miles or so - poof -- off it comes -- I have checked the tire and castle nut and the tire is seated correctly - My question is - should I just give up and replace the HUB or is there anything else to try to keep the cap on ??? If the consensus is to replace -- would any #2500 hub kit work???

2. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Take your old cap to any real auto parts store, they will have, or can order a replacement cap for you It may not be the problem, but it's pennies compared to a new hub. Make sure you take the old one with you so they can measure it.....if they try to measure it with a tape measure, rather than calipers, take it do a different store

xxxapache and jnc like this.
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If @xvz12 's don't work I would try some gasket sealer. I know it's not pretty but it is cost effective.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Instead of using a gasket sealer. I would use Loctite.. no mess

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Get the right part. You want to take a chance of pushing gasket sealer or Loctite into your grease? If you ran any distance with the dust cap off, you probably picked up sand in the grease and need to replace the grease. Grease + grit = lapping compound.

xxxapache likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    try a new cap, if it will not stay on the lip on the hub could be worn, On my 16' utility trailer I used a couple of layers of duct tape and that is tight enough to hold it on. X2 on pull the wheel bearings out and re-pack

xxxapache likes this.
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    You may be able to take the old dust cap and enlarge the hub seat with a ball peen hammer and vise. It make take a little experimenting on where on the vise to hold the cap to maintain the right curve. Keep playing with it until the fit is correct.