Dutch Oven Orange Chicken Breasts

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by nineoaks2004, Dec 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Dutch Oven Orange Chicken Breasts
    The listed ingredients are meant for 3 servings and are prepared in a 10-inch Dutch oven. You can adapt this recipe for a 12-inch Dutch oven by simply adding an extra 50% of everything or by doubling everything for a 14-inch Dutch oven. The ingredients are listed in the order they’ll be used.
    ·2 tablespoons olive oil or any cooking oil
    ·3 chicken breast halves
    ·3 teaspoons Dijon mustard or Dijon mustard substitute
    ·Salt and pepper
    ·1 large onion, diced
    ·3 tablespoons butter, cut into 6 cubes
    ·1 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
    ·1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
    Directions:
    1. Pour the olive oil into the Dutch oven and pre-heat to 350˚ Fahrenheit by using about half of the required charcoals at first, both on top and bottom and adding the remaining coals after a few minutes. (Remember, the ratio of coals for roasting is 1:1.)
    2. Cover the chicken breast halves with the Dijon mustard or Dijon mustard substitute.
    3. Place the chicken breast, skin side down, into the pre-heated Dutch oven. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle onion over the chicken breasts and place 2 cubes of butter on each piece. Pour the orange juice into the pan, but be careful not to pour over the chicken as this might “wash away” the seasoning.
    4. Cover with the lid and cook for 25 minutes. Baste once after 10 minutes.
    5. After 25 minutes, gently turn the chicken breast on the other side (the skin side should be yellow or lightly brown) and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
    6. Replace lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes. If you have a meat thermometer, check and see when your chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165˚, which is the temperature the chicken should be when it’s done.
    7. Serve on a plate with some of the orange juice left in the Dutch oven, or check the recipe for the mushroom sauce later in this article.
    This recipe will offer your chicken a sweet, but subtle taste. It won’t be overwhelming by any stretch of the imagination. However, you can use more orange juice or any of the oranges’ cousins such as tangerines, mandarins or minneolas, and more brown sugar if you want to “turn things up a notch.”
    As already stated, it’s the orange juice that gives the chicken breasts their flavor. But what if you’re not much of a sweet tooth and want to create your own concoction of something sour or bitter, rather than sweet? You can combine half of cup of orange juice with half of cup of grapefruit, lemon or lime juice. Or, you can forget orange juice altogether
    Also, you can add a pinch or more of lemon sugar to your brown sugar, if you want to experiment. Be careful to not add too much, as lemon sugar has a very strong sour taste that can be unpleasant if over-used.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Boy that sound good. Makes me wish I could cook.

3. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Hmm......a good idea for dinner tonight. Thanks

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Ok, so I made this last night at home and OMG was this good. My wife went back to draw a cup of the orange broth and poured back over her chicken. Super recipe.

5. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    I'm going to try this.