E2 Weight Distribution Hitch

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Mike Young, May 30, 2018.

1. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    i purchased the E2 yesterday and then noticed I had one big problem. The jack on my camper is on the outside of the frame and is right in the way of the trunnions bar. The jack is welded on. Anyone had the same issue and how you found a solution, if there is one?

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Is there room inside the tongue for a jack? You can buy one that would either bolt on or could be welded. What E2 do you have - most of the ones I saw had a center mounted jack when I was looking a couple years ago. I always felt the side mounted jacks were more for lighter weight trailers.

3. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    DCE15315-6EB2-4035-963E-938C4624FF23.jpeg Maybe. I would need to get the current one unwelded. The trailer is a Fleetwood Westlake (3200lbs).

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    You might be able to mount a center jack in there, but it might be tight. I did a quick search and most of the Westlakes I saw had a jack on the other side of the tongue. I see you have a trailer valet on yours - how do you like it? Do you use it on any inclines or just level asphalt? won't you have to remove the valet as well to get the bar hooked up on the other side?

I think they make some lower profile jacks as well. Might be able to swap it out assuming the mount does not get in the way of the bars.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    a 4 1/2" grinder will take the welds off. Maybe weld a plate in front of the batteries cut a hole in that plate and bolt a jack in the plate (it would probably take a newer type jack with the bolt on flange on the jack stem.

6. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    The trailer valet works great on slight inclines. My thought now is to remove the jack and 'somehow' mount a center jack in there.

7. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    Is there a way to remove the jack from the welded plates? If I could do that I wont need to take the welds off.

8. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    Also, if I can move the trailer valet further down the frame I could use the valet as a replacement jack (I think :) )

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I think there is a way to just remove the jack and leave the plate welded to the tongue. It looks like most of this style just uses a snap ring to hold the jack on. If you remove that the jack should pop right off. I’m trying to find a video. I have this style of jack on my utility trailer, but have never had to take it apart.

10. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    Is there a center jack that will bolt on with a clamp rather than drilling the bolts into the frame? I have been googling but can’t find the exact answer to my question. If I can do that I will be more comfortable in prying off the existing side jack.

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My Starcraft RT14 is very similar to your E2 model and my trailer jack is mounted in the front of the tongue area using the standard three hole mount. You should be able to find the three hole mount style almost anywhere. ETRAILER and AMAZON would be two good places to search for replacement..

[​IMG]
    Google image

From your picture it looks you may have just enough room at the end of the tongue area to mount this model of trailer jack.

Your photo almost looks like a later add-on item and I would use a grinder to remove it.. Most all of the trailer jacks I have seen are the three hole mount style...
    [​IMG]
    Google Image

Mine also comes with two lower items that are interchangeable being a skid and a wheel. Very handy to have both on hand for parking your trailer..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google images

Another note here when I first got my new 2008 Starcraft RT14 I was going to use the Weight Distribution bars on my setup and after a couple of trips I really couldn't find any difference in the handling of the trailer with or without the bars... I eventually took them off and have been pulling my trailer with a Ford F150 series Truck with no problems whatsoever... My current truck is a 2011 Ford F150 series with 4WD OFF-ROAD package... All is level as can be with my 4200 lb loaded down RT14 trailer...

I was thinking your Fleetwood E2 was like this one but I see the WESTLAKE is a different style... Not like mine at all haha
    [​IMG]

I picked my 2008 Starcraft RT14 over the 2008 E2 EVOLUTION because the Starcraft had the massive 6" framing under it like shown here...
    [​IMG]

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  12. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    Thanks for your response. I have gone round and round with the WDH on what I need or don't need. The challenge for me is the towing vehicle. I am towing with a Chrysler Town and Country and the weight of the trailer is more than or close to the weight of the T&C. I also have airbags installed on the rear suspension of the T&C because it naturally sits closer to the ground than a truck, so I need to be able to raise it outside of using the WDH. The 'extras' have cost me more than the Westlake :). I am going to play around with my trailer valet and see if I can move it further down the frame without it affecting the WDH.

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Mike - Check the ETRAILER.com site. They have a whole line of different manual operated Trailer jacks including side mounts I use ETRAILER all the time here for everything trailer. A great site for parts and info... They also have alot of VIDEOS on how to install their parts...

Roger on your Town and Country - I know I sure could not live well with a setup like that with all my needed junk that goes on our trips. With my front deck and my covered and locked truck bed I can carry some SERIOUS camping supplies and items... The RT14 deck is for one of those ATV machines but I just use it for camping supplies and cover it all with a tarp going down the road...

Look at all this room the RT14 has shown here hehe...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Downside for me is with all that room the more I carry haha

This is what the back of my truck looks like on a camping trip...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

I just now realized my trailer jack three hole mount runs through the trailer hitch. Never noticed that before... Click the above photo for closeup view... Maybe you have the same amount of space to use on your hitch...

Roy Ken

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  14. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    okay, I think I have this 'one' problem figured out and thank you for talking this through with me. The jack is held on by a snap ring, so I just need the tool to get that off. I can then move my trailer valet from right to left or left to right, depending on which way you look at it. It's going to be tight, but do-able. I am also spending far too much time googling stuff. It says the WDH is not compatible with a class 2 hitch, which Jeep/Chrysler assured me is the one they installed. However, that doesn't make sense because it says a class II comes with a 1 1/4 inch receiver. The receiver I have on my vehicle is a 2". I called Fastway Trailers. they are the folks who manufacture the WDH and they told me that as long as the receiver is 2" and the hitch can tow the Westlake then their WDH is compatible.

15. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    A little late to the convo, but I just got a used e2 hitch off craigslist (had to order the brackets for the PUP because the PO forgot to take them off when he sold his trailer). Anyway, does your trailer jack swing up to horizontal for towing? If so I think I have the same one as you. It doesn't look like the jack should be in the way when it is horizontal. My plan was to disengage the trunnion bars before jacking the trailer, and reinstall them after hitching to TV. So hooking-up/towing/setting-up would go like this:
    1. Hook up trailer to TV hitch.
    2. Raise jack and swing up to horizontal (runs alongside trailer tongue)
    3. Attach WDH trunnion bars to the brackets and lock into place. (Trailer jack shouldn't interfere)
    4. Tow to destination.
    5. Disengage and move WDH trunnion bars.
    6. Swing jack to vertical and lower.
    7. Unhitch from TV.
    Would that work or am I missing something? Like do you need to be able to take the trailer weight off the TV before disengaging the trunnion bars?

Thanks,

tzmartin likes this.
  16. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    Hmm, not sure it would work because in my case I need to use the jack to take the pressure off the trunnions bars to get them to release. I also had to move the side jack and have a new one installed in the center of the a-frame. That works a treat for me.

17. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    I finally got around to installing the E2 WDH and have the same problem you have. The side mounted jack hits the trunnion bar when it's down and hits the L-bracket when it's up. Do you have info on the center mounted jack you used and what it took to get it installed?

18. Mike Young

Mike Young New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    New York
    Hi there, I don’t have the exact make because I had it installed by a dealer. You just have to make sure it has lots of clearance. I will take some photographs in the next few days and post them for you.