East bank state park

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by hambone33, May 12, 2013.

1. hambone33

hambone33 New Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Just wondering if anyone had visited it and what you thought of it ?

2. swamphammock

swamphammock New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Are you refering to East Bank Campground in Bainbridge?

Just as a helpful FYI, East Bank is not part of the State Park there at Seminole. It is actually part of the Army Corps of Engineers campground network. They are usually pretty well maintained like the state parks here in GA.
    I think someone I know has stayed there. I will ask him about the campground and post here as soon as I learn something about it.

3. hambone33

hambone33 New Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Sorry . Its a habit I have of referring to parks as state parks . I'd be coming in from Chattahoochee off of I-10 . The park is only about 40 miles from us and would make a great weekender for the kids and I . The kids and I spent 3 nights at 3 rivers the first of this month and one of our neighbors told us about it . Thanks for checking for me .

4. swamphammock

swamphammock New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    No worries, I know alot of folks that refer to every campground as a state park! As far as that goes, I have even seen campgrounds that go right along with the misinformation to give the illusion that you will get the same benefits as usually found at state parks. (Ie., facilities upkeep, security, etc.)

As soon as I get to talk with my friend on the matter of the East Bank CG, I will pass it along. He has not been in the office the same time as me for a couple days.

5. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Jul 13, 2011
    If its anything like the Corps of Engineers parks we stayed at in Mississippi and Kentucky, you will love it. Very well maintained and big lots for a very low and reasonable price.

6. hambone33

hambone33 New Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I drove over tonight just for grins . It was a short hour away so what the heck . From what I saw on my ride through it was a very nice park . Lots of waterfront spots and for those who aren't interested in waterfront there's a whole loop just for you . That also happens to be the loop with both bathhouses .
    The park was clean and well kept nice level pads some with concrete pads . Each site had a grill and fire ring most had picnic tables . Fees are $22 a day no tax . If I had to slight them on anything it would be the distance between the 2 lakeside loops and the facilities. You also have to go almost to the ranger station to get to the fish cleaning station it did however look nice as well as being screened in .

7. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Mar 23, 2015
    Glad to see this, we were looking at East Bank but decided on Seminole St Pk, largely because we couldn't find any reviews. I'm not <b>that</b> cheap, but I do like booking CoE campgrounds and getting that great 50% Old Dude discount (National Parks senior pass applies to all federal land facilities). We'll drive over and check it out when we're at Seminole this Thanksgiving

8. SHFL

SHFL Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    NegrilJerry, you might also want to check out Cotton Hill -- it is also a CoE park.

9. Chaaalie

Chaaalie Member

Mar 16, 2016
    We are headed to Eastbank in March (would have preferred the state park nearby, but they won't let us reserve specific sites -- and since we are meeting 2 other families knowing we can be close to each other pushed us to this campground).

Any info or reviews would be appreciated ... and I am not familiar with COE campgrounds (are there any peculiar rules? Are they considered "federal" land? Guess I need to do some research [:D]

10. Chaaalie

Chaaalie Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Just got back from Eastbank COE Campground near Bainbridge, Ga. and it is beautiful. We were on the lake, with beautiful views. We met my sister's family (another pop-up, came over from Texas) and my brother's family (he rented an RV and came down from New Jersey). Each of us have spouses, 2 girls ... and 5 dogs between us ... and despite less-than-perfect weather, I have to say the trip was a big success. (Despite not having the play areas that most state parks offer, there was plenty of space and well made & maintained sites and roads, so the kids managed to find plenty to do, even when we had days of wind, rain and even freezing temps.)

We chose Eastbank because it allowed us to select specific sites, ensuring the families would be close. The nearby state parks were unwilling to accommodate that request.

Each site has BOTH a fire ring with grate as well as a post grill. The pads are concrete and nearly perfectly level (only slight concession is for runoff -- it is the Army Corps of Engineers!) despite a fair amount of rain one day, the entire campground drained well -- and during heavier rains it was apparent that drainage was a major consideration in the planning.

Many sites are pull-through, most on the two lakeside loops are oriented to take advantage of the views offered ... the facilities, however are on the land side loop, so the more lakefront you are, the further from the bathrooms, laundry and VERY NICE showers.

I have seen some reviews that mentioned ants being a problem, but clearly my predecessor at the site had used borax or boric acid on the pad -- and I brought a little Amdro for one problem mound ... but in all, I have seen much, much worse.

Staff was very helpful and engaging ... nearest town is Chatahoochee, Florida, just across the border (probably 1.5 miles). There isn't much there, but there is a little hardware store, a convenience store that acts as a small grocery, a few restaurants (a Hardee's, a sports bar and a seafood place) ... and not very much more. (Worth noting: firewood is not readily available, I ended finally finding some at a small vegetable/flower/seafood stand in Sneads -- just past the local state prison.)

Another note for convenience, the campground is right on the Eastern/Central timeline, so we all "locked" our phones to Eastern time so we could coordinate better -- they kept switching back and forth before we changed them.)

Beautiful place, we'd definitely go again.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017