electric brake kit

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by lucky13don, Mar 9, 2017.

1. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    has anyone bought a brake kit from etrailer?thinking of adding brakes to my jayco. give me the good and bad..

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I have. They will see that you get what you need and I believe they have a video of the job.
    They are a great company to work with.

3. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 30, 2016
    SC PA
    I got my brakes, bearings, seals, wire, connectors, to do the whole job from R&P Carriages on Ebay. About $100 less than etrailer and they are genuine dexter brakes. Highly recommend. Great small business with excellent costumer service.

lucky13don likes this.
  4. 00 Quad Cab

00 Quad Cab Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Just recently bought all new replacement parts from etrailer, services was great.

The only thing I would have done different is speed up the shipping, I was in no hurry but it was almost painful to watch the tracking.

Stevens38 likes this.
  5. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Rocket City, USA
    Does anyone make an affordable trailer mounted electric controler?

The simplicity of e-brakes w/o having to wire a controler in the tow vehicle. Just tap the 12V wire to the camper and use an inertial switch to actuate like the ones for inside a towed car.

6. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Rocket City, USA
    Yes, but they sure want plenty for that. Don't see why it should be 2-3x the cost of an in vehicle proportional controller.

And I really don't need the RF connected in vehicle part. Hydraulic systems don't need that.

I just want something like a $50 time delay controller that uses an inertial witch, or something on the hitch, to activate the brakes instead of wire on the pedal switch.

I can setup the delay and braking curve same as you would a hydraulic system.

I just want to give my small TV a little help braking as I'm on the edge of it's towing capacity.

7. Maury.Morgan

Maury.Morgan New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    If this is the case, your really eating up the axle in whatever it is that you're towing with. However, why don't you just bug down and get a hydraulic system?

8. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Rocket City, USA
    I may. That means changing the tounge though, right?

Or I may just go with a controller in the cabin. Was just thinking an alterantuve mighr exist.