Electrical problem

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by 1biologist, Dec 24, 2018.

1. 1biologist

1biologist New Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Hahahaha that's great....and that's why they get paid the big bucks. I have not tried the heat. Currently my pop up is up and the entire top of the window is unzipped/ ripped all the way to the sides. With it like that, it is just barely Velcros to the door. Either way I have approximately two feet of ripped vinyl from zipper that would have to be fixed. I am going to work on it Saturday as Sunday it's supposed to rain. Struggling to get it done..... tired at 8 1/2 months pregnant. My windows are also yellow but that is because I have been using pledge to clean them for many years... lol, but they are not brittle in the least, they are actually just like feeling new windows. The RV show is coming up in a couple of weeks in Tampa Bay, I am going to try and go just to check out what's new . I will try the heat and let you know.

2. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Don't see rain in my forecast. First time in MONTHS with no rain forecast for 6+ days. That is a coincidence that BOTH ours are windows near the door, curb-side. Mine isn't torn, just very, very tight.
    With no trouble on the much bigger, vinyl window on other side, right? You have every reason to be tired. I'm glad your windows aren't feeling stiff or brittle. I will try the Maguire's stuff, since they make great products for cars.

Shall we move on to organic chemistry now? As in, the volatile compound components in those vinyl-like windows will evaporate first and leave the rest behind? Nya--ha ha! You know there's a BUNCH of women scientists on this board, at least in FL region? Come to a rally after baby comes.
    I store mine usually with the vinyl all zipped up. You have every right to be tired. The PUP can wait.

1biologist likes this.
  3. 1biologist

1biologist New Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Amazing hearing the same thing about the windows. I swear if I had continued to use my camper very frequently, it would never have shrunk. Yes I'm a tired mama.....are you sitting down.... When I deliver in 4 weeks I will be 53. Yes I said it 53 years old.
    A rally sounds fun . Something to look forward to.

4. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    GOOD for you! Wow, my last babe was at 39.
    Until I read your posts I thought I just hadn't leveled correctly or such, the last 2 times out.
    That panel of mine partly pulled out of the channel on top, right next to door too. I need to put it back. Only way I know is using a screwdriver and a LOT of patience or colorful language, to get that back in. Canvas is in good shape except for one small patch I need to do. I found an outdoor fabric remnant at fabric store last week, in similar color that should do nicely.

1biologist likes this.
  5. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I have to go to Tampa for a meeting around Feb. 1. So I might catch the RV show then? Fun.

6. 1biologist

1biologist New Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I spoke to a knowledgeable man at Bear Creek yesterday. I learned something. He said because I wash and seal my camper so much, the sealer actually shrunk my canvas. I was surprised as I thought it was a good idea to seal it every year. It is also weird that just my window side shrunk when the beds are the ones made up mostly of canvas. Anyway its $200 for the 1 window and $1050.00 for the entire camper. I think we are going to do the full camper because if he is correct than the rest of camper will probably go soon. It is a shame cause the rest of my canvas is in great shape. The down side to doing one side at a time besides the extra expense is you have to send them the old canvas. Apparently the zipper for my front window that attaches to the bed is not made anymore so the physically have to take the zipper off the old canvas to put it on the new window. This is the second benefit to replacing all at once. Then I can sell my old canvas to someone else to try and recoup some of the money.
    We still haven't looked into the electrical issue.....way too much going on.

7. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Not quite sure that is the full answer for you, yet. I have not ever sealed the canvas on my camper, in 3 yrs of having it. Yet that same panel shrunk on me, a little-- at least the vinyl Window part did. I have all the 303 I need to re-waterproof, but usually only took PUP camping only in dry weather for other reasons. The rare times I have sprinkled the canvas, it seemed to bead up anyway.
    If your bed ends are fine, consider replacing that one panel that includes the window. If you have the window down, and just the screen open, does it still fit? If so, then I suspect Window shrinkage rather than canvas shrinkage. That is what seems to be my issue.
    I guess if you have to send them the window panel AND the bed end it might be worth it to do it all.
    What is your Coleman model?

8. 1biologist

1biologist New Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Other than that front window, all other areas are in good shape. Still cannot believe it jiju shrunk.

Attached Files:

9. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    That is one beautiful canvas! Was it the front window next to the door that tore? I can't see anything clearly wrong.
    I have been thinking on this some more. Did it give loose right at the stitching? These seem to be sewn together with cotton thread. FL weather and humidity is not friendly to cotton. At least, My dear departed awning had been sewn to the umm, support noodle-like thing-in-the-channel with cotton, which gave out.
    My curtains were sewn together with nylon thread, which will survive longer than dinosaur bones (maybe).
    I am having different canvas woes from you. Tried to get rid of several stains from a prior leak & mold, and only partly succeeded this weekend. I'll start a different thread. I would rather not buy a whole new bed-end canvas, as the staining is purely aesthetic at this time.
    But overall, I am feeling better today about my PUP than a month ago.