Electrical Question

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Catwoman, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lynchburg, VA
    Hello Everyone,
    Camping at Falls Lake this weekend. First time I've just stayed in the camper rather than working or taking a class during the day. Don't want to leave! I bought a 2006 Fleetwood Bayside last summer and have never been able to get the interior lights to work. Last November, I replaced all the fuses and they worked for a little bit but it shorted out almost everything. An RV place fixed the blown fuses and replaced my dead battery (which had been dead a long time). This is the first time I've been out. I hooked up to power and turned on the refrigerator. The whole time the blower fan for the inverter was running. It never turned off. It got really cold last night and the food in the frig was freezing, so I turned off the frig. Immediately the inverter fan cut off. Does that mean the kill switch under the kitchen unit is no good? (long story short).... Beverly

2. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
    The frig typically runs off 3 sources. Propane, 12V and 120V. You can only run off one source at a time. The dead battery and inverter fan could be a cause of running on 12v, which you do not want to do when using the PUP, it's only used while towing cause it will drain the battery really fast if not hooked to the TV's 12v charging system. I suggest you check your source on the back of the frig. 120V if on shore power or propane if no-power. Propane is the most efficient.

As for the lights not working. Yes that switch is called the galley switch which could be bad. A simple way to check is to jumper the wires together connected to the switch.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    The episode with the blower fan and the refrigerator has nothing to do with the galley switch. The lights do however. Do what Pozi said.

4. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thank you for the replies. This is the first time I've camped without ALL the manuals. When I hook to power there are two switches, one green and one red. And then there is the propane. I've always flipped both the switches thinking that was how you got the frig to run on the hookup for power. Is that right or wrong. Is one switch for electric and one for the battery? Will try propane after I figure out the switches!

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Looks like you have the fridge running on both 120V shore power and 12V at the same time. Figure out which switch is 12V and turn that one off when plugged in to shore power.

The converter is trying to power the fridge and charge a dead battery, so it could be blowing fuses and will definitely run its fan nonstop with the high draw. That would also explain why the fridge got so cold since it had two power sources.

6. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
  7. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lynchburg, VA
  8. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lynchburg, VA
    I went out and looked at the switches after all your help and saw the two switches and how they are clearly labeled and the note that says very CLEARlY about choosing only one at a time. Okay I don't want to say I feel like a dummy but DUH!

9. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Sorry that you feel that way but at least you now know something useful
    I would say that you have been educated but some people don’t like that word.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Lol, i lole to look at in another way, you dont know what you dont know. Cant know something if it was never learned.

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Exactly! That's why I always tell folks there are no dumb questions. You won't learn if you don't ask!!
    If your not sure ask! There are a lot of experienced folks on this portal and more than likely you will get the right answer!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lynchburg, VA

13. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lynchburg, VA
    I love being educated.I never have pulled anything or had a camper. When I bought my camper the battery was dead. So overtime I hooked up, I just turned up both switches. I put a new battery in in November and just took it out this weekend. NEVER would have gotten the connection if you all hadn't answered my question. Just didn't "see" it. I love this group. Thanks for helping me out.

14. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Glad I helped.

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Always ask questions, never think one is dumb. I learned everything on this site. All good.