Even worth it? Getting discouraged...

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by jaynine89, May 1, 2018.

1. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Angle grinder or dremel are your new best friends!

2. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    May have to be making some purchases... Lol.

3. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I think the biggest point is the original hardware is a hoist approved pull point. An eye bolt is really not the right part, but is a decent replacement if required in a pinch - which is where Jay is at... I'm much rather replace with a hoist approved fixture (my link above http://www.liftingbolts.com/hoist-ring-lifting-eye-stainless-steel-eyelet-4057294.html ) or weld the eyelet closed. If you see his side by side photos of the eye bolt and original pull point, you'll see that it is a solid hoist point.

I would rather reuse the original if at all possible.

4. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    Wish I'd thought all that through before I brought an eye bolt home and spent 3 days waiting around for the guy at Ace to get to crimping the cable through it. Now I'll have to get a new cable because I don't think I can cut the new crimp off without damaging the cable itself. I'd like to explore options on getting it crimped by someone else, too. Like I said, Ace didn't seem overly confident their crimping tool would be able to do the job to the spec it needed.

I only hope I can get all this done before we leave on Friday.

5. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Harbor Freight = just good enough tool company. Home of the $20 angle grinder! Cheaper with a coupon

jnc likes this.
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Considered a Grade 8 bolt and really big washers? You could bolt to the original pull point. Grade 8, not crappy hardware grade bolt. Grade 8 washer too. But, I would get it re-crimped again later.... I've repaired a lot of winch cables like this: I run my plow jeep with a atv winch to run blade up and down...?

jnc likes this.
  7. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

Thanks for the explanation!

J Starsky likes this.
  8. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    Initially, my biggest concern with using wire rope clips is that I'm concerned about the bulk of them, and accidentally catching them on something underneath there. But I just looked through my pictures again, and I think the dead end of the cable is far enough away from anything else that I may be able to make it work. I'd still like to get rid of the guide if possible, and if I can get the original cable off of the original main eye bolt, then the only thing I really need to purchase right now is the rope clips.

I've got some ideas of how to make this work floating in my head...

You mentioned a Grade 8 bolt. How would that work? The 5 bolts I'm dealing with are all eye-bolts. Just wondering what your thought process is here.

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I mean take your original part and run a bolt thru it and the cable loop you have now. The bolt holds the cable to the eye. Must be huge washers to hold it all together. Like a barbell with the cable and eye where your hand holds the barbell..? Thinking out loud mostly.... Gotta be big grade 8 bolts and washers. Hardware bolts are too weak.

10. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    Ooooh, okay, I think I understand what you're talking about. That would be quite a contraption. Do most hardware stores carry grade 8?

11. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    Are you talking about something like this? 15264952782221060515750.jpg

J Starsky likes this.
  12. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Yep. I would plan to do it the right way for sure later, but this would get you pulling right away. Nice plan view drawing dude

You can find Grade 8 at the hardware store, but they are in separate draws - just ask them to point them out. The regular bins are Grade 2 and softer metals than you want to rely on. Just ask the folks there and they will point you to the right stuff. Grade 8 washers will be thicker as well, keep them both side of this, and they will crush in and hold cable from slipping off. Go with the biggest bolt you can get thru that cable loop, just as you drawing shows. Prolly a 1/2 or more diameter.

IF you can't get that cable re-crimped, it might be the best option for your trip this weekend. This is the right now plan, not the done right plan afterall! You need to go back and redo it the right way later, don't forget.

13. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I'm the Chief Engineer at Ghettotech Industrial Services - GIS HOLLA YA HEARD! [B)][LOL]

14. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    Ive been a draftsman for the last 4 years, so i have a little practice. Lol.

Im thinking a washer on either side of the eye bolt and the cable, so 3 or 4 total. Ill have to get the existing cable off of the old eye bolt.

So this solves the problem of needing rhe cable crimped, but ill still have to figure out the guide. You made a good point that it would be smart to keep it instead of cut it, i just have to get the rest of it out of there.

Power is off at work, and I'm tempted to leave to get started on this project...

15. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Your wife called: There is water in the basement and the pilot light is out. You gotta go (double points for Ocean's 13 reference)

You've got it right, the more washers the less it can move about, and should be pretty much pull straight backwards. You could use a hacksaw to free the cable off the old part if you really gotta do it. Bolt cutter or really sharp wire cutters? I dunno, but I'd try anything twice. You could stop by your local mom & pop mechanic shop and ask them to buzz it off - prolly offer $5 or donuts?

16. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    Ive got a friend coming over with an angle grinder, think that eould get through it?

17. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    It will get thru the cable, your finger and the hand of your friend's unborn child as well. I use mine for cable cutting at home. Dangerous but fun!

18. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    We will be careful. Noted. Lol.

J Starsky likes this.
  19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I think on of these may help you connect the cable Loop.
    [​IMG]Sorry for the BIG pic:oops:

J Starsky likes this.
  20. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    Good idea, I'll see if I can find either of these and let you guys know how it goes.

J Starsky likes this.