Exterior Lights

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by CAmZay, Oct 29, 2017.

1. CAmZay

CAmZay New Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Southern Nevada
    I'll be as brief as possible:
    1988 Coleman Chesapeake
    No exterior lights worked. I replaced the pup side 4 pin conn to where wiring enters trailer frame. (good ground too). Side note: this was a 6 pin, but prior owner converted to 4.
    I also replaced the tail lights...old ones were really nasty.
    After this, i have tail and running lights...but no turn signals or brake lights.
    TV is 03' Land Rover Discovery 2. Tow harness is brand new & ran everything fine on a trailer I towed in August.
    Any suggestions?

2. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

I’d first try testing the 4 pin from your TV (tow vehicle) with a multimeter or a $5 plug-in like this. Strange as it seems I had a Curt T-Connector go bad on me several years ago. I actually sent it back to them and asked them to see if they could bench test it. Needless to say they sent me a replacement back and I have been good since.

Otherwise I’d make sure your double filament 1157 bulbs are in correctly. It is possible they twisted in and are not making proper contact in the sockets.

If no luck there you’ll need to test with a multimeter at the sockets.

Other members may know if your PUP has a secondary fuse panel inside or outside that has a brake/turn fuse panel to check too. Page 25-26 of this was not clear on the exact location of the fuse. http://popupportal.com/manuals/Coleman/Coleman_1988.pdf

Hopefully you won’t have to rewire the trailer as you only need 4 wires if you do not have brakes, reverse lights or a battery on the PUP.

Good luck!

0D6D79F0-1E2F-4175-A7D4-D2C36C489172.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    CAmZay likes this.
  3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Check out the ETRAILER COM page online. They have everything for trailer wiring and lots of good info even with videos. Lots of drawings as well for wiring...

Roy Ken

etrailerJohn and CAmZay like this.
  4. CAmZay

CAmZay New Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Southern Nevada
    Thanks!

5. Fless

Fless Active Member

Have the lights ever worked? Or is this a new problem?

Separate the Tow Vehicle from the PuP, electrically-speaking; no hitch, no wires. Get a good 12v DC source, like a spare battery or a charger with at least 4 or 5 amp capacity (not a battery tender), and test each PuP circuit individually. Get and use a voltmeter, or find a friend with one. If everything works, move back to the TV to troubleshoot.

Make sure that the turn signal circuits are illuminating the brighter filament on the brake light bulbs, and that the running light is the dimmer filament -- circuits can get switched around and bulbs can go bad. With power removed, ohm the taillight ground from the fixture to a good ground on the frame. Taillight grounds and bad bulbs can affect marker lights. Or substitute a solid ground from the taillight to the chassis to see if that works.

Your problem could be as simple as a bad ground connection near the hitch or elsewhere; if they've not been taken apart and cleaned, try that, there may be more than one. Visual inspection is not definitive. There could also be a wire (ground or hot) disconnected or missing in the taillight circuit, maybe in the taillight fixture if the marker light circuit is fed through it.

Good luck, and post the solution or results of tests!
    _

CAmZay likes this.
  6. Fless

Fless Active Member

@CAmZay, I just re-read your original post. It could be that what appears to be tail lights are the brake lights (the taillight circuit is incorrectly powering the brighter filament), and that may be why brake and turn signals don't show up. The dimmer filament won't overcome the brighter filament for illumination. Wiring may be switched in the taillight assembly or in the hitch connector. Check to be sure that the dimmer filament (usually the one on the longer stems inside the bulb, but I could be wrong) is being powered for taillights.

Not sure what style of bulb you have, but this might be of interest:
    https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...with-two-filaments-know-which-one-to-light-up

Hope that helps.
    _

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  7. CAmZay

CAmZay New Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Southern Nevada
    Thanks for that tip! I will check this out for sure.

8. CAmZay

CAmZay New Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Southern Nevada
    I did find a Reese trailer side plug/wires with the LED indicators built in to show circuit continuity. Neither the brake or turn signal circuit lights up...same issue with both lights. I'm unable to do anything for a few days..so I'll post an update when I figure out what's going on.

9. CAmZay

CAmZay New Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Southern Nevada
    Update: My tow vehicle is a Land Rover Disco 2. There is a connector behind the r/h brake light to plug into the trailer wiring system, the you feed the wires & trailer plug out the bottom to the hitch area. In-line with this is a converter that takes the euro. 5 wiring (separate brake & turn circuits) to the US 4 wire combining the brake/turn to the same wire. I purchased this new from British Atlantic ($130 for "specialized" part). The converter was crapped out! I'd only used the part 3x since purchasing it, so that was the last place I would have thought to look...but when there was literally nothing else to try, I went there & sure enough found the problem! (GRRRRR!)

Now that I have that solved, I got everything put together & find another problem that has me baffled!

All my exterior lights work now...except...the turn/brake is very, very dim...almost can't tell they are working at all. I did some research and found that if I replace the 2057 bulb with a 2357, the turn/brake filament on the bulb draws more current so it should be brighter. Tried it, no difference.

I'm stumped.

10. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado