Fall camping in Zion National Park Advise?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by lovelymae, Feb 10, 2019.

1. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Hanford, California
    We have started to plan a late October early November fall trip to Zion National Park this year. Anyone have any advise or stories of their travels to Zion that time of year? We are looking at staying in the Watchman Campground if anyone has stayed there and has any words of wisdom on that as well?

Stories, advise, photos all welcome!

Thank you [:D]

2. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Did you already get reservations at Watchman? It's pretty hard to get reservations there, but if you have them, fantastic.

The campground has electric hookups at some of its sites. Some sites do not have. None of the sites have water hookups -- just a shared faucet for filling jugs. You'll also have to trap your own gray water, as there are no sewer hookups. But the scenery is fantastic, and you are close to Springdale if you want to enjoy some souvenir shopping or a meal in town.

The weather toward the end of October begins to turn cool. You'll be glad to have a furnace at night. In November this will be even more important. Since the limiting factor on furnace use is usually how much battery power you can carry with you, you might want to confirm that you do have electric hookups, or find out ahead of time what the generator policy is. Depending on the length of your trip you may need to top off the batteries.

I've camped many times at Zion River Resort campground, about 20 minutes west of Zion National Park. It's not as rustic. In fact, in some ways it's like a condo campus with RVs instead of condo units. But it does have fire rings, full hookups, showers, laundry facility, a pool, small shop, game room with pool table, weeknight and weekend activities for kids, and a nice staff. We choose that destination because getting in is a sure thing, whereas Watchman takes work and good luck to be able to obtain a reservation. Plus, we prefer hookups at Zion, particularly in the summer months.

I have camped there in October before, even the last week in October. But never in November. It should usually be just fine; a little on the cool side, but not full blown winter yet.

shuang2 likes this.
  3. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I believe that the reservation window opens up 6 months in advance.

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    If you want to visit a near by national park: the Bryce Canyon in Nov., then it is not a good time because of snow will mostly cover the park at that time.

5. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Hanford, California
    @davido So it will be the last week of October and a few days into November. I've been there before in November when I was younger so I know to prepare for the cold. I looked at that Zion River Resort, it seems really nice and will for sure keep it on the list if Watchman doesn't work out. @MNTCamper I tried looking at reservations for Watchman but they aren't available yet, I have to wait until March it looks like for booking. I was looking in the B loop, they have electric which is all we really need.

@shuang2 Thanks for the tip! We are going to stick with Zion for this trip because we have family coming out to meet us and really want to go to Zion.