Fall Camping without Electric

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Miller Family, May 18, 2017.

1. Miller Family

Miller Family New Member

May 18, 2017
    I have a 2013 Jayco Jay Series 1206 with a propane furnace. Since electric sites are more difficult to come by, I'm wondering if I can use the furnace without an electric hookup? We could fill the water tank and casette potty at a campground's water station, so if the furnace works (and it's too cool for A/C, I think the only thing we'd be missing is lights and stereo?)

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Granted the Furnace runs off your propane tank but the blower for it runs off of your DC. It pulls alot of DC amps. The rule of thumb I have experienced is one night one battery when running the furnace...

My backup heat source is the MR BUDDY heater but you have to carefully watch the dangers associated with the MR BUDDY heaters...

Changing the incandescent automotive lights over to LEDs is a big savings on DC power consumption...

We have been camping off road in our POPUP trailer in the fall and sometimes even into the cold winter night since 2009 and our battery bank has 255AHs capacity. We do just about every thing we do at electric sites except run the Air Conditioner and high wattage Microwave... Everything is about the same usage... This requires us to run the 2KW generator each morning around 8AM for three hours to get the battery bank back up to its 90% charge state so we can do all of this all over again for the next day/night battery run.

I will say however running the furnace does us in so we don't run it much when camping off grid... Its to loud and puts off too much heat for our small footprint trailer anyway... We like lots of cover for the beds haha...

Makes that morning big bon-fire and fresh ground and brewed bean coffee taste soooooo good... We usually just run the MR BUDDY heater until we go to bed then it goes off when we do that for safety reasons.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Not sure where you are (what kind of temps you'd be dealing with) but I regularly camp spring & fall with low temps in the low 40's (37 tonight) and go 3-4 nights running the furnace (conservatively) off battery. I never have hook-ups so I upgraded my propane tank to a 30# and run a 29 series deep cycle Interstate battery. (No I don't monitor it and I am aware that it might not be the "correct" thing for a battery) :grin:

4. lostboy

lostboy New Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Here is a post I did to make sure my thought process/math was right with my set up. It also has a chart that was posted to it by another member.
    By that account I had a few more nights left. Bring a back up heat source if you have one and warm clothes.

We used a lantern inside and turned on our LED interior lights sparingly as it was our first trip running the furnace on battery and I didn't know what to expect.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    When we camp with no hookups where the nights get cold we just run the furnace before we go to bed to get the chill off so we change without freezing. In the morning I will do the same. We don't leave it on all night. Just were some warm PJ's and heavier blankets. Depending what temp you have the thermostat set at and what the temps get down to at night will really determine how long your battery(s) will last.

6. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Surprise, AZ
    We currently do not have a battery, so we use a propane heater (with battery operated carbon monoxide detectors) and run that at night. We also have lots of warm blankets on the bedding at night. Last trip it was nice and cozy.

if you dont have a battery for power for lights you could get some battery operated LED puck lights, I picked up a package of 4 at Sams Club for $20, remote operated, dimmable, kid loved that you could change the colors. and it put off enough light inside for us.

7. Alan

Alan Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Just need the 12 volt set up with a good deep cycle battery. Our pup came with a nice solar panel which keep everything juiced up and ready for the night. Haven't camped where there are hook ups yet...and probably never will.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Years ago I ran a hook up from my vehicle battery out the grill, I started the TV then plugged the cord in that was attached to the battery in the TV and hooked it up to the unit, this charged the TT battery faster, also we could hook up outside lights while running the TV if needed. Once the battery was charged we unplugged the cord and put it away until needed again

9. awaite

awaite New Member

May 16, 2014
    Greenville, WI
    And after camping with neighbormike last weekend, I learned that he keeps his camper at 40 degrees at night :).

10. bob barnes

bob barnes Active Member

Mar 26, 2017
    We took an early spring trip this year got into some 20d wx at times we were gone 6 weeks on that trip. we boonedocked all the way we ran our camco 3 heater at night we never got cost but I can assure an A-Liner is not very tight thus we didn't worry about venting at all! We did a lot of indoor cooking and after about 3 ms took it to have it filled it took 2 gals to fill it back up

11. lostboy

lostboy New Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    and I thought keeping mine at 48 was low!!!

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    It was most definitely not 40... especially after others (whom shall remain nameless) manipulated the thermostat to roast a guy & his poor dog!! [CF][A]

13. jackquontee

jackquontee Member

Apr 24, 2013
    I have two 20lb propane tanks and, last year, I installed 2 Group 29 Interstate batteries, and I have a mobile 120 watt solar panel kit. I'm ready.

I've not camped during the fall but, this year, I intend to. I'm paying every month for this 2016 Aliner Expedition - I'm going to get my use out of it.!

14. neighbormike

neighbormike Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    ^^ Awesome!!!!

15. Alan

Alan Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    We camped up until the campgrounds closed last year. No problems at all. Cold at night? Fire the furnace! Cold in the morning? Fire the furnace! The furnace can run you right out of there! The thermostat for it works really well; a furnace is a must have, in my book.