Favorite Camping Book?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by BigTap, Feb 28, 2018.

1. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Haliburton, Ontario
    Now, back to this great thread.....
    I just ordered Popping up in America and downloaded A Walk in the Woods to my iPad! I will now start a list of others to buy/download!

Jorja likes this.
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Let us know what you think about Popping Up Across America. I still have not read the whole thing. Not sure I ever will. It's just awful. I don't always share the opinion of the masses, so bought it to try for myself. This is one time I totally agree with the masses. Not a camping book at all. I hope you enjoy it more than I have.

A Walk in the Woods is awesome!

3. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Haliburton, Ontario
    Popping Up Across America is due to arrive tomorrow. I will for sure give you my thoughts.
    I plan on starting A Walk in the Woods this weekend. It's a long weekend so I should be able to get some good reading time in!

Orchid likes this.
  4. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Bryson's a walk in the woods was great. Read it about 10 years or so when it first came out. Just saw that it is now on Audible and sounds like a great book to listen to while on next week's trip to pickup the new TT in IN and taking the long way home. Hope to spend about a week camping if schedule permits.

Listened to Burns National Parks book while traveling last week.

Still reading a bit of popping up across america on my phone while stuck waiting for things when out - I guess means it falls into the better than nothing category for me

Orchid likes this.
  5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Not to hijack this thread, but have you (NorthernSpirit), ever gone camping at Sleepy Hollow? It's a private campground about 10 minutes north of Haliburton, right on Pine Lake. Kind of a neat little spot. Super nice owners there. They just bought it last year and aim to please. We had the Ontario rally there last year. If you go there, take along a few extra 20 amp old style screw in glass fuses. The electrical there is a little unreliable.

Snow likes this.
  6. 1114vontagen

1114vontagen New Member

Sep 14, 2015
    Station Wagon Living published several times by the Ford Motor Company in the late 1950's

Orchid likes this.
  7. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    for $2.99 on Kindle I couldn't resist. Thanks. Makes me miss my old Apache.
    [​IMG]

Orchid, NorthernSpirit and jnc like this.
  8. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Haliburton, Ontario
    No we haven't, but we do know the new owners (Sharon more so than Rick) quite well, as they used to live near us. Sharon and I served on the local business association board together. And to quote you, they are "super nice"! We may do our 2nd outing there. Glad to hear they have a good reputation! They used to own Pinegrove Point Campground over in Harcourt. They also had a good following there.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Sharon and Rick were super great with our group, pretty much last minute, due to all the Provincial Parks that had flooded sites, she made room for 5 of us, crammed us all onto 3 sites, but hey, at least she had room..

We spent the week there after the rally, the campground certainly is different when it is nearly empty..

I still have the two spare 20amp fuses I picked up a couple days after Wrench blowing like 4 of them with his ice maker..

10. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up the airplane there man! I think the fuses were doing just fine on the ice maker. I think the problem was when a certain person's (Snow's) pot luck crock pot full of chili got plugged in and turned on. Fuses were blowing and popping all over the place, and old Bill(?) was having a hard time finding replacements. On a positive note, the chili was great!

Sorry for hijacking this book thread. Carry on....

11. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    And Old Bill told me that he was going to start charging you for the fuses!

...and back to reading....[RTM]

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    After the park cleared out he was walking around checking all the posts to see if there were fuses still .. lol.

Ok back to the books.. unless wrench high jacks the thread again..

13. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Haliburton, Ontario
    Sounds like you all could write a book about your Rallies!

14. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Rallies are a great way to get to know the people you talk with on here. You should come to the next one and meet up with us, even if just for the day. Check out the rally section and read up on the Ont Summer Rally. Not sure if there are any sites left, but if not, there is also the Thanksgiving getogether.

Back to the books. Carry on.....

There are 2 bad guys and 2 bank employees locked in the Bank vault in the town of Schalene Pass, Texas. Ooooh, things are getting good! Book is 'The Law in Somos Santos', by Ralph Cotton.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Another fav. Blue Highways by William Least Heat -Moon. (a journey into America) He takes a long trip in an old re-modeled van and goes on the old highways, interesting book to read.

16. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

May 13, 2010
    I have 4, the first is "the Old Man's Boy" and " The Old Man's Boy grows Older" by Robert Ruark. The next two are by NG, "National Parks" and "State Parks". And lastly the diaries of Lewis and Clarke.

17. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Any pages missing ;)

Orchid likes this.
  18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Nope, paper is to slick :)

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I may write one titled "Dump Station Follies" as you can guess it"s about the adventures at dump stations, one or two of mine, but mostly about others... Like the guy wearing flip flops, no stinky slinky, lined up as best he could to dump connection, pulled the dump handle and "Let 'er Rip", if he was lucky 20% made into the drain... the rest had to be hosed towards and into the drain... Guy didn't even hose off his feet/flip flops, just jumped in his Caddy (Avalanche version) and left... I'm pretty sure 80% of his black tank covered his feet at some point.

Ok there that was part of Ch. 1 .. lol

NorthernSpirit likes this.
  20. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

May 29, 2013
    Surprisingly, I found a book a couple years back in the Library of Congress I think was called "The Book of Camping." Really old book from the early 1900's. I started to read it out of curiosity and ended up reading it front to back. Camping back then meant survival skills and I found a lot of basic cooking and survival skills I had forgotten since scouting and camping with my dad.
    In a area without utilities, the guy that knows how to get by is gold.