Favorite camping spots - East Coast

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by JHOP, Oct 26, 2017.

1. JHOP

JHOP Member

Oct 6, 2017
    See attached map. We live in the Raleigh, NC area. I'm looking for favorite camping spots within a 5 hour drive. What are your favorites? Here are some things we have done/are planning:

We plan on going to Disney World in June 2018 and staying overnight in the Lake Marion (SC) area.

We also plan on doing Hershey sometime (a bit further than 5 hours but worth it because we know it well (we used to live in MD).

We tent camped at Chippokes Plantation State Park last year and it was the perfect spot for us. Lots of shaded campsites with clean amenities and stuff to do nearby.

I've driven through the WV mountains before (family is in Cleveland) but never camped there. I have heard WV is fantastic for camping?

Mind sharing your favorite spots with me?

Attached Files:

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We love going to the Myrtle beach area and up and down the Ocean side wooded and beach parks...

Our real love tho is the high country camping along the Virginia / Wesy Virginia wooded state border and up and down the Blue Ridge parkway... Not to bad in NC either in the high country...

Like the Smokey Mountain ELKMONT camp and one of our big favorites in CLOUDLAND CANYON up on the Lookout Mtn in North Georgia high country...

All the kids gone now so we like to get off-road... Our big time is waking up in the morning to nice bon-fire creekside drinking some of our fresh ground and brewed bean coffee watching the fish jump in the creek...

This is how we typically look camping off grid somewhere...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's Image Medicine Park OKLA

Most often like this along the Blue Ridge Parkway somewhere

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Jorja likes this.
  3. JHOP

JHOP Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Cool set-up. I'm guessing it was chilly on the Blue Ridge Parkway that trip? We have an RT, too so I was excited to see your pics.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome from Northern Virginia. One place I like in NC is Jordan Lake State Rec. Beautiful lake view on electric sites and some non electric sites are water front. Bathrooms can be quite a walk from some sites so choose your site carefully. I visit nearly every year for the two state Dutch oven gathering held out there. There is another place I love, but it's a much longer drive for you. It's Ohiopyle State Park in PA. Its in the mountains and the hill to the campground is very steep. It has great hiking trails, white water rafting, quaint general store. Sadly I'm not as familiar with the campgrounds here in VA yet as my heart has been in PA. I've been to a couple places around here but nothing I could call my favorite. I'd be curious to see the responses as well.

Jorja likes this.
  5. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I go summer and winter around here in my RT. I can drain my one fresh water tank which will also drain down most of my hot water heater if I open the hot water spigot. Then i use a 12VDC tankless portable air compressor to blow out my very few water water lines... Have not froze up anything yet... I can go anytime and just add fresh water and I'm good to go...

My local place here is Westmoreland State Park VA which closes down the facilities during the winter but they let come camp off-road there... This is like 25 miles away from I live... The ranger that lives there sees me and come out and has coffee with me haha... I'm always testing out something...

My 2008 14RT will go anywhere my 4WD truck will pull it...

My 2008 batteries finally bit the dust last season and I'm building up a bigger and better battery bank across my tongue area... Should have all of that going by next season... Going to add two grous of GC2 6VDC batteries in series... This will give around 440AHs of capacity.
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

I can haul some serious camping supplies and items between my RT front deck and the bed of my Truck.
    [​IMG]
    Google image

These are the kind of spots I look for in the woods haha Back my RT up to the top and I'm good to go haha...
    [​IMG]
    Google Image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Jorja likes this.
  6. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    We stayed at Tall Pines Harbor Campground in Temperanceville, VA this past summer - http://tallpinesharbor.com/ - campsites we had were sized well, mostly sand...pull through sites in another section were either under pine trees and some were HUGE...or in the open with new landscaping which was very nice. 2 pools plus a beach, pier for fishing or crabbing, tidal pond, playground and jumping pillow for the kids.....

The nicest thing was it was kind of in the middle of nowhere, but only @15-20 minutes to civilization and stores etc.....the drive over to Chincoteague was maybe 1/2 hour, NASA museum on the way...bunches of things to do within a reasonable distance. Because we had our TT, we got a water/electric site but I don't remember what the cost was...reasonable though for what we got.....

Jorja likes this.
  7. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I am going to have go visit this place. I spent alot of time in my working days at a JORDAN LAKE Space Surveillance Transmitter Site named after Jordan lake near Wetumpka ALA. When I see the name Jordan Lake pop up I always raise an eyebrow haha...

I go down into NC alot in a couple of their Natl Forest areas. They has some way back in the woods camping down that way below Cherokee NC. All kinds of folks water rafting too..

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Jorja likes this.
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in Virginia is nice. Grindstone National Forest Campground is fantastic. Most sites are over 100 feet deep. Racoon Branch and Hurricane are also popular. Many people like Grayson Highlands SP.

Jorja likes this.
  9. NCLaramie

NCLaramie New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Eastern NC
    Hi from Greenville, Eastern NC! We just took our first trip in our popup week before last to Stone Mountain State Park which is 20 miles past Elkin, NC and 30 minutes from the Blue Ridge Pkwy. It was stunning. The most beautiful state park we’ve been to. We’ve also tent camped at Falls Lake and Carolina Beach State Parks....both are fantastic. You could stay right here in NC or even VA and have great camping experiences!! Kerr Lake has several Corp of Engineer areas that are on our list too. It all depends on what type of activities you want to do while camping. My in-laws love Jordan Lake.

10. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Right at 5-hrs according to Google.

—My ‘home’ go-to getaway is Lake Moomaw (also called Bolar Mountain Campground) in the northern portion of the Garthright Dam impoundment - located in western Virginia. A semi-developed campground, closing December 2, with hot showers, lake side camping, beach, bears, deer, and hiking. Not a ‘resort’ style. Bring what you plan to eat or fishing tackle. Choose a site with plenty of tree coverage or open sky. Not usually crowded. Here is a link to a good overview:

https://www.theoutbound.com/jess-fischer/6-tips-for-your-adventure-to-virginia-s-lake-moomaw

—Note [!]: If you’re driving out there and your GPS says anything about taking Switzerland Trail - AVOID at all costs. If you’re curiosity persists, drop off your pup and explore. Not for the faint hearted. - I have no idea how they got those trailers up there - helicopters???
    —Also, one route to Bolar Mountain CG is along route 603 and the Jackson River. This is a MUST drive! BUT NOT WITH YOUR PUP [!]! Oh it can be done, but it is NOT advised. Drop your pup and investigate! Great scenery!
    —My preferred route is along route 39 west onto route 600 (Bolar Draft Road) and follow signs. Be advised: your GPS may look like you are going to drive onto a dead end. It’s not, it’s just a tight switchback! Steep & hilly, beautiful country ride.
    —Cell service can be obtained at Campground 1, near the boat ramp at site #32. Another good cell phone location is in the middle of the one-lane bridge north of the marina at the north end of the lake along route 603. This CG was a great place for me to ignore my electronic leash when I was still working.
    —Pets are allowed, but not on the beach. There is, however; an unofficial swim area, boat dock & dog swim [DOG] site between Campground 1 and Sugar Ridge Campground. I would recommend staying at Campground 1 if you’ve never been there before. Inner loop sites have water & electric, water side is primitive and spacious sites.
    —Lake Sherwood in West Virginia, just on the other side of the state line, and is another great campground. Care needs to be taken during inclement weather as roadways can be closed.
    5-Hrs.jpg Garthright Dam.jpg LakeMoomaw.jpg

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

12. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    depending if you want water/electric or dry camping. for Dry camping go to Mile High Campground on the Cherokee Res. the campground is at 5440 feet. We camp in July ever year and this past year had temps in the low 40's at night in July!!!! high temps stay around mid 60's. www.campmilehigh.com. Grayson Highlands SP in Va great place has wild ponies and awesome hiking. make sure you bring everything since it is out there.