February 2019 - So, what did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Feb 3, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here's the battery charge reminder for those who need one.

After some winter storms and cold, plus a couple of week-long business and family trips for Courtenay, we're looking ahead to my first trip, towards the end of March.
    So far today, we got the TT open and put the electric radiator in to warm it up. I'm planning on installing all the new curtains today, and finally pulling the ugly rug off the step under that table. The plan is to remove the top of the step and see if the space will work as an extra storage area.

lucky13don likes this.
  2. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We got the step space opened up. Courtenay pulled the carpet off for me - apparently someone was using up staples the day they added the carpet. The space under it is smaller than I anticipated, so the tool box will not fit there. However, it will be a great place to store some of the paper goods. Not exactly handy to access, but easier than getting under the dinette bench in camp.
    New curtains are up, it looks like we can get away without fastening them to the wall on the sides or adding snaps where they meet in the center. Final determination will occur on the first trip.
    We tossed around some ideas for two more projects - shelves in my closet and some sort of repair where the decorative facing over the refrigerator broke off. It was obviously installed from the outside, before the refrigerator itself was put in, so access is impossible without removing the fridge.
    Added antifreeze to the sink trap and toilet. It had evaporated an inch in the toilet, so figured it was time to add some to both.

3. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Replaced a handful of torn-out grommets in the bunk ends today, and got rid of the last of the original shock cord loops (they had long lost their elastic anyway). Those I replaced with 4" ball bungees.

The stove and electrical system are OK, so I didn't have to do anything there. The LED replacement bulbs I put in the overhead lights are nice and bright!

kitphantom and neighbormike like this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I scored an Andersen a hitch on eBay. Almost half price, listed as used ..... but is brand new....great. Only missing a couple of bolts. Going to be a good year.

5. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Got most of my parts together for my right-angle gear reduction drive for our pups lift, I had to have one small specialty piece made by a machinist friend. I will post a thread on the entire process, parts used, etc, when I start assembly, hopefully this weekend.
    EDIT:
    Also purchased a 2200 watt dual fuel inverter generator with my 25 year employee service award.

b6ab4f25-7d9a-457b-ae5d-82e66895efa2_2.07f5c306c947803c3a1d30ab650777c7.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I put more stuff on top and under it. Hate this time of the year. The camper begins to look like a big shelf in the garage.[V]

Good news the battery has been holding a charge right around 12.7 V. Have not needed to charge it since we came back from our trip in early December.

jonkquil and neighbormike like this.
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    reattached the hinge to folding shelve in popup...

8. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Replacing the bearing and races in my wheel hubs. Next I want to make cardboard cutouts of my bunk end windows for Reflectix and I need to install my a Fan for my fridge. Only 3 weeks till my next trip. Time is running out.

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Had some warm weather earlier so I added some butyl tape to the front trunk in an effort to stem the leaks that were getting past the hinges and the original seal. So far so good, but I haven't had a really big rain yet.

10. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Well, first I said a little prayer that my PUPs are surviving this nasty winter out behind Uncle Kenny's shed : (

Then I went in the basement and reorganized all our camping gear. Sorted out the stuff that is PUP camping gear, stuff that is maintenance, stuff that we will include with the old PUP when we sell it, tent camping stuff for scouts. Now it all fits on the shelves so I don't trip on it.

Dback2k4 and kitphantom like this.
  11. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Smyrna, GA
    In the past few weeks, we (in Georgia) have seen temps in the 80's. then the teens, then 80s again, and this weekend back in the low 30s. I thought I had more time before camping season, but its been unusually hot, even for us. Last weekend I started painting the interior ceiling on our PUP, replacing old screens on the tracks, and getting ready to paint over all the fake wood surfaces. Last year I replaced the interior flooring, curtains, pillows, bunk wood on both ends, all exterior / interior lights, tires, propane lines, re-painted stove, etc. Now comes the test of the paint. First the interior ceiling (Behr ultra bright white), the interior fake-wood surfaces (asphalt grey), and then the outside box (not sure which color yet). I like our blue PUP, but if you look closely, it appears the previous owner applied it with a shovel. I did get our decal placed on the spare tire cover. [CP]

Attached Files:

12. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I cranked it up this evening. Mason and I are going to do Camp Driveway! We've got a space heater, and warm sleeping bags if needed, but I think it'll be fine. Will post more in the Camp Driveway forum.

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I just installed (well, my boss did) my marinco detachable power cord inlet on the FnR. No more trying shove a 20 year old cord into a little box. Now I just unhook the cord from the trailer, toss it in the back of the durango and off we go.

We also did a couple minor things since he was in a willing mood. Next, we're going to do my new table. Since I added the platform to my couch, the tv tray is too short. So we're going to combine two posts to make one tall enough and then make a new table. The new table will be about 12x36 with rounded edges and the post will be off-centered so the table doesn't get it my way when I recline sideways on the couch, but will still work for eating.

14. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ordering stuff:
    Laminated fabric for the under-table shelf/"step", which gets used as a footrest as well as a shelf, and a cover for the hole over the fridge. Current plan to fix the "hole" is to use Command strip Velcro, and put a thing panel over the hole. I was going to use upholstery vinyl, needed something that will fold more easily over the edges of the thin plywood we're using for both mods/repairs.
    Plastic divided plates and serving bowls, since I'll be going to several pot lucks while camping this season. Now to hope I guessed sizes correctly and they'll fit in the microwave for storage.

15. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    In regards to serving dishes, one of my favorite meal choices when folks join me camping are tacos or fajitas. Easy to put together. In the clipper, I have a plastic dip tray that works well for alsa, guac, sour cream, etc. But I couldn't find one I like for the FnR. So I just ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D2YS5LD?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

Comes with serving spoons and can add ice underneath. With the six setup, I can have one each for salsa, guac, sour cream, olives, cheese, and lettuce.

16. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @Toedtoes - I thought about something like that. What I ended up buying earlier this year was a half pan size chafing dish. I can use canned heat to keep something hot, or add ice in the lower tray to keep it cold. I'll have to plan ahead with an extra cooler of just ice if I'm going to do that however. The chafing dish will also have to travel in the truck bed, so I'm still sort of questioning my choice there. (We can always donate it to the church kitchen if it doesn't work out, since it's our ministry area we know what the kitchen can use.)

17. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

The Starflyer… well, I kind of think the PO didn't really know how to care for a pup (to be honest, neither did I until finding this site). He's buying a big TT, and has the monster diesel pickup to tow one, so maybe we're both better off.

I finally got the silicone lube into the right place on the winch, and now the pawl clickety-clicks the way it's supposed to. I also got a piece of cardboard to protect the canvas and lubed the posts. There's probably a few places I missed, but it's better than it was.

The biggie, though… Starcraft saw fit to put shock cord loops through the grommets on the bunk end sides, for looping into the buttons underneath. Over the last 18 years, the elastic has become not-so-elastic. Dunno if it was my PO, his PO, or what, but someone thought it would be a good idea to tie them off to increase tension. You can guess how that went:

bunk_end_sput.JPG

There were at least 8 (out of 18) grommets torn out. I think one side on the small bunk end was completely ripped out—which could have been a kid rolling around and falling out… and, I hope, not getting hurt too badly.

So I bought a grommet kit and got to work. I'd measured the holes as best I could, and determined they were 3/8". The originals, in retrospect, might have been 5/16" instead. A couple of the worst examples had tears going off to the side of the hole, not just through the edge. I sewed up both sideways tears and end-rips. This, I learned on the job, helped keep the grommet in place while whacking it with a hammer.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Rather than to use the (supported) bunk end plywood as the base for hammering on the grommets, I scrounged some wood and made a makeshift portable work table. After a couple false starts, I was rather pleased with the results:

repaired_grommet.JPG

With new (and I hope, reinforced) grommets in place, it was a matter of "out with the old, in with the new." What few (ratted-out) shock cord loops remained, and the empty holes, I replaced with 4-inch ball bungees. I thought I might have to relocate the buttons inward a little, but the new loops provide a casual but secure fit as-is. I can always tighten things up later, if necessary. The ball bungees slip through the new grommets easily, but are a tighter squeeze for the factory originals… which is why I think the originals were 5/16" no matter how well the replacements work.

Not having an immediate further use for the grommet kit, I stashed it in the pup along with a hammer. Maybe I'll need to replace a grommet down the road… or maybe I can help someone else at a neighboring campsite. Even with the false starts, I have a dozen grommets left before I have to order some more!

kitphantom likes this.
  18. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    Bought my new door handle/lock. Also bought camping toys for the littles and started kitting out the kitchen area. Yay Dollar Tree!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  19. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    Got heavy duty emergency blankets to cover the bunk ends, a rug for inside, and peel and stick tiles for the counters and maybe the table top.

20. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    You gotta have toys for the kids. Moose-dog and Bat-dog immediately go for their toy box when they enter either camper (yes, they have a box of toys in each camper).