Finally decided on bike carrier for our camping trips...

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by cmartinez95, Feb 4, 2017.

1. cmartinez95

cmartinez95 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    After reading a ton of the posts here and giving it some thought I decided I just couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the roof of my pup. I have a set of Yakima rails I bought for the roof of my truck's shell a while back that I could have installed, but again the whole thing about putting holes in the roof made me hold off. I have a dual hitch adapter, but with 3 or 4 bikes it would be a tight fit between the TV and the pup. And putting it behind the pup was never an option for me either. So what was left? As much as I hated to have to buy more bike racks since we already have a 2 and a 4-bike hitch mounted carrier I bit the bullet and went all in on a new roof rack for my truck and 3 Thule ProRide racks. The roof rack I decided on is a Rhino Rack with aero bars with the towers and brackets for a naked roof. The ProRide rack fits perfect in the slots on top of the bars and feel VERY solid when tightened down. Today I was only able to get one bike (my son's) up there to mock things up because 2 of the 3 racks I ordered have not come in yet (back order in one place and apparently slow shipping from the store that did have them). The bars are 54" wide and it looks to me like I will have plenty of room for 3 bikes up there and will be well within the max load of 165lbs for the bars (each bike is just under 30lbs). This was not a cheap solution by any means, but this is going to work for me and will allow me to leave my pup's roof alone. :)

Attached Files:

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Looks nice!!

3. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

May 4, 2009
    Green Bay, WI
    Sweet, love the Tacoma too, looks great

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I always thought for those that have the POPUP trailer with the large box in front this bike carrier idea was great... Doesn't have your bikes so high up in the air...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken

DanielFlorida and exploreco like this.
  5. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Give this link a whirl: It's every Bike Rack combo on the popup portal
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bike+rack+camper&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCoZ2h3PbRAhXDPCYKHYbACLQQ_AUICSgC&biw=1600&bih=1094#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=bike+rack+camper+site:popupportal.com

It works on regular pup's

[​IMG]

There are the home made versions:
    [​IMG]

As well as the PVC ones:
    [​IMG]

There are this style, where you just use a lot of straps to secure it (and seem to be a little too expensive):
    [​IMG]

I can't find the version I want to make, somebody posted it here last year.
    They bought two of these (at $25 each)
    [​IMG]

and strapped to a piece of 2x6 (or 2x8), covered the bottom in carpet. Cut some carpet for the back wheels, strapped it down like you wouldn't believe.

6. cmartinez95

cmartinez95 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Thank you!

7. cmartinez95

cmartinez95 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I gave this one some serious consideration, but my pup's frame near the front is not open like we see in the pics. I have a winch to open/close the pup so that entire little triangle near the front is almost fully closed off. The open areas are where my propane tank and battery are. So no-go for me with this one :(

8. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

May 10, 2013
    Cobb County, GA
    Question: How do you lift them up there, fasten them down, and get them off? I know how they fasten; I mean physically how are you up there to do it. Are you standing on a step stool or something? I'm curious about lifting 30-lb. bikes over one's head like that. That's why we haven't considered a roof rack. We are thinking about putting them on the rack on the bed of the truck, though, where the kayaks ride. It's still a lift but not quite as high as one can stand in the bed of the truck to assist in putting them on and removing them.

I have lots of questions because this is a near-future project and I have back/neck issues. I hate to have my DH do all the heavy work all the time, but I think with our bikes on the truck roof he definitely would be. [:!]

Thank you for any additional info regarding this. It does look like a good setup for you.

Attached Files:

9. cmartinez95

cmartinez95 New Member

Nov 27, 2016

Getting the bike up there is not so bad. I have the steps on the side of the truck I can use to be able to reach. What I did was grab the bike by the front fork and the seat post, got up on the side and sat the back tire on the roof. Then I brought the front tire up. Once on the roof I positioned it on the rack and used the main hook to hold it in place while I tightened everything down. Getting it down was another story. I'm sure if I used a step stool I could do it on my own, but since I didn't have it handy I just had my wife help me out. I unhooked it and got it off the rack and I handed her the front wheel and while she had it I stepped down while holding down the rear wheel.

Yeah, not something I want to do ALL the time, but a couple of times every month or two I can deal with. Something to note, this is one is positioned near the middle of the roof, which will a little harder than the ones I'll have on the edge. Those I may be able to do on my own, but I'll see once I get the racks in and installed. The things we do for our kids, lol. :)

10. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

May 10, 2013
    Cobb County, GA
    Thanks, cmartinez95. Sorry for the misplaced photo. I was looking on my computer for a photo of our truck that showed the rack on the back and accidentally added this photo. I thought I deleted it before posting, but it was sneaky.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I think you made a great decision. Roof racks sure aren't cheap, but they sure are stable and safe. It was a bit tedious getting the bike onto the roof of my old 4x4 F-150, but not too bad. As you said, running boards/steps help a ton. I don't know if I could have gotten one in the middle position by myself though, I only had one on the outside. It's much easier on the new TV, a minivan. I plan on getting myself some sort of small step stool to make it even easier this year. The bike isn't so bad, but getting the kayak strapped down is a pain for a short guy like me.

That also points out a great benefit of the roof rack systems. Once you make that initial (painful) investment, the parts are universal and easily adapted to any TV or other system. I've now had mounts for 4 different vehicles for my Yakima rack. And for the minivan, the mounts are universal for practically any car with factory roof rails. I've even thought about how I could easily add the bars across my small utility trailer if I ever wanted to use that for some reason instead of the roof.

12. cmartinez95

cmartinez95 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    LOL, I was wondering about that, however, thanks for the idea for a cheap rain gutter :)

13. Chaaalie

Chaaalie Member

Mar 16, 2016
    I just bought and installed the ProRack on the front of my 2002 Viking 1906 Epic ... it is a solid piece of equipment. My only complaint at this point is that the only place on my frame to mount it is very close to my crank to raise the roof ... I can see myself busting knuckles if I get into a hurry.

Not the racks fault ... just a factor of where my propane regulator and braces are placed.

I also did the more conventional sportrack bars with the plan for kayaks on the "load bars" and bikes on the front (spaced to accommodate each other and the AC!)

14. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

May 10, 2013
    Cobb County, GA
    Haha, I saved that from the Portal so I could implement it. Our AC dribbles across the roof and down the side of the pup by the dinette window; I worry about water intrusion behind the body panels, plus it's just messy. If I EVER get to go camping again I'll have one of these in use for sure.

15. cmartinez95

cmartinez95 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Ahhh, I see. we haven't done any summer camping yet, so I'll keep an eye out for this during our first trip in the hot season. So far we've only used the furnace in our pup. I ran the A/C a couple of weeks ago while doing a general inspection of everything but I didn't even think to look for this.

Have a good one!

16. cmartinez95

cmartinez95 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Update:
    This weekend we went to a local state park (less than two hours from home). I put a little over 250 miles on the truck round trip and the bike racks held up perfectly! It was really windy on the way home and I could hear the extra wind noise they were causing, but staying between 65 and 70 was no problem, even with 3 bikes on the roof. I feel a lot more confident about the long trip we are taking next month.

Note: that center bike is a complete pain to get on and off. I am going to move it a little over to the pass. side just a bit to make it a little more manageable. Once that center bar grabs that bottom tube it's not going anywhere. It's just getting it all in place when you can barely reach that is the "fun" part! :) And of course, what good is a post without a picture!

Attached Files:

17. Steve and Dana

Steve and Dana New Member

Nov 18, 2016
    This is how we transport our alternative modes of transportation. We have a tent trailer with a small rear deck that has 2 "wheel on" bike racks installed - the long bike we have goes on the top of the truck.

Attached Files:

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
  19. westlake ace

westlake ace Member

Oct 19, 2015
    I loved my roof rack.
    a few notes. Write your overall height on your windshield with your oil change sticker so that drive thru don't getcha, Don't trust the post clamps ( add a safety strap should a clamp get loose or small frame is in the big tube spot, and don't go wheeling thru the woods with the crossbars or a bike (trees are strong).

20. etienne

etienne New Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2008 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up camper. As I'm sure many campers before me have done, I am looking for a solution to carry my bicycles.

I would like to avoid a roof-mounted rack because a) I don't want to drill any holes in my roof and b) don't want to be tied down to my trailer if I want to take my bikes to a start point further away.

I currently have a 4-bike hitch-mounted bike rack (https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Deluxe-4-Bike-Receiver/dp/B00TRTSW46) that I will be using.

I am looking at the following two products:

1. Avirka Travel Trailer A-Frame (https://www.racksforcars.com/15152/Arvika-Travel-Trailer-2-Inch-Receiver/); and

2. Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk (https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-stromberg-carlson-bike-bunk-trailer-bike-rack-cc-275.aspx).

Has anyone here had any experience with either of these devices?

Do they interfere with the front-slide out bed?

Do they provide sufficient clearance from the tow-vehicle?

Any other considerations I need to look at?

Thanks.

Camper: 2008 Coleman Santa Fe
    Tow Vehicle: 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe XL (7-pass LWB)

leningradka likes this.