Finally decided on bike carrier for our camping trips...

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by cmartinez95, Feb 4, 2017.

1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    watching thread also, as I am trying to figure out a better bike tow system myself, I kinda like the stromburg Carlson bike bunk better. but not crazy about that price. and wondering if it would work with my swagman xc which has cradles for the tires, rather than free hanging. debating about mounting a front mount receiver on my chevy truck, instead, not much cheaper, but more options for use . decisions...decisions...

2. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

Apr 26, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    do you have any pics? It held up driving on the hoghway? the whole clamp on thing makes me nerveous. And it fits between trailer and TV? I dont know if i have that much room in between

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    That's what I did on my Tundra for a similar cradle rack. Also have a front rack that can carry a scooter/small motorcycle.

frontrack.JPG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. larryinseattle

larryinseattle New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    I ordered a front hitch for my 08 Ford Ranger today. It just makes the most sense for my application.

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    leaning towards a front mount on tv also

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Unfortuantely I did not take picture of my TV with bike rack... I did not think of doing it. Next time I will

7. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Any issues having four bikes mounted on a front hitch mount?

8. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    Some RVs carry scooters or dirt bikes on their front hitches, so weight would not be a problem - at least on some truck/hitch/rack configurations. I have a scooter rack for my front hitch as well, but just haven't gotten around to buying the scooter to go on the rack. ;)

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    mounted a front hitch on my truck ., 2 bikes mounted with a swagman x2 rack, quick ride around the neiborhood, seemed pretty solid, haven't had it on a real trip yet, but planning on it this weekend, will report on how it works out.

10. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Looks good! If you didn't have so many bikes, I would suggest what DW and I have done for our 2 bikes. We found a bike rack that slides over the hitch ball mount and bought a longer mount (17" total) for more separation between the TV and PUP. Your bikes wind up in between your car and camper. It holds 3 bikes and DW and I only bring 2. It handles 2 easily but I think 3 would be pushing it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QJC4HM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cmartinez95 likes this.
  11. Halford

I just use dual hitch adapter to tow popup and hold the bike rack. I like this so no towing weight is added to the popup.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Keep in mind that depending on which dual hitch adapter you use it may cut your tow rating and tongue weight rating by as much as 50%.. not all but most of the ones I have seen and your tongue weight will be increased by the bike rack (and bikes) as well, so keep that in mind too...

13. Halford

Yea if that's a motorcycle [XX(] on the rack... the bikes on rack are VERY light. Can pick the light bike up with one hand. The dual hitch probably weights more than the 3 bikes combined.

14. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Mounting a bike or 2 on the front does a good job of offsetting tongue weight on the TV. If I bring all my bikes, 4 goes on the camper roof rack and 2 on the front of the TV. TV rides better with a little weight placed back on the nose. I don't think I'd be brave enough to put my motorcycle rack and 400lb motorcycle on the front though

Adam

15. cmartinez95

cmartinez95 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    LOL, I ended up getting one of those and a longer ball mount in addition to the ones on the roof. We took a trip to Florida over spring break and I had 3 bikes on the roof and one between the truck and the pop up. Of course, it's all a moot point now. Right after the last trip my wife and I decided to upgrade both our TV and our camper. The Tacoma is gone and so is the pup :(. I can't complain though, now I have a '17 Sierra Denali Duramax and we bought a '18 Heartland Mallard M26 32' TT. I do miss the pup, but I would be lying if I said we are not more comfortable on the road now. It's a different experience with the TT, but we're still enjoying being out there visiting different campgrounds. And last but not least, the pup went to a good home :)

Aneemal33 likes this.
  16. JoePAz

JoePAz Active Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Here is my solution. Works perfect for 2 bikes. I could get a 3rd in there I needed to, but would have to reverse it to clear the handlebars. IMG_2289-small.jpg

17. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Adam H likes this.
  18. Brian P

Brian P New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Oregon
    Where did you buy this bike rack or is it homemade?

19. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I found it on craigslist. Not quite local, but just across the PA border. I believe the label on it says "Sixpacker", or along those lines.