Find me a campground!

Discussion in 'Florida' started by GatorChamp44, Jul 30, 2017.

1. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    The wife and I invested in a Pup earlier this year and have been struggling to find a place to go with it. We have a four year old son and two year old daughter so we have a list of must haves for our cg:

Within 5 hours (the closer the better) of broward county.

Fire ring (amazed how many places don't have these)

Big enough shaded sites

Enough to do inside of or close to the park to keep the young ones entertained.

Clean well kept facilities

I think our maiden voyage is going be to Markham Park but I am trying to schedule a few trips through the cooler months coming up. I have a lot of experience at Jonathan Dickinson but was very disappointed when we visited on a day trip recently at the condition of the place. I have also been looking into long point park. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

2. tw12

tw12 New Member

Sep 16, 2015
    We recently moved from Fl but used to camp a lot at Hillsborough River State Park. It meets all your criteria - right outside Tampa, nice hikes and beautiful river canoeing right inside the park, and if you like history, there's a replica of the Seminole War there with little cabins the kids can explore and get a history lesson. The spots are very shaded and large with hookups. It was our favorite little spot! :)

3. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Thank you so much! Seriously looks like exactly what we are looking for. Booked the week after Christmas!

4. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Sep 7, 2014
    There are many great parks that meet your criteria. I prefer the State Parks in FL over private campgrounds, and FL has some really good ones. Bahia Honda and Anastasia top my list, but love Wekiwa Spings, Manatee Springs and Blue Springs as well. As said above, I enjoyed Hillsborough River as well, the fort is very cool.

5. alibooie

alibooie New Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Blue Spring is great for kids as is Wekiwa Spring. Highland Hammock was fun if you take bikes. Fort Wilderness in Disney. In the Keys, love Long Key (may be closed for improvements) and Curry Hammock. I've got kids as well and the Florida State Parks have always been a great experience.

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Hit the SP for sure. Only been to 3 in FL but all were great.

7. equest

equest New Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Florida
    Fort DeSoto, south of St. Petersburg, is a wonderful park. It is operated by Pinellas County and you need to book well in advance using their reservations system. It is important to book far in advance for any of the popular parks during the cooler months. Some less popular parks are still nice but are more likely to have availability, i.e. Koreshan State Park which is a pretty short drive across the Alligator Alley from Broward. Those are just a few preliminary suggestions.

8. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Go to www.floridastateparks.org and you can see photos as well as make reservations through Reserve America on the site. RA will kill you with fees but it's worth it if you can find an open spot...the tourists book way in advance so sometimes it's tough for us locals to book at a State Park (SP) though not impossible. We LOVE Blue Spring in Orange City and we've also camped several nights at Jonathan Dickerson in the last few years when we come down to go diving at WP Beach.

With a 5 hr window from Broward you have a awful lot of places to choose from including the Keys. Here's a tip, if you head to the Keys in the summer check out the prices at the top resorts because it's off-season and they offer deals better than the State Parks or KOA's.

Good Luck.