Finding a leak

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by ircommando, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:05 PM.

Tags:
  1. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Last week was the first time that it has rained since we bought our PUP. It was left out in the elements, and today when I opened it up I found that water had gotten in somehow. It was between the ceiling and the folded up canvas, but I can't seem to find where it came in at. Any tips on figuring out the source would be appreciated.

The seals and caulking on the top all look good, but water got in somehow.

2. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    What were the conditions like the last time you had it open?

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    good luck, water can leak on the other side of the ceiling and leak out on the other side. A pool on the canvas will be the low spot which most of the time has no meaning where it was leaking. Make note where you saw the water. Once in awhile the leak is right above where you found the water. If it warm put a sprinkler on the roof when its up and go back in a while to look for leaks. Sometimes sweeping the ceiling with a tissue you can find a drop. Try to find the leak from the outside. Look on the outside at your caulk for cracks, look at you vent.

4. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks. If I do find a crack in caulking or a hole. What type of product should I use to seal it? Thanks again,

Steve

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Also check your vents or AC. If the plastic on your vent is cracked it could cause water to come in. If you have an AC it's possible either you need a new gasket or it needs to be sinched down a bit tighter. Check all your caulking. If you have any roof racks on your camper could water be seeping in the screw holes? Good luck, never easy finding that pesky needle in the haystack.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Oct 1, 2014
    You should also check to see if the roof closes tight. The roof seals have been known to shrink.