Fire extinguisher - what do you do?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by TDS-MN, Jan 5, 2017.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You gave your own reason "other than an electrical fire "

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    After I replaced the fire extinguisher in my boat I checked the one in my 2001 Coleman Utah to see if it was any good. Before I picked it up I noticed how nicely it fit in it's holder and how yellow the tag had become that was attached. I made another trip to Walmart and got a new and larger extinguisher for the pup. At this point I'm prepared... I hope it's like carrying an umbrella on a sunny day.....

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    I also carry one or more extinguishers in the tow vehicle.

4. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    My 2005 Jayco didn't come with a fire extinguisher. I've been carrying one I bought years ago. I'm thinking this spring I'll buy a new one,and build a new box to keep it in just inside the door.

5. Katskamper

Katskamper New Member

Nov 21, 2015
    and a box of baking soda just in case

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Tasmin

Tasmin New Member

Sep 15, 2016
  7. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    I had chance to check mine out when getting my pup out of this past winter's hibernation. Extinguisher is probably OE as far as I can tell. Had a small green button to test for pressure, supposed to pop back out if canister is still good.

First try I heard a little air pressure movement upon pushing the button, and it only popped back out part way. Looked at it a week later and the green button is retracted into the depressed state, so I'm figuring it's a goner. I could feel that the contents were free and moving around in there as I shook it around at least, but the button test would indicate lack of pressure charge.

Now to try and find a new canister that will fit the holder, that is my next challenge. I don't really want to change that holder out as well, if I don't have to. I know it's something that I will (hopefully) never need to use, but I think I'd feel better knowing I have one just in case.

8. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    As many of us as there are, it seems to me like there would be a standard replacement size extinguisher for p'ups. I know the bunk lights and other parts are often the same across brands of p'up. Has anyone tried to find a replacement fire extinguisher by brand/make/model for their existing holder?

9. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    WELL, EXTINGUISHER - 1 ME - 0. I found that what I have is a 2-1/2 pound. Bought a 2-1/2 pound at Home Depot, packaged as an auto/RV unit. Not going to fit my current holder. So now I have one for the garage I guess, not a bad idea regardless.

Further research seems to point me towards one designed for boats/PWC. The handle for operation on that style does not have the larger lever, but a pushbutton, that will match what I am replacing much closer. Given the FE's location low just inside the door, not having a handle sticking out into the walkway seems the best way to go too, thus why the OE was that style I suppose. Will hit up the local marine equipment stores and see what they might have to offer.

10. Dingit

Dingit Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I was able to replace mine with another off-the-shelf unit that fit into the holder. And the holders are probably pretty simple to exchange if needed.

Totally unrelated tip: if you use an air compressor to clean out your water heater's spider webs before they burn, you won't need to use it to clean the fire extinguisher stuff from your water heater later. :)

11. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

May 29, 2014

Flip it over in the mount before going down the road. Then the travel IS shaking it up. [:D]