Fire-Poking Stick

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by froggie, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I like to leave some wood and have told camping neighbors to garb it before it disappears. Like nineoaks The fire poker dies with the fire on the last night.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I always just use my hands, lol. Maybe I need to find or get a fire poker!

NothingsChocking and Rik Peery like this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Smoke follows money. I always camp with guys that are better off, so I never have to deal with smoke.

4. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    It's not just a guy thing! I am usually the one getting the fire going when camping, so a good stick is essential. We like to do most of our cooking over the campfire (even when we camp at my in-laws camp which has a trailer with a kitchen). There is nothing like a good fire to cook on then end the day with some Smores! When we camp at a campground I will usually burn my stick when the last bit of firwood is burning down since we have as of yet to have any leftovers.

5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I have the ‘ove glove’ it is awesome handling the logs!
    I use my "Ove Glove"

6. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I take a crow bar with a 90 degree head. Great for fire tending, splitting kindling, digging, and occasional copperhead disposal.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You are so right about that. The DW loves to play with the fire as much as I do. So much so that she will tell me to leave it alone because it's Her Fire.

Orchid and fourhallatts like this.
  8. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    I tell my dh and sons the same thing!

jnc likes this.
  9. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    I have a simple lightweight fire poker I made from a 1/4" metal rod and a short piece of shovel handle. It goes everywhere in the camper. It facilitates the tomfoolery that I am apparently not going to outgrow... IMG_3878.JPG

Rik Peery and WrkrBee like this.
  10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Found an extendable fire poker w/ a barb at Wally World several years ago, works great & takes up very little space, has a leather thong attachment to hang on a nail/limb etc...think Camping World has 'em for around $9 95649n-extendible-fire-poker.jpg

fourhallatts likes this.
  11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    When we arrived at our campsite on Friday, the previous occupant had left a nice little stack of firewood along with a poker stick that was already "broken in." [:)C]

Rik Peery and jnc like this.
  12. BBQdave

BBQdave Member

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    Campfire setup: find and harden fire stick, and have a short handle shovel to move coals.
    Like to cook over campfire with my cast iron skillet, and foil packs.

Usually leave the fire stick at the fire ring for the next camper :)

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    I had never heard of 'leaving the fire-poking stick', but when we went out last week, there was one waiting at the fire ring. We use a small shovel with a shortened handle for fire poking. It has additional duties when we are boondocking.