Fire ring grill grates for direct contact cooking?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by CampingNewb, Jun 3, 2019.

1. CampingNewb

CampingNewb New Member

Hi all. I have been looking for a good grate to put over/on the campground fire rings, but most of the ones I research, even if they are pictured with food directly on them (e.g. not in pans or tinfoil) turn out to not be meant for direct contact with food; they are apparently meant just as a surface on which to put pans, pots, foil-wrapped foods.

Several of them have pictures with food directly on them (burgers, chicken, etc.), but then if the company is contacted they say it's not "food grade" or is not ideal for direct contact with food.

Does anyone out there have any experience/recommendation for a fire ring grate I can put food directly on? I'm hoping for one I don't have to pound into the ground, I'd like to just be able to lay it atop the fire ring, kind of like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Heavy-Duty-Camp-Grill/dp/B000P9D062/ref=sr_1_7

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

I just use a rack from a Weber 26.75 and sit it on the walls of a ring or on one of those cheap stands

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I used one of those for years while tent camping. Once you burn the paint off of it it should be safe to cook on. You may want to spray it with cooking spray after use to prevent rust, treat it like you would cast iron cookware.

You may prefer to use something like THIS if you don't want to use heavy cookware on it.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

5. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

I get old cooking racks, out of stoves and old refrigerators shelves (the old metal kind) at the dump and stuff. Get them wicked hot a couple times to clean and sanatize them and they last for years....

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

7. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

The Coghlans Camp Grill Is made from nickel plated steel. The materials and construction are exactly the same is what they use for charcoal grill cooking grates. I have been using mine since the nineties with no concerns whatsoever.

The rod stock that it is built from is quite heavy and will easily support at least one loaded cast iron pot I wouldn't keep it up with tons of cast iron though. It will definitely do the job and be safe growing hamburgers steaks and that kind of thing.

For what it's worth another option is just to get a small dedicated charcoal grill like a Weber go anywhere grill or a Weber smokey Joe..