Fire Starters

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by CampChaos, Nov 24, 2012.

1. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    And not something I might want to roast marshmallows over. [:(O]

2. dwalker80

dwalker80 Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

May 3, 2013
    I need a friggin like button for this!!!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

3. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Jul 31, 2004
    Van, Pennsylvania
    I would assume you do the responsible thing and fish the wire hickey to make the flare stand up out of the fire and dispose of it properly once the fire is out.

4. catmanblue

catmanblue Only thing better then fishin is campin and fishin

Nov 2, 2012
    I tried the vaseline and cotton balls this weekend at the Illinois rally. It work great, I will definitely be doing this again. [CF]

5. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Ssshhh don't tell my son, but he has a bunch of TaeKwanDo boards and they are great for kindling. Dry leaves, drier lint or newspaper.

6. dg

dg New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    I've heard about dryer lint for a while and tried it a couple weekends ago. It works great, but I just read here about using old leftover wax and egg cartons with the lint. That's a great idea. The wax will make the lint last a long time so a few will eliminate the need for kindling. I wish I had some 2 weeks ago, with all the rain, there wasn't any dry kindling anywhere to be found. [{}=]

7. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

Aug 25, 2018
    wooster,ohio

MattF350 likes this.
  8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Gotta love these old treads that crop up every now and then... Got to see an old friend making a post here Mr BONDEBOND from Searcy Arkansas... haven't heard from him for years now...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Brad Jackson likes this.
  9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I have a pine tree on my lot. When I clean up, I save some cones and put them in the large paper grocery bags. I fill the bag about 1/2 way and role up the top. I keep one bag in the camper and the rest at home. We use about 12 to start a fire.

I also buy the 24 pack of fire starters at lowes, just in case. They are about 1/2 a dixie cup with a wax like substance. I think I paid about $12 the last time. But the bax last me several years.

10. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    Click on any members name while you are logged in, and you can see the last time they were logged in, and other info...

11. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I don't have enough time in my life to make my own fire starters. Usually I'll just use some newspaper and well chopped kindling. But I do purchase a box of fire starters at the beginning of each season and they tend to last through the season.

Toedtoes likes this.
  12. JWeible

JWeible Member

May 11, 2015
    What if you have a dog? I want to use the dryer lint/wax/egg carton option but my dryer lint is always half dog hair. Does it matter??

13. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

Aug 25, 2018
    wooster,ohio
    Dog hair works at a starter

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Sample cup, wood chips or sawdust and a couple of old candles/ dollar store,, you can make the same thing your buying for much less..

This is why we do not use dryer lint.. but use wood chips/shavings/sawdust ...

15. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

Aug 25, 2018
    wooster,ohio
    I work in a factory that makes cabinets,doors, etc... I'm always coming home with wood

Katskamper likes this.
  16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I do toilet paper rolls cut in half and split on the sides to form a top and bottom, drier lint (yes lot of dog hair included) and wax. How many we make kind of depends on how much toilet paper rolls or wax we have saved. My side kick and I make it over the winter, its a good project we can do together, a good way to recycle, and helps you get your mind off not being able to camp. :) Although cleanup is not fun at all. However a few Christmas's ago I got a huge box of fire starters so I've been trying to use those up too.

Brad Jackson likes this.
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I'm the same. I don't find the cost exorbitant to buy a pack of coleman fire starters. Usually I use a fire log if I decide to have a campfire - that way I know how long it will be going and can plan accordingly. But if others are around and we have a real fire, I pull out the wax starters.

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I have used fire logs in the past.. Actually cut them into inch and half thick pieces and used those as fire starters, they work great specially with wetish wood ..

19. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    I also use the egg cartons and wax but instead of dryer lint I use shredded paper. I will check out garage sales and second hand stores for candles. I also get them at the $1 store (I usually get the largest ones they have). They work great and I only use 2 or 3 per fire (which I try to keep going all day long).

20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I use them for the fire itself. One log will last 3 hours, so I can start my fire knowing how long it will be going.