First camping trip

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Nanapoppypops, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Our first trip in our 2009 palomino thus past weekend. Successfully arrived, wentvto fill fresh water tank and the tank hadca seven inch crack in it. Nice that the dealer informed us of that. They will not make goidcon it either. Next, we arrived at site, unhitched, turned on lights and nothing! We had wiring checked, everything worked when it was plugged in at home, bought a new battery, battery Tender plus, keptvbattery on the Tender until day we left. We checked all fuses, battery also. Not sure if there is something on converter you need to press. Already made sure galley was suppressed enoiugh to trigger lights. Seems to be but there's also a hose coming out of the same area.frustrated, followed the lines to make sure everything was okay on roof part of camper. Can anyone help. This is awful pic but does someone know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

That really looks like a picture of your water pump.

Are you sure you have the correct polarity on the battery cables? Also, check your main 12V fuse on the converter. If you have a polarity fuse, it could be blown too.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  3. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

I don't know what a polarity fuse is I guess

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

On your converter, probably behind a little door you have to push to open, will be a bank of fuses that look like this:
    upload_2019-6-11_18-10-5.jpeg
    If you pull one fuse at a time out, and look at the side, you should see a little loop or "Z" of metal between the two prongs. If the metal is there, put the fuse back in, and check the next. If you find one without the little metal between the prongs, that fuse is blown, and you need to replace it with one of the same number.
    [​IMG]

The polarity fuse is likely a pretty high number off to the side, but in the end, it's just a fuse. Check them all, and replace any which are blown. If there are NONE blown, report back and we can take the next step in troubleshooting.

If we need to take the next step, I need to know what model your converter is. It should be on a label behind the door.

Good luck.

5. penny

penny Well-Known Member

also, there is a fuse in line on the battery wires sometimes. (maybe that is also called polarity fuse) Ours was outside the camper by the battery on the tongue in a small inline waterproof rubber holder. And, yes, there usually is an off and on switch on the converter.

6. Sacramento Pop Up

Sacramento Pop Up Member

So no hook ups where you’re camping? Can you plug in to see if your shore power is working?

Also, picture is of your water pump.

7. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Thank you

8. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

What would the correct polarity be for a 12 volt deep cycle battery. Is this the fuse that's attached to the battery? Thank you

9. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Thank you. We will open the Pup to air out this morning and I will get that info for you. Appreciate your help. I'm taking my husband camping this weekend again for Fathers Day. Sure would love some lights in there.

10. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

What size is your polarity fuse by battery? Thank you

11. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Where is the on and off switch? On my converter, there are the fuses and to the right, I have circuit breakers. Thank you

12. penny

penny Well-Known Member

All batteries have a positive and a negative post. on the wires that connect the camper to the battery, there should be some kind of indication of which wire is positive and which is negative. Please someone, correct me if I'm wrong, but the positive wire usually has the fuse in-line. These wires must be properly connected to the battery posts. + to + and - to -. and, the nuts that connect them have to be tight.

On some converters there is a rocker type switch that says on, off, but not on all, I guess. When you open the converter door, it would be in there with the fuses

13. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

14. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Hi again, I am attaching two pics of the converter. First of all, thank you for your help. I have checked all the fuses and they are good. I see no detached wiring. We are charging our battery right now so we plugged pup into house but no lights. Maybe battery needs to be on the hitch. Anyway here are the pics

Attached Files:

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

With it pluged into the house do the outlets work?

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If so i would turn the gally switch on and off a few times to see if the light come back on.

17. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Just packed her up because of rain but I will definately try that tomorrow. Oh, I hope! Thank you

18. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

If you have a GFI outlet (probably near the sink) check to see if it needs to be reset.

blg-old_gfci.jpg

19. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

FYI - replace all your fuses with fuses that have "blown fuse" LED indicators built in - it makes trouble shooting much easier (as I found out).

20. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Yes, there may be an "extra" fuse in the wire near the + (plus) 12V (red) battery terminal (I have such a fuse). This is in addition to the fuses on the Converter or any other fuse panels. Check it too. Buts this "extra" fuse is not the reverse polarity fuse. The reverse polarity fuse is one of the fuses on your converters panel of fuses, maybe the first.

Sjm9911 likes this.