First ever PUP trip tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by ColoradoKid, Sep 5, 2017.

1. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    First, let me thank the members here who helped me the past two weeks during my '1st PopUp' education, from my Wiring questions, to my Heater problems, Thank You ALL.
    The PUP is now ready for it's first outing. We are going to do a one-nighter at Ridgway State Park, here in Western Colorado. Forecast calls for rain, but we count that as a bonus...less neighbors, less noise, and more forest-fresh air.
    Our #1 goal is simply sleeping comfortably... (When you reach +50, that ground gets harder every trip.) I will report back, as a complete PUP rookie, with my overall PUP experience.

-hoping the PUP will end the long search for the right RV choice for us.

thanks gang....

ColoradoKid&Wife.

2. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Jun 5, 2014
    LG Region NY
    Good luck, stay dry and take notes! And have fun!

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Hope everything works for you, have fun!

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Have a great time! Look forward to hearing your post-trip comments!

5. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    POST TRIP: The PUP was great! Easy to tow, very roomy, and most importantly very comfortable sleeping! I should have listened to my wife all these years ranting about how great their family PUP was when she was a kid. I always thought they were kind of lame. Yes, I pre-judged PUPs before trying one. You know, the same thing happened with Broccoli when I was a kid. Well Hey, at least I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wron....wrroonn...wro...well, I can't say it, but I admit it! Nevertheless, I am glad to report that the PUP is a keeper! JUST what we needed!

Now, let me tell you that Ridgway is a very nice facility, full-service campground, with proper flush toilets, showers, laundry, vending machines, electric hookups....the works! Let me also tell you that it was $33.00 for one night! Makes 'home' look like a bargain as my Mortgage calculates to $19.25 per day! We stayed on the upper West Elk Loop, spot #87. We rolled in around noon and had the PUP setup in 15 minutes.
    Around 3:00 the rigs started rolling in...1/4 million dollar Class A's, 5th wheels, and toy haulers. We felt quite the peasants amongst the Monsters.
    We were 1 of only 2 miserable little PUPs in the whole place. As dinner time approached, I was out chopping kindling for the fire when the Class A people next to us made their first appearance. They came out of the "camper" & got into their TowedVehicle and apparently went to Ridgway for dinner. (I came to this conclusion by noticing upon their return the gentleman was rubbing his fat rich belly and sucking on a toothpick.) We did not see them again until morning when they repeated the process for Breakfast.
    As my wife and I sat there content in our little PUP, playing cards, we noticed how quite the campground was. No kids screaming, no dogs barking except for the occasional yapper that was made quite quickly. It occured to us that the only time these people leave their "Campers" is to walk the stupid dog! We walked to the restrooms one last time before bed and noticed only one other person had a campfire going. Honestly, we were wondering why these people ever bother to leave their homes! Now, we can appreciate a quiet campground, but not at the expense of feeling like we cannot make some noise around the campfire! I mean, c'mon, Camp, Fire, Friends, Beer ...there's going to be some noise, but it seemed that here it would not be tolerated in the least. Camp Host Golf Cart came by on the 1/2 hour, every 1/2 hour.
    CONCLUSION: Ridgway State Park is a Primadonna Tourist Campground that we will not likely visit again, but it is a beautiful setting with a lot of trails, hiking, biking, boating, & fishing activities. I am not trying to discourage anyone from going there, just saying it's not really our idea of CAMPING. Looking forward to a 'real' outing in the near future.

Life is short, Camp often my friends.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I sympathize with you, but no matter what I camp in, I never feel out of place, everyone has their own idea of relaxing and camping and are entitled to do so as long as they leave me alone, after all I also pay for my right to camp. (sort of like everyone having to put their pants on 1 leg at the time :) I like Fl. State Parks they are usually cheaper ( especially with 1/2 discount for being and old fart :) than the expensive RV Resorts and I feel more at home, plus it is usually quieter and most are friendly neighbors. I like a good campfire during cool weather too and have noticed most in the State campgrounds do also. I am sure Colorado has some great State Parks too.
    Maybe the next trip will be a lot more enjoyable for ya'll. Good Luck and Happy Camping

7. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    Oh, I don't need any sympathy...don't you worry, nobody robs me of my good time....these were just our 'observations' of 'modern camping times' as opposed to those of our campground childhood memories. None of it bothered us, heck we had all the trails and the observation/view deck all to ourselves!

In the 70's we often camped in San Felipe, Mexico....10 to 15 caravan (70's hippie-vans) all parked in a circle ON the beach, a community fire pit in the middle. Not one single convenience or amenity...RAW camping.....the days were long and the times were good.