First real Camping trip

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by MyName, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Took my pop up out for a real 3 day trip. Had a great time. Learn a lot from my pop up, and have a nice list of things to fix up. Main thing was the kids had a great time.
    It was also fast to pack up. Normally I prep some of my gear the night before, and I am ready to leave camp by noon, if I'm lucky. This time I didn't prep anything and was hitched and ready to drive away by 10 AM.

Next trip. 7 days in June. I can't wait.

2. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Sounds like the perfect trip! We just got back from our first real trip, too, and I have a list of small items I need to get to improve the experience, too.

We all came away dirty and tired but the kids didn’t want to leave so I count that a success!

Jorja likes this.
  3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Sounds like fun to me... We have plenty of room for camping supplies with our folding panel closed and locked truck bed and 5x8 front deck on our off-road popup.

We can pack up most everything that we take along in five of those ACTION PACKER containers from WALMART. Usually have them already to load days before the trip. We like to stock for a week stay to start out with and of course can find a WALMART store that has food nearby somewhere to shop every three or four days when we start running out of supplies... Always run out of ICE and soft drinks first...

ALong this line I just noticed our local WALMART has their Electric ICE maker on sale for around $60 that really might be something I would be interested in. I run my 2KW generator every morning for a few hours to charge my battery bank when camping off-grid so might as well make some ice cubes at the same time.

Its not so bad for just the two of us camping... We have several favorite spots close by here in Virginia... Actually one just 25 miles away being Westmoreland State Park. Go there all the time and try to get our spot in the B section way back on the West side where the trail ends. No hooks up here...

Even with the just the two of us we sometimes look like the Jeb Clampett clan haha... Its all for fun so who cares...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Congrats on the 1st. trip going so well, that is the purpose of the PUP is to use it and have fun. You will find that the repair list is never ending as there is always mods to make so you can keep "Making it your own" . Just learn to sit back and enjoy the moment. You will enjoy every trip a little more than the last one :) Good luck and Happy Camping

5. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Yup. I had so many things I wanted to fix first. If I waited till everything was done my kids would be grown up. So I did what I could and went and had fun.

Jorja, PointyCamper and MaeKay like this.
  6. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    Sounds like me ten years ago trying to figure out a brand new pup I hated from day one. Funny how experience grows and you learn everything you tried was wrong or waste of time