First time opening popup after a winter outside

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by mountaineerFAN1, Mar 12, 2019 at 8:09 PM.

1. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 New Member

Please give me a list or tips for opening the camper for the first time after a winter outside. I need to clean off the roof, I think I read Simple Green and a Magic Eraser will do this.
    What else do I need to do? Look for?

We are basically brand new to this older/vintage (? how old does something need to be?) Coleman Laredo. We spent a couple of nights in it last summer, then moved out of state, and I had surgery, and well, its just been sitting out there looking forlorn. We hope to take it out for spring break in a few weeks, and know we need to pop it up and check "things". Just not sure what those things are or the best products.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I would do some maintenance on the lift system (grease and lube).

When I washed my pup last summer I used some car wash detergent in a bucket of water, a brush with semi-thick bristles and some elbow grease. It did a pretty decent job especially with the cleaning of the roof.

Edit: I washed the pup with the roof down. I don't recommend washing the canvas with car detergent.o_O

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 at 8:27 PM
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Un winterizing it! Clean it out, wipe it down inside and out. Clean and sterile the water lines , if it has them. Check the systems. Go camping!

mountaineerFAN1 likes this.
  4. mountaineerFAN1

Thank you both! Is there a certain product I NEED or need to AVOID???

5. BikeNFish

When it comes to cleaning the canvas, stay away from products with bleach. Bleach will damage the material.

6. mountaineerFAN1

Do I need the rv/marine specific cleaner or can I use dish soap?

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree with the above . I just cleaned my camper with mild dish soap and good ol fashioned scrubbing. Surprisingly with a stiff brush it did really pretty good. I used diluted bleach solution for a real stubborn spot but be careful and check it in an inconspicuous spot first. Lube your lift system before opening. I found a a mouse nest in my wiffletree under the camper and trying to raise the roof got nesting material wrapped around the screw like thing. Awful mess to clean out after that. There are some you tube videos out showing you what to do. Good luck. I'm going camping this coming weekend just to do exactly what your doing, getting it cleaned up and set up for my other trip the end of March. Just decided to make a trip out of it. If I have to open it, why not use it. ;) . Campground I go to is about 40 min from home and 10 min from a walmart.

neighbormike and mountaineerFAN1 like this.
  8. BikeNFish

Here is what I found from THIS website. It goes along with most of the conversations that I have seen here on the Portal since I've been a member.

Cleaning the Canvas
    Brush the loose dirt off your canvas before cleaning. Use a broom and sweep of the dirt. Gather together a large bucket, a car washing sponge, a soft scrub brush, and a hose. Follow the directions on the container of canvas cleaner. Dry the canvas completely before putting the pop up down.

Homemade Canvas Cleaner
    Canvas cleaners can be made with household products. Mild, non-detergent soaps are perfect for cleaning canvas. Detergents may ruin the canvas finish and should be avoided. Mild soaps such as Lux or Ivory soap make good canvas cleaners.

Removing Mildew
    Mold and mildew can eat away at your canvas. Remove signs of mold and mildew as soon as possible. Vinegar is one of the best canvas cleaners for pop up campers. Mix a bucket full of two parts water and one part vinegar. Dip a scrub brush into the vinegar solution and scrub the mildew off the canvas. Let the canvas dry in the sun without rinsing off the vinegar. If vinegar does not work, try soap and water. Bleach should be used as a last resort as it may leave white spots on the canvas.

mountaineerFAN1 likes this.
  9. mountaineerFAN1

good info! Thanks!

I have list now to get a stiff bristle brush and some plain vinegar, I only have apple cider on hand, probably not the best.

10. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

I like Murphy's Oil Soap to clean my PUP with a car wash brush. Does a good job and has a pleasant smell, and leaves the vinyl material a little shiny. You probably will need to treat the actual canvas to keep it water repellent. I like 303 protectant.