Fitzroy ont park

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Alberto, May 28, 2012.

1. Alberto

Alberto New Member

May 1, 2012
    Has anyone gone to Fitzroy and is the park nice going in august.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Never been, but it is on our list to camp at... try googling, "fitzroy provincial park reviews" ,, I have seen a few for the park, but can't remember where they were...

3. pawseyte

pawseyte New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I went camping at Fitzroy about 18 yrs ago. I liked it. Found some neat trails for our bikes. Was not to far from Ottawa so we made a day trip into the city. Though it has been a long time I would go back.

4. Kevindust

Kevindust Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada, Eh
    I must prelude my comments with - It has been over a decade since I camped at Fitzroy so my recollections may be off. However, my parents live in Fitzroy Harbour and their yard backs onto the park so I visit the area regularly and I swim at the main beach a couple times a year.

Fitzroy PP has a variety of campsites, as a kid I really enjoyed the sites along the creek (looking at the map, Pinegrove sites #2-70) because we played in the creek and caught crayfish. There are also some nice sites in Two Rivers, others are fairly open and not so private. There is a small beach in Two Rivers but the better swimming is at the big beach, which is a bit of a hike from Two Rivers and a decent walk from Pinegrove (not so bad on a bike if you don't mind the hills, many choose to drive) As a young teen, I loved biking around the park and enjoyed the hiking trails. Twenty years ago if the water in the Ottawa River was low, you could adventure across a shallow area (say 0-6") of water to tour a small island that had the remnants of an old stone foundation. I always enjoyed that too but I don't know if it's still accessible.

If you've wandered as far as the main beach, you might as well keep going and see a bit of the village. The Fitzroy general store is just up the road from the beach, it's quaint and handy if you need any last minute supplies (including adult beverages.) If your so inclined, your sweet tooth with love Penny's Fudge Factory. http://www.pennysfudgefactory.ca/ (I'm not affiliated in any way.)

5. Camping Pastor

Camping Pastor New Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Just got back from Fitzroy Harbour park. This is only the second time that we've camped there. The last being the week following the May 24 weekend.

Thoughts on the park. We love it! Both times, very quiet ( of course we are camping before the rush ). [PU] Staff are friendly. Bathrooms and showers CLEAN!!! Prices a little high in the camp store but that's no surprise.

We will camp there again. Likely in September and October after the rush.

6. Guntr

Guntr New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    My parents took us to Fitzroy almost every year since I was 18 months old. We loved it and insisted on going back each year despite offers of travelling out west or other campgrounds.

Tonnes of fun for kids, from catching crayfish under the bridge, to frogs, and clam shells. Great trails to explore.

There are lots of very private wooded lots. We always found the mosquitos to not be an problem like some other campgrounds can be.

Sure the water is shallow and rocky, but in a canoe it isn't bad and after a couple trips we had all the rocks memorized. The shallow water is great for snorkeling.

Heading back there for the first time in a couple years this summer and can't wait!

7. ccptbo

ccptbo Active Member

Great to know! Thanks for sharing Guntr! It'll be on the list for next year!

8. Shado

Shado New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Fitzroy is a good cg. The facilities are usually always clean and the wardens are flexible. Some nice trails to walk for all ages.

Thing to note is that it is one of the closer cg to Ottawa making it an ideal destination for younger groups looking to party (which I was some time ago in a life far far away lol).

Swimming is good - anything up river from Ottawa where every time it rains millions of liters of raw sewage get dumped into the river...that is the reason we no longer camp Voyager.

Any questions or site recommendations pop me a msg.

9. Varroa

Varroa New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Been camping at fitzroy for about 6 or 8 years now and been probably 10 times. The campground facilities are decent and the store and staff are good. We deliberately camp in the no-hookup section to get more privacy. Even in mid July or August you can camp with no neighbours from Mon-Friday if you camp in these areas. We don't stay down by the Ottawa river but we usual get a HUGE spot along the creak that splits the park Pine Grove side). The spots we choose are large, lots of light and walking distance to outhouses. The only complaint I have about the park is sometimes there are LOTS of bugs, even in August. Weekends in the summer as busy as per most campgrounds. Firewood is cheaper if you pick it up outside the entrance to the park on the road just outside the park. Town is 8 minutes away and has basic amenities but if you need a grocery store you need to go to Arnprior which is 20 mins away. The main beach is large but the rest of the beaches are small and sandy and there are lots of places to hike or explore. Dogs are not allowed on the main beach at all but we take ours to the creak and let them play off leash in the water there.

10. popupprincess

popupprincess Member

Feb 24, 2015
    We camp at Fitzroy a lot...close to home so it works for us.
    It's a beautiful, clean campground. If you stay in the Two Rivers side you avoid a lot of the younger 'partiers'. They tend to go to the Pinegrove side.
    There are two nice beaches (one big and one small) the small one is in the Two Rivers side and it is great to just walk to for a short visit...before dinner etc.
    There are a couple of nice nature walks, a great store, close to Arnprior with an amazing Chip Truck and also Penny's Fudge store in Fitzroy Harbour. If you don't feel like cooking there is a pizza place in Fitzroy Harbour that delivers to your campsite. Menu pamphlet can be found in the Main gatehouse.
    Highly recommend this campsite!!!

11. jltait

jltait New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I agree completely. We've camped there 3 times in the last 3 years and it's a lovely campground and surrounding area. Great for younger kids - the beaches and waterfront are amazing. Fully agree with avoiding the Pinegrove side - we ended up with a huge group of 20 somethings in a double site across from us who played loud music, had a huge beer pong table and overhead lights going until 1 am. I was a little surprised that the rangers didn't come around earlier. I made sure to get up early and bang pots around while making brekkie. Loved it otherwise.