FL Keys Critters??

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by DJFav, Oct 5, 2018.

1. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Will be PUPing in the Florida Keys and wondering what kind of critters and bugs to expect. Is it better or worse since Irma?
    We've noticed several gaps where the vinyl does not seal around the slide dinette. We've used rags and pool noodles to fill the gaps we can see, but are sure there's some we cannot see. We'll be doing our daily due diligence checks, but what about night time?

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Love bugs. Take windshield cleaner and paper towels.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Love bugs are actually almost gone, in the Nature Coast anyway and I'd imagine that's following suit in the southern part of our state as well. Mosquitoes are the number one bug to concern yourself with. The Keys, of course, are famous for all types of wildlife from Wildcats to huge Pythons, but for the most part, nothing that you should worry yourself at the campground with, outside of any normal concerns. We also have rattlesnakes down here, but again, nothing outside the norm to fear there either. Now, having said all of that, people mistakenly feed Racoons all over Florida and they are a huge problem in some places. They carry rabies, and when they're fed they lose that natural fear of humans so keep your trash away from the site, and plan to take it out to the can every day.

Take plenty spray for the outside area of the site for ants along with the stuff you spray all over your legs/arms/face/etc. It's been a pretty good year for the mosquitoes, honestly, but they're always worse down in Everglades National Park, should you be planning to stay there any amount of time. When I say worse, I mean they can get so bad that your arms/legs turn black type bad, lol. The Keys, however, surrounded by the saltwater, I don't think you'll have any real issues.

Orchid likes this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Forgot that the first time. We were at Edisto Island last weekend and the love bugs were still out in force. So if you pass through SC on the way to Florida, they may be an issue.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    You should be fine.
    IMG_9273.JPG

Orchid and pasobuff like this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I had a kayak buddy who went on an expedition in the keys. He stopped for the night on some beach however the fire ants we're so bad he couldn't set up his tent and slept in his kayak. Grant you he wasn't staying at a developed campground.

7. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Thanks (I think) for the input. I'm kinda thinking I shouldn't have posed the question....sometimes ignorance is bliss! [EEK]

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You will love the keys, I was stationed there years ago in the Navy. Racoon's can sometimes be a pest just keep everything that they can get into put away, and skeeters. In a public type CG. You should have very few problems, just carry sun tan lotion and deet for the skeeters, sit back, do not worry about things and enjoy the trip.

9. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Love the Keys! We've been many times but always stayed in 4 star resorts. This time our PUP will be our travelling hotel room. [8D]

Orchid likes this.
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've never been to the keys, but as stated, I would prepare to do battle with mosquitoes, ants, and possibly gnats. Love bugs dying down for the season, and don't create problems anyway.

We live in Florida and sometimes bug bomb the inside of camper before a trip. You won't be able to smell it, but it stays in the canvas and openings for a month or so, keeping all insects away from your camper.