Fleetwood E3

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by justwork, Mar 30, 2017.

1. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Here are a couple shots of my new setup. my TV is a 2015 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. It's a 4.0L V6 rated for 6000LB maximum tow weight. I have a few upgrades: for towing the only upgrades that will or may help are the BullyDog Tuner and a Volant CAI. I'll likely upgrade the brakes this summer to some slotted discs and some better pads. The tongue weight is pretty high with this trailer so I'm going to get some Hellwig helper springs for my truck. Maybe look at airbags.

My TT is a 2008 Fleetwood E3. I'm going to start a "build" thread for my TT here.
    Couple things that need addressing.
    1) The roof on these are notorious for leaking. While my trailer doesn't have any signs of water intrusion or damage, I will be taking it in to my local Line-X dealer to have the roof coated to ensure water stays out. I've had Line-X do a couple different applications for my truck. They sprayed between the cab and the bed with a colour match, this is because I had my bed cover slide forward and rub against the cab causing paint damage. The line-X is much more durable. They also sprayed my lower quarter panels and around my wheel wells.

2) New flooring

3) All the cabinets need some cosmetic work

4) Everything needs to be cleaned thoroughly

5) Some electrical upgrades, just simple. Going to upgrade the stereo and install some USB chargers and a volt meter, likely in the same area. I'm also planning to run dual batteries.

6) New tires

7) LED light upgrades

The list will grow as I get more into this trailer, but I'm looking forward to the project.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  2. thethird152

thethird152 Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
  3. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Thanks for the Facebook link. I've been trying to find an Evolution page or forum, that's a big help.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I looked at the E3 before i got my Starcraft 14RT in 2008... The E3 was too much like a Government office decor inside is what the wife said. Everything was Gray and Black haha... And Yellow on the outside...

Then we found the Startcraft version of the same thing and it was just what the wife wanted as far as inside decor was concerned...

[​IMG]
    Google stock photo view

We certainly have put our OFF-ROAD POPUP to the test. Most of the trips are off-road back off the Forest Service Roads inside a Natl Park here... Would love to do the Dispersed type camping like is done out West but not much of that available here onthe East side of the US...

We love staying out a week at time usually up over looking multipe rolls of mountains or down on a creek side somewhere... Nobody around but us...

I got one spot we like where we have to cross the creek at a 6-inch deep water crossing with a rock bottom... Kinda neat hehe...

We get to use all of the appliances except the Air Conditioner and the high wattage Microwave setup. Just about everything else gets used when we are camping...

This is us sitting at Doris Camp in the Wichita Mtns Wildlife Refuge at Medicine Parl OKLA... Got a no hookup place with a large lake just beyond the trees you see here... Note my two extension cords coming off my trailer to runa coupe of fans to keep mosquitoes off of us sitting around the camp fire....
    [​IMG]
    Roy's Image

The refuge is open free running of the animals there most every where so you to watch where you step in the middle of the night looking for a "Pee Tree" hehe... Kinda neat to wake to a couple of grunts noises and see this within 20-feet of your camp spot haha...
    [​IMG]
    Google image Wichita Mtns

We always got chased away by this bull at one of the good fishing spots on the lake...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Have good fun times with your off-road E3...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Hey Roy,

Yeah I'm not to keen on the black and grey interior, but a lot of it needs work so I'm thinking of trying to paint this... Not sure what kind of paint will stick to the trim.

6. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    I'm starting to get some things organized, but I head back to work in a couple weeks and I'll be gone for a month. I'm hoping to get everything I need ordered so when I'm back home I can really get some things done with this trailer.

First thing I've added to the trailer, not a mod just some maintenance. Greased the axles, took all of 5 minutes, but I also got some new boots for her. To match the tow vehicle I got a set of BFG AT's, put the white letters out for now but will likely turn them around in a couple seasons when the tires start to wear.

[​IMG]

7. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    wrong thread

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  8. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Good choice on the tires. That's what I always recommend for E series trailers.
    The styrofoam in the roof will soak up water for a while before it leaks through. Should get it coated sometime soon.

9. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    So you think for sure the roof leaks? I can't see any water damage inside, after pressure washing the roof I didn't notice any cracks. I had the PU up for 3 days with the heater running to put the new carpet in. Rained last night, again was all dry inside.

I guess I'll get a gallon of kiwigrip, better safe than sorry.

10. inthedirt

inthedirt Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Nice! I just picked up the Jayco Baja version of the off-road type of Pup, 2006 model. I agree with the comment on the heavy tongue weight. My TV is a 3/4T Chevy, so I'm not too worried about it. But on your Nissan, I would def recommend air bags over the add-a-leaf or helper spring style of weight carrying springs. When there isn't a load over the axles, the helpers will ride harsh. The airbags can be adjusted while driving down the road, as needed, empty or loaded for bear. Just a thought....

11. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Yeah airbags will be done before a long pull. Can get a pretty good set for about $300, Hellwig helper springs are about the same price!

I was looking for either the E3 Coleman/fleetwood or a Baja, I had basically given up on finding one and was looking at building something similar... then my E3 popped up

12. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    The cracks are really, really small. I was in the same situation. No leaks, but I knew the clock was ticking. Then came that sad day after some major rainstorms when I cranked up the roof and found a light fixture full of water, and a bunch of stains and mold.

13. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    How did you repair the roof? I'm torn between Kiwigrip or just taking it in to be sprayed with Line-X. To me the Line-X route is final, I'm just not exactly sure how to have it applied. Just the top of the roof and keep it 1/4" from the side trim then caulk between the line-x and the trim? Or remove the roof trim somehow, hoping that nothing breaks?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  14. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    I haven't fixed it yet. A guy from the FB group put a new layer of fiberglass over the top. I'm thinking about doing that.
    The roof rack rails have been known to come off, so I think I want to do some repair work on those as well, so I think I will take those off, re-glass the roof, then re-attach everything more permanently.

15. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Do you know how to get the roof rails off? I'm guessing a heat gun and patience. I'm worried about damaging them, can't seem to be able to find replacements online.

16. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    I guess you just used the zerks to lube the bearings. It's not a good idea to mix different types of grease, so at some point you should probably do the whole bearing clean out and repack. That way you know for sure what kind of grease is in there and use the zerks to put the same kind in. It's a good idea to do the full repack every now and then anyway.

17. ghmpm

ghmpm New Member

May 23, 2015
    Nice Evolution, thanks for sharing! I also have an Evolution (E-1 though) and I tow it with a Nissan Frontier!

18. justwork

justwork Member

Mar 27, 2017
    E2 was what I was looking for, or something comparable. After almost a year of looking this E3 popped up so I jumped on it. We will see how the Frontier does.

19. Fini

Fini New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    i Roy,
    This is probs a real newb question but I'm from Australia and kinda new to pups, I am intrigued by that little veranda type thing under the bed at the front over the draw bar. I get that it's obviously for storage but what happens to it when you're travelling? Haven't seen anything like that around here. [:O]
    Cheers
    Fi

20. iamgb1

iamgb1 New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    The front deck on a Coleman/Fleetwood/Somerset E3, or Starcraft 12RT, or a few other similar designs is primarily intended for hauling an ATV or a couple of dirt bikes. The railings are actually detachable ramps that facilitate loading/unloading of heavy wheeled vehicles. In practice people haul all kinds of stuff on there. It's a great place to load a family sized fleet of bicycles, coolers, storage totes, really 600 or so pounds of just about anything you could haul in a pickup bed.