Fold up door coming down during transport on rough roads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Solo camper, May 15, 2018.

1. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    I have had the door come loose from the plastic latches on ceiling when traveling on back roads. 2002 Starcraft 1404. Has anyone ever figured out a back up method to attach door.. I can usually come up with ideas but still figuring on this one.

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I had that problem with my Palomino. I made a snap strap and mounted it to the ceiling with rivets. I then mounted the opposit side of the snap on the door. When the door was in travel position I would snap the strap to the door. I got the idea from Coleman. Their 80's model campers all stowed the door this way.

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I don't think mine has ever done that... My 2008 STARCRAFT 14 R/T fold-up door uses what is called a TURN BUTTON which is metal and locks into a rounded out form washer just made for it...

[​IMG]

I also have the plastic knobs when the door is folded down up against the ceiling plate...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia

5. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    Yea I like that set up. Only thing is I don’t know what is in my ceiling to screw into. Can anyone tell me what is above the ceiling material, is there plywood or nailers that you would have to find to screw into.

6. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    I am going to try this, I think it should work. Found these clamps at surplus store, .39 a piece. They have very strong tension on them. Put one on either side of plastic turn piece. This should keep them from turning in flight.

Attached Files:

Katskamper likes this.