Folding up in the rain

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by tfischer, Oct 3, 2017.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

This is year #4 with our pup, and up until last weekend we've been fortunate and almost always were able to tear down in decent weather. A couple times things were damp and I toweled off and set up for an hour or so once we got back home just to make sure things were dry.

But Saturday into Sunday it rained all night. It rained all morning, and we cooked breakfast under the awning and crammed our family plus another into our camper to eat. I put the camper away soaking wet, and hoped the weather would change.

It basically rained constantly until noon today. Finally with some sunny weather, I got home from work, raised up the camper, set it up, and it was still dripping wet. But everything was just fine. I have it up right now to make sure it's good and dry, plus I did a deep cleaning as long as I had it up and home (we store it off-site.

Even though the tenting was soaked, the beds were very dry. I attribute the fact that Palomino keeps the bunk end tenting permanently attached to the bed slides... any water just stays right on top. Very good design.

So, it appears that you can indeed store the camper wet for a few days with no ill effects.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Need to meet me out in WY in Sept and see if you can fold it up dry:D. Every year I go there in Sept I end up packing up in the rain and or snow or any combination thereof. Mine has the ends permanently attached to the front of the beds, but the sides are lose. However, there is one piece that hangs completely down on both sides and if folded up just right the beds do not get wet until they are pushed in and if the rain/snow is heavily they can now get a bit wet until the top is down.

I have had to keep it closed up for up to a week a few times and never had a problem with drying it out. However, that was when I lived in Moab which is a very dry place and that might help. ID is also dry, but not like the SE Utah desert.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    The longest time I dared to wait to dry out the canvas was a week and I didn't have a problem. Now if I lived in a really hot and humid place I probably would not wait that long. Like you my camper is stored offsite. I could open the camper up in storage but couldn't pull the beds out all the way so could only make due by pulling the canvas out. Looked kind of funny sitting in a chair reading a book while the camper dried. But everyone I met in storage understood. Sometimes, I used it as an excuse to go camping again. [:D]

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Fortunately I can keep the camper in the driveway (which it currently is) when I need to work on it. No HOA's here thankfully!

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I dread the day I have to deal with breaking camp in the rain. My canvas is one piece all the way around, and it all velcros under the bunks. No way to avoid getting the mattress wet when collapsing as the canvas has to be packed in with the outside on the mattress itself. I have a waterproof mattress pad so I am hoping it will help when I have to deal with it.

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    My Apache hardside was good as far as popups go and folding in the rain. The mattresses and cushions were vinyl covered, so a little water was no big deal. I would fold the beds down and push them in. Then, I would crank the roof down about halfway, so the side walls were at 45 degrees. I would towel dry all the ABS and crank it down. I never needed to set it up at home. I would just crank the roof up about half way and let it air out a few hours.

7. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    I only had to pack up once in the rain. I was still pouring when I got home and I knew I wouldn't have time the following day to set it up to dry. So I set it back up in the rain and let it sit for a few days. Sure, it got wetter but it also started drying as soon as the rain stopped.

Natureangel likes this.
  8. matwiyj

matwiyj Member

May 17, 2011
    Winnipeg, Canada
    I have packed up in the rain many times and it's not that hard to keep stuff mostly dry. Undo the velcro and leave the canvas hanging past the beds, then push in the bunk ends and leave the canvas hanging down outside the camper. Then fold the canvas so the dry side of the tenting is on the mattresses. I get pretty wet doing this but the interior and beds stay pretty dry. I store it in my garage and can pop it up half-way to pull the canvas out to let it dry at home. Just have to park on the driveway until it dries out.