Fort Stevens SP

Discussion in 'Oregon' started by SirLancelot, Jan 28, 2014.

1. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

Sep 28, 2010
    This review is pretty belated, but we camped for 10 days last August with some friends. We had our PUP and they had a cavernous REI tent. The review is multi-faceted, but here goes:

The grounds: The campground is AWESOME in many respects. It's very very clean, each site has power and water hookups, and the campground is surrounded by towering fir trees. The loops are large, but small enough that we always felt comfortable allowing the little kids to ride their bikes around as long as they were accompanied by an older kid. The bathrooms are clean and hot showers are FREE. I repeat: FREE! The sightseeing opportunities in and around the park are limitless. The ocean is amazing, the shipwreck is fun to visit, the bike trails seem limitless, Coffinbury Lake is nearby and a great alternative to the ocean beach when it's windy, and the WWI/WWII forts are tons of fun to explore. Save some money to get the guided underground tour. It's worth it and the kids loved it.

The campsites: As I mentioned, each site has power and water and is significantly cheaper than a hookup site at WA State Parks that we typically visit as we're Washingtonians. There are a variety of different layouts at sites and with very very few exceptions, I really didn't see any that I thought were unsuitable for camping for several days. The downside is that if you're camping with friends in a tent, the sites are pathetically small for tents. Trailers were great, tents are not. Several people we saw had tents that were forced to be almost next to the road as the tent sites were so small. The far south loop (can't remember the letter for it) was the only exception to loops I didn't like. It was much more wide-open and had significantly less privacy than others. I like a bit of privacy in camp sites, and found there was nearly none in that south loop.

We'd go back, but only if we were with friends in a trailer as well. Otherwise, it's just too much of a gamble.

2. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    I used to go to that park when I was a kid. It used to be much better. It's gotten too commercialized now.

3. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy New Member

Mar 7, 2014
    I've tent camped at ft. Stevens twice. Next Sunday we head out for a 5 day stay in our pup. I'm a bit apprehensive as the deserve America site said there is electric only at the site. I really want full hook ups but this is all that was available. I admit it... I'm terrified of backing in. Its not been a good experience backing up. My family days its quite comical, but the only site I could get for 5 days is a back in.

4. moose_mom

moose_mom New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    We are going on the 10th-I can hardly wait! I didn't know there were guided tours-where do you go to book
    them?

5. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Hola Yo'll

I am looking at this because we would like to be there next August for ... http://www.recumbentretreat.org/ .

Not being a $$$ Fan of reserve America - I am hoping they may have a more personal manner of skipping
    the $$$ middle money making marketing plan.

6. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    You can reserve by phone, but there is still a fee. Here is the number: 1-800-452-5687