Fort Wilderness @ Disney World.

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Fishman1, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

Good morning, I’m new here and this question has probably been asked many times before. What are the pros and cons of camping at Fort Wilderness ? Might be going down soon and the input will be appreciated.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Our resident expert has gone mia. Im booked for halloween of this year. Pros and cons of what exactly, camping vs hotels? Or just the campground in general? I thought it was a lot cheaper and people seem to love tbe campsight, its disney after all. Some just go to camp there. Do you have kids, plan to hit the parks? What type of camper? When do you want to go?

Orchid likes this.
  3. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

Coleman Taos. No children. Pros and cons of the camp ground. Probably go in January. Do plan to go to the parks. Thanks

4. kgesiako

kgesiako Member

Heading there end of March with d/w and 7yo d/d. Driving from Chicago. Interested in hearing people’s input also since this is our first trip there.

5. kgesiako

kgesiako Member

No word with orchid yet? Was looking forward to getting input from her. Hope all is ok

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Pros are its disney, so its supost to be super clean, nice although might be a bit overpriced for some stuff. I liked it because, you get, free busses or fairy to disney, it has some activites( i have a daughter so some of those might not be great for you) , free movies each night. Pools look good, they have a quite one for adults. You get to reserve your fast pass stuff 6 months in advance or something. Thats only for people staying at Disney resorts. So if you stay elsewhere the rides tou want may be booked. You get free magic bands for the park, wristband for the fastpasses. Otherwise its 20 bucks. You get free parking if you drive to a park , otherwise it costs. They say they have some fishing, horseback riding, archery for a fee, its disney so probably not cheap. I like it because it was way cheaper then a hotel and flying, you can camp( no campfires unless you bring a fire pit with a cover). And save on food etc, while getting some of the perks of staying at a disney property. You get the bonous magic hours.

Con, no dump stations. So get a full hook up if you need water, sewer etc. Otherwise they send you to empty campsights to dump chem toilet etc. I couldent get a full hook up sight. Book now lol. It books up quick. I booked a year out and had trouble getting a sight.

7. Sjm9911

No, most of my info is from orchid, and her guy booked my trip, otherwise on the web sight all camp spots were booked. She was going to try and meed us there also........im atually pretty woried about her.

Orchid likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

If you have trouble booking i can pm the info for the guy thqt books the stuff. It was eaisier then me doing it.

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

The Disney boards have a ton of info on Ft wilderness.

Think it is disboards.com or something like that.

Orchid, Sjm9911 and Fishman1 like this.
  10. Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day New Member

Pros- agree with all of above. Super clean, no shortage of amenities, or activities.

Cons- LOTS of golf carts with screaming teens, loud music, and neon lights. All night long, driving around every circle over and over.

I think the pop up/tent loop is quieter, and I will only stay there from now on.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Yes i joined the dis boards at your sugestion. Now im even nore unprepared,lol.

Good to know the pop up sights are a little quitter. Thats where im booked. Ill update after my october trip!

12. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

We've stopped in for a few nights during our last 2 Jan trips. It's great if you want to do the Disney Parks, Disney Springs (which is free), etc., but if we were not going to Disney stuff, we stick to the state parks which are much cheaper and in much nicer (natural) places than Orlando.

Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.
  13. Lauren Pentz

Lauren Pentz New Member

We have camped there in our PUP in November with our 2 girls 6 and 8. We absolutely LOVE Ft. Wilderness.

- Proximity to the park
    - Bath houses are immaculate, definitely Disney quality
    - Each night there is a camp fire with a sing-a-long where Chip and Dale come to interact and take photos; you can cook hot dogs and smores here (bring your own or buy supplies there) the only downside I see of Ft. Wilderness is that you can't have your own camp fire at your site. only a few types of approved fire pits (probably not the right term for them)
    - pool has a waterslide
    - so much cheaper for a electric/water site than it is for any other resort property and you still get all of the benefits of being an on property guest (Extra magic hours, etc)

Have fun ... you will LOVE it

14. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

It’s been along time since I’ve posted a reply but I thank all of you for your responses. We are thinking about going in January or February.

15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Book now. You have nothing to lose and only one nights deposit required until check-in. It's fully refundable if you cancel. I love, love, love Fort Wilderness. It's my favorite place to camp, other than our Florida state parks at the beach.

I've never had any trouble with people being loud after quiet hours, or drunk, or disruptive. Been camping there since the 70's (as a child) and only positive experiences with other guests. The only time I will not stay there is on Disney marathon weekends. They start at dawn and set off fireworks every 10 minutes as a starting signal to each group of participants. It's nothing short of a nightmare trying to sleep in a pop up with that going on! We avoid marathon weekends like the plague.

I have seen golf cart being operated unsafely, by both adults and kids that are likely too young to be driving them.

Those are the only down sides I can think of. Grounds are gorgeous and clean. Bathhouses are modern, air conditioned, and immaculate. But transportation at every loop to take you anywhere you need to go, runs about every 10 minutes.

kgesiako and Fishman1 like this.
  16. kgesiako

kgesiako Member

Just got back from our inaugural spring break trip and it was fantastic! We stayed in the 2000 loop, which I hear is reserved for mostly pups and tents, and I highly recommend requesting that spot. Cruised some other loops with bigger tt’s and looked pretty tight, but plenty of room where we were. Stayed 5 days with 2 at the parks and thinking next time only going to do one park day since there was so much at the campground we were missing! Thinking we will be doing every other year now.

Fishman1 likes this.