FR Rockwood high walls remodel: can this be done?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Katskamper, Dec 6, 2018.

rockwood highwall - move furniture?

1. yes move sofa & cabinet

50.0%
  2. no, it will not work

50.0%
  1. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    6E6A2395-5779-429E-97E4-0640C6C406D1.jpeg

i REALLY liked the Forest River Rockwood highwall
    with the kitchen on the door side that i saw at RV show.
    except for the sofa placement., i asked if floorplan could be modified at factory. sales guy said no.
    dang.
    i would buy new IF i could get exactly what i want.
    so, used it is.

who currently has this rig thats a few years old?
    how’s it holding up?
    how is the sofa attached? to floors or walls? both?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    9C0BE763-1AEE-428E-B2AD-C47ABDDC0DC5.jpeg 3E2A4C84-7B0E-4E26-A2A6-FE7A56479312.jpeg heres is the current model floorplan& specs from FR website.

3. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    C4C87155-C028-45B6-BA34-49D952BAB9A8.jpeg heres what i want.
    a better floorplan.

this is a forest river HW29sc
    and the mods I would make

• eliminate slide out dinette.

• remove built in toilet, replace with portable toilet. (easier to dump)

• take out shower - wont use . soxs get wet.

• turn sofa to long wall, so i dont have to climb over it to get in front bed.

• move cabinet to long wall door side for tv or storage.

• make both beds Queen size, so one size set of sheets will fit either bed.

i would like to swap sink & stove. dont like stove near door /traffic but thats plumbing& gasworki cant do..

is this weight balanced/ structural ?

4. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    is the toilet cassette accessible form the outside via a hatch? If so it will be easy to access and not necessary to remove.

5. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    toilet? dont know. not indicated on their fllorplan. see above.
    shower : i prefer a dry floor, separate tub. it has the space to do plus mini sink

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    What year is the one you're looking to purchase?

7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Usually they use something like the Thetford Cassette Toilet and there's an access door outside. I had one of those
    and I can affirm that they're WAY easy to dump. Matter fact, I think they're easier to dump than a portable toilet
    because you actually don't touch the bowl/seat/lid at all. The door opens to where the "cassette" is, pull it out,
    dump it. Easy peasy.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I would rather just step on the sofa to get into the bed.

neighbormike likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Not sure, but some highwall campers have a black water tank just like a full size TT. That would mean more plumbing than an average popup. ive also seen where people remove the showers all together on a low wall popup so it is doable. You would probably need to find a way to brace the wall if you do and plug up the pipes. It's entirely your preference on whether you want to do that. You may want to use the camper as is for awhile so you know 100% sure that's what you want to do. To each their own. As far as the rest as long as your skill level is high enough you can do everything and it's within your budget. I would buy used and a unit close to what you want though if your going to rearrange things. Personally I also includ my time and skill level if I'm going to do major renovations. I'd rather live with something if it will take too long or be too expensive to do myself.

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    I've never seen any highwall popup with an underfloor black water waste tank like those used on travel trailers, it's either a cassette toilet or a flush toilet sitting atop a small (~ 9 gal) waste tank that also serves as the base of the toilet - nothing underfloor. Whether a cassette toilet's waste tank can be removed from outside the camper via an exterior hatch or from inside the camper depends on how the toilet is oriented within the trailer. If the waste tank end of the toilet faces to an outside wall then the trailer manufacturer will install an exterior hatch door for easy access to the waste tank from outside the trailer, if the toilet lies alongside one of the trailer's sidewalls then the waste tank must be accessed from within the trailer by opening a cabinet door.

To the OP, your proposed mods are IMO impractical. Popups aren't built with "cabinets" or "sofas", they're merely an assembly of panels screwed together. I can't imagine removing a slide from a popup trailer to make it a non-slide, nor converting the bed sizes as that would involve resizing the bed platform frames, mattresses, AND tenting. Talk about major surgery!

11. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    The new FR highwalls do have the black tank instead of the cassette. I recently bought a used '08 Fleetwood highwall and it too has a black tank--some years have cassettes and FR models might as well. I prefer dumping our old portapotty but I think a cassette would be great too. Consider getting one with the cassette if you go through with this. They are basically built-in portapotties.

On that note, if you're going used, many of the older ones have same size front and back bunks so you can use the same sheets for both. I guess you just have to mod the mattress and not the entire bunk end though.

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Your Fleetwood has (as I recall) a Sealand flush toilet that sits atop a 9 gal waste tank that serves as the toilet base and is NOT a separate underfloor waste tank as used on the vast majority of travel trailers. I would assume FR highwalls are similar.

13. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
  14. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    as i said at the start, i saw the NEW one at the RV show.

the highlander has a good layout.

right now, im just looking at what is out there & what mods are possible-

and folks here are pretty dang SMART.

15. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Grey, we must have cross posted. I didn't mean to suggest that popups have undercarrriage black tanks. I was merely confirming that some do have a black tank (that is not a cassette) and that new Forest River highwalls probably do too.

16. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Hi - can confirm, my 2005 Fleetwood Niagara has a built-in black tank, which you empty at a dump station. It's fantastic! The stinky slinky (aka sewer hose) stores inside the rear bumper, very convenient. No built-in gray tank.

My floorplan is very similar to the first one pictured in this thread (only differences are instead of a sofa, I have an L-shaped short sofa and a cabinet that houses the microwave and both my beds are kings). We are a family of 5, so the extra space and big beds are really important to us (seeing we have a nack for picking the worst weather weekends to camp and often end up hanging out inside). We've only had it a few months, but so far it's working out great for us.

Kat, I agree I love having the kitchen on the door side. It's nice to look out if you're working in the kitchen.

On your sofa removal, keep in mind that the bunk ends are so high off the camper floor that you would need to add a small step. Ours has the sofa on one end and the other end does have a small built in step (about a foot high) to get in the other bed.

Also when the sofa runs along the end wall, underneath it is the storage area that you can access from the outside. We didn't really think about that when we bought it, but it is AMAZING to have that storage space to store all the things you need when setting up the camper - crank handles, leveler, chocks, level, etc. We currently have the poles to our dometic cabana in there (until we figure out a good way to keep them in the awning bag), so it's good that it's a long space.

I would say that for us the biggest deciding factor on a floorplan/model was number of people. So think about how many people you will be camping with. Is there comfortable bed space? Will the dinnette be big enough for everyone if you are stuck inside due to weather?

Good luck!

17. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    For interest sake here's a few screen shots of Fleetwood non-slide highwall models.
    Highlander was a series of highwall popups manufactured by Fleetwood Folding Trailers, not a model. Most were slide models but there were a few non-slide versions - the 2004 to 2007 Sequoia which we've already talked about, the 2004 Redwood and 2005 Newport being the other two. Keep in mind that just because a given model may have a certain floorplan one model year it won't necessarily be the same in other model years. These Sequoia models are examples ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=d3BlNk0xbGl1M2N2dE51SUNnYTRHZWU5N2ZQelBn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=d3BlNk0xbGl1M2N2dE51SUNnYTRHZWU5N2ZQelBn

18. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    The downside being that your toilet's fixed black water waste tank, which also serves as the toilet base, offers only 9 gals capacity so once it's full the toilet is no longer usable. [V] If you're still camping that in turn means you either have to off load the contents into a portable tote and take it to the dump station OR break camp and take the trailer itself to the dump station. OTOH most travel trailers have a flush toilet that wastes into a much larger black tank so having to empty it while still camping usually isn't needed. While a cassette toilet with a removable 5 gal waste tank may offer less capacity servicing it is as simple as pulling out the waste tank and taking it to the dump station and for this reason IMO makes far more sense in a popup.

19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    If you camp at full hook up campsites then the 9 gallon tank isn't an issue.

20. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    For some, the cassette (or portapotty) really is a better option. For others, it isn't.

I've never camped at a site with any hookups and while I might in the future, it'll just be an overnighter on the way to someplace without them. :p

Katskamper likes this.