Freezing in Florida

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Orchid, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Thanks! And they sure are not!

Nope, just the one heater only. It got really warm in the camper. The temperature inside was in the mid 80's when I turned it off at 3 am. Just ONE heater. I was very happy.

Brrrrr .... even in the 60's. I have a heated throw and I will take it with me in January and February. One of my daughters is using it on this trip, being in a tent. Her kids will be in the warm camper with us. :)

2. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Orchid, just in case you're feeling too warm, Canaan Valley today..[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Wachusetts Mountain ( Little dinky ski area in Massachusetts) is opening Friday:

[​IMG]

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    No fair... send snow to south California. I mean ALL of the snow...

5. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

May 22, 2013
    We're getting liquid snow on Thanksgiving this year. Going to be in the low 50s and rain. Blah.

Was actually warm enough this afternoon to put the roof part way down on my car on the way home from work... about 60 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone

6. Orchid

I don't miss this one bit! A few years prior to us moving to FL, our 4 foot tall fence was completely buried in snow.

It's pretty to look at when it first falls, but it doesn't stay that way long, as anyone who has ever lived in a snowy area knows. It turns into gross, muddy and black nasty yukky-ness after the first day. I like watching the Hallmark Movie version of snow from my nice comfy home in FL. All I see is the white, fluffy beautiful falling stuff. [LOL]

7. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Even at my age, I still love to ski as often as I can. The white helps cover the ugly for awhile [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Orchid

I have an interesting update on this thread -

We camped a week in February. We ran our electric space heater several of the nights. One of the nights, it was chilly, but the guys didn't want to run the heater, as it gets a bit warmer than they like.

We all sleep with a fan, but didn't want to just turn on the fan on the roof a/c as it would blow in the outside cold air. So we all compromised by turning on the "heat" setting on the roof a/c to use as a fan noise and luke warm heat. Well, apparently I never let it heat up long enough in my home trials because that thing was cranking out the heat and had the entire camper quite hot in the middle of the night.

It was in the high 40's, low 50's that night and downright HOT in the camper, even to me. I would guess it to have been in the upper 80's. I got up and changed it to the "fan" to bring in some cold air and cool things down. Now I see why our pup doesn't have a furnace. That roof heat acts as well as any furnace, just takes more than the few minutes I had given it to heat up.

So now I am the proud owner of a rooftop electric heat system, 2 fairly useless space heaters, and 1 very good oscillating space heater. [:D]

Oh, and a space heater that looks like a fan that DH grabbed out of a dumpster at the U-Haul place yesterday, along with THREE large flat screen TVs. [:O] [LOL] Kind of a long story, we were there trying to rent a truck to haul a big trailer but their hitches were the wrong size and welded on. The dumpster was right there with stuff sticking out of it, next to where we parked. DH couldn't resist. It all works. The guy owns the place said take it, it was all left in a U-Haul truck.

9. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

May 22, 2013
    That's great that the roof heat works for you. So many people complain about how weak it is. None of the roof AC units I have owned have had heat strips, so I can't really comment.

Two things I would like to comment on, though.

1) The highest capacity roof heat strips are 6,000 BTUs. Most RV furnaces are around 20,000 BTUs, so they're about 3 times more powerful. Not needed in your case, but certainly can be in others.

2) Roof air units usually just recirculate the air inside your camper (just like central heat/air in your house). Don't count on them to bring in fresh air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Orchid

I've read the same, which is why I more or less dismissed it as a heat source initially.

Yep, we are in Florida, so never deadly cold. I would not depend on it if we still lived in WV or MD. Not that I have been able to test it in any colder temperatures, but just based upon what I've read. For Florida, it does great.

A non-issue for us, as our other heat sources are also electric. However, great info for anyone using it with a propane space heater.

11. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Wow....just when I thought that I had seen it all....I am speechless too

12. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    I'm pretty sure that's a UL listed drywall screw though... [:D]

Our favorite weekend getaway camping area has gotten over 240 inches of snow this year. I think camping season there will begin the first or second week of July this year.

13. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    The rooftop electric heater blows the rising air off of the propane furnace into the bunk ends at night. The thermostat will only kick on the furnace when the heater can't keep up.

14. Orchid

Not true in my case. We don't have a propane furnace and had no other heat source running.

15. mavirg

mavirg New Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Our roof top heater only blows mild warm air,not enough to warm the camper @ 34 degrees this past week-end.Had to flip the propane furnace on.

16. Orchid

I've read this a lot. Ours was blowing some nice hot air when I got up to turn it off. It had been on for several hours, so not sure if it needs time to heat up or what. In my initial tests, it only blew luke warm air.

Also, there is a big difference in temperatures near freezing and our low temp that was around 50 degrees. If we lived up north, I would have to install a real furnace, I'm sure.

17. mavirg

mavirg New Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Even @ 54 degrees ours still only blows mild warm air,every one @ the campground that has a a/c roof top heater said the same about theirs.Oh well I guess we will live with it.

18. Orchid

Can't say that I have conducted any interviews when we've been camping. The only reason I dismissed ours as a valid heat source initially is from others' experiences that I've read here on the forum.

As I mentioned, ours doesn't blow hot right away. I'm not sure at what point it got hot, since I was asleep, but after it had been on for hours, it was definitely blowing good hot air.

I still will not rely on it, and will always have our space heaters with us. They heat very quickly, if needed. I would still recommend trying to let yours run all night and see what happens. Just wanted to put that out there in case others were only trying, and giving up, after short trials as I had.