Fridge Baffle Project Planning

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by TeamECKO, Apr 12, 2018.

1. TeamECKO

TeamECKO Member

Aug 6, 2016
    WA State
    Hello Everyone,

I am planning to do the fridge baffle and fan project and was looking for some feedback. I have a 2001 Coleman Santa Fe with a Dometic 2193 fridge. Attached is a photo of my setup, as well as my planned modifications. The black area is the area I will enclose with aluminum sheet flashing to make a baffle. My first question, the area in red is an opening that is between the chimney and the wall of the fridge cabinet. Should I also make a baffle/divider to seal off this area (upper from lower) to force more air through my baffle for the fins, or leave this area open to allow airflow around the chimney to cool when I use propane?

I found a couple of 80mm fans that move 48CFM each I was planning on using. I see some are using 120mm, but since my fins aren’t that large, it seemed like the extra size fans would just overlap with my baffle... which lead to me my next question. Is it better to mount the fans right on/next to the fins, or farther away, near the opening/access door? I was initially going to mount the fans in the center of the fins, but after reading a Wikipedia article with a thermal image (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator) I noticed a majority of the heat emminated from the right sides of the fin column, so I was going to put them both near the right side.

Since I normally camp during warm times, I was planning on having the fans run all the time. I planned on wiring them through my galley power cutoff so they automatically turned on when I raised the galley and automatically turned off when I lowered the galley.

Any suggestions/feedback?

Attached Files:

2. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

Mar 22, 2016
    I would use a temperature “snap switch” on the radiator fins.
    I bought one from Amazon. They are cheap!
    Norcold 618093 DC Fan Thermostat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RCX95U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4Lb0Ab1N0VBGC
    That way your fans will run when needed, and turn themselves off when not.
    This is what I used.
    You mount it to one of the fins on the “hot” end.

3. TeamECKO

TeamECKO Member

Aug 6, 2016
    WA State
    Thanks, I’ll look into that. Do you just mount it to the fin as flush as possible or do you need to put some thermal paste between them like heat sinks in computers?

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I would wire in a on-off switch as well as the sensor.. There has been times where the campground we have been in looses electricity and well dont need those fans using battery power when you dont know how long youll need to squeeze the battery for.

5. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

Mar 22, 2016
    I did not use any thermal paste in between, and mine works just fine.
    I don’t think it would hurt to use it though.
    I used a lighted LED switch as Snow has recommended.
    There are times I don’t feel the fans are needed, or if boondocking, I sometimes don’t turn them on at all.
    I might be able to dig up some pictures of mine this weekend, and post them.

6. TeamECKO

TeamECKO Member

Aug 6, 2016
    WA State
    Finally had time to finish the baffle and fans. Wired into the 12v power just after the safety cutoff under the galley so they automatically turn on/off when setting up or taking down the camper. Also have a switch on the galley to manually turn off if needed.

Attached Files:

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Nice. should work well to make the fridge more efficient ..

8. AzJeff

AzJeff New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    northern Arizona
    Are you committed to always running the fans? Does that restrict the existing convection?

9. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    I just have a plug in the lower section of the fridge, that I can unplug if needed.
    I don't like the idea of the switch tied into the galley, because I want my fan to run while precoolling the unit with the top down.
    The fan definitely speeds up that process.