Fridge Mod Electrical Intimidation...

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by JETent, Aug 15, 2011.

1. JETent

JETent JT

Jul 7, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    Hey Ghacker...and all of the portal...had good results with the fridge mod this weekend. My interpretation from the reams and reams of info out there on the mod was that the lower/upper fan scenario may limit overall effectiveness of the baffle. Originally, I was going to go w/the "one lower, one upper" version but then changed my mind. Since I already had two fans, I opted for the "two fans upper" version of the mod.

This weekend was the first field test for the f-mod. The f-mod worked well under extreme condition temperatures (outside +104^, inside 75^-82^), achieving maximum performance after running for 48hrs (95^/31^). Achieving optimum temp was due to, in large part, from not constantly opening/closing the fridge door. We limited the fridge to non-sensitive items, excluding often accessed, sensitive perishables like beer, milk, eggs, beer, raw beef, beer, etc. Sensitive items were kept in the arctic igloos, resting in the shade underneath the E3. All in all, looks like my version of the f-mod is working ok. Biggest chore this weekend in regards to keeping food/bevs cool was shoving the Igloos around, keeping them out of the sun.

Thanks again to all for sharing your photos, experience and knowledge.

Later,
    JT

2. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Hey JT,

This is an old thread, but your first post sounds just like me today! I don't have much electrical experience (changing a ceiling fan or a light switch at home is the extent of my knowledge). I'm glad that you were able to complete this mod.

It seems like you had learned a lot and know the proper terms now. Is there a guide you looked at for how to wire this 12v system? I'm right where you were on the first post, but you lost me at terminal, paddle connector and so on!

Or do you have any close up pictures of your connections and wiring?

I'm thinking about just buying a fan that could plug into the 110v system (using outlet in the bottom access panel) but sort of what to prove to myself that I could handle this type of Mod!

Also, will this run from shore power when I'm connected to 110v through the converter? I usually only camp where we have an electric site.
    Any advice for a newbie? Thanks!!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    I got my fan from a computer shop in town, he gave me the fan harness from a computer. It has a little larger wires, and a connector to plug (and daisy chain) the fan into.
    Do you see a black and a white wire that comes into the enclosure? They are your 12 v wires. That is how I connected mine, using wire nuts

4. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    That will only work if you have shore power.

Better choice would be 12VDC fan, 12V is readily available at the fridge control panel. Most computer fans today have 3 wires. use the red(+) and black(-). Ignore the yellow wire, that is for measuring fan speed. On your PUP black is positive and white is negative.

5. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Thank you for the tips! I have never worked with a 12v system so not sure of the basics on how to do this, which is why I was thinking about using a 110v fan and just plugging it in. I always have an electric site so wasn't too concerned about that.

I've read a lot on here about this mod, but haven't seen to much info on how to do the wiring for a beginner like myself.

Thanks for your help!

6. Maxsterblaster

Maxsterblaster New Member

Jun 11, 2018
    sound
    sounds like he had a few of those beers when writing post :0

7. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Just be aware that fan won't run when you are traveling.

8. MickeySp

MickeySp Member

Apr 2, 2015
    The idea of an LED in the compartment is great. No more flashlights when fiddling around in there at night.