Funny/scary/weird experiences...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by DJFav, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That is very, very scary! You need to get some roof supports, at least two for opposite corners, to keep on while you're popped up. Glad everyone knows what to do now. You are lucky to not have a brain injury or be dead. [:O]

Andy G. and DJFav like this.
  2. Andy G.

Andy G. New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    WI
    I sure had a headache, but I got lucky. I like the prop idea. Might make some this winter.

Orchid likes this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Man!! Glad you're ok! I would have been more than furious (once I came to). Glad you now have a system worked out!

Orchid likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I was camping with my parents at a resort style campground so lots of kids running around screaming. I finished packing up my stuff and went over to help my parents. The wind ended up blowing something under my moms camper and lodged itself on the axle and the only way to get it was to crawl under. So I'm under the camper and the only way to move under it is to scoot. Got what I needed to get but while trying to get back my belt loop caught on something under the camper and I was stuck. I tried to scoot back but no going it wasn't letting me go. Mom went to the bath house while I was under the camper and the Next thing I hear is my dad say he is going to hook the camper up to go to the dump station. I'm screaming from under the camper, "NO! I'm stuck" being right by the axle no one could see me. Thankfully dad heard the no but couldn't figure out where it came from. He's walking around the camper trying to find mom and was about to brush it off to noise from another site. Right than, mom shows up and asks dad where I was, I'm calling out from under the camper I'm stuck. Thankfully they both heard me that time. Being the only skinny one no one could help me so it was up to me to figure out how to crawl out. eventually managed to untangle myself and scoot back out. Dad wasn't too happy with us as we should have told him what we were doing.

Orchid likes this.
  5. brainpause

brainpause New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    And on the 8th day, God made tote tanks

6. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida

I wonder what would have caused the float to explode like that?

Orchid likes this.
  7. brainpause

brainpause New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Same

8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Sounds like it was soaked in foo gas...

9. Orchid

You definitely need some if you have a lift system that won't keep the roof in place, at any location. I have an adult son who suffered a brain injury (not from camper) in 2013, so I'm very cautious about things like that. Just a couple pieces of angle iron would work fine, they are already cut the the correct length, too, more than likely. At least they were for ours. Coleman doesn't ordinarily need them but it was before we replaced a broken lift system.

10. Orchid

Some of these stories are really stressing me out. o_O Your dad is right, you should have told him what you were doing. I can picture this in my head and it scares me to death. Thankfully, it turned out alright. :smiley:

I'm glad everyone is sharing their potentially life-threatening stories. Reading them may potentially save someone in the future. Stay safe y'all!

jumpoff likes this.
  11. Orchid

I have quite a few interesting stories, all of which I've told on this forum at one time or another. I tried to find them to just link, but was unsuccessful, so going to retype them out. Here goes ...

Native Floridians may know this, but our first year here, we didn't - dried palm fronds are as flammable as gasoline. So, about sunset, a young couple takes the site next to us and sets up a small tent very close to our of our campsite. These particular sites have no real trees between the two, just some brush. Our fire pit was about 6' from where they put their tent.

I have no idea why they put it there, so close to our fire pit and table, as opposed to further onto their site. They brought out no other gear and were clearly traveling, just popping up a tent for a nights sleep. I tell DH on every trip not to gather kindling from the woods. It's illegal now. He did it anyway, for years, but has thankfully stopped it now.

So we are getting a fire going when DH sees a gigantic, dried palm frond that looks perfect to use for kindling, at least to him. This thing was about 4' across, did not even fit in the fire pit. He throws it on the fire. What happened next will be forever etched into my memory. There was a big "WHOOSH" noise and flames shot 20' into the trees. For those of you who have seen Christmas Vacation, it was just like when their Christmas tree went up.

It lit the entire tent of the young couple, and I could see the shadows of them jumping up inside. I know the flames had to come within a foot of their tent. The light could probably bee seen around the entire camping loop. Our only saving grace was that it died as fast as it lit. It was like we had thrown gas on the fire. To this day, 11 years later, you can see the burned area on the branch above the fire pit.

Story 2:

Once we were camped next to 4 meth heads with a one-eyed parrot. They had two tiny single person tents, with no rain fly on either. You could just look down into them from a standing position. Someone had rented them a few nights at the state park so they could get showers and such. They had no food or anything else with them.

I figured they were going to be trouble, so was shocked when all four of them went to bed and were asleep by 8:30 or 9:00 pm. That nice calm only lasted a few hours. In the middle of the night, they were up having a SCREAMING argument over who smoked the last cigarette. I mean loud! They woke up the entire loop.

Finally one of them got in their old muffer-less car and left for awhile and things calmed down. The next day, one of the women took a liking to us and kept coming over to our site. She brought the one-eyed parrot and tried to sell it to us. I agreed to buy it at first, but the bird hated me. It was mean. Actually it hated everyone but that woman. I tried feeding it by hand and making friends with it, as it walked around our picnic table, but it would only attack everyone but that woman. They didn't have a cage, so I couldn't buy it.

The following night, rangers and police were hanging out in the dark trees across from our sites. I saw them when I walked to the bathhouse. I don't know where their vehicles were, but they were clearly keeping an eye on this group. They ended up getting kicked out.

Story 3:

Took my daughter's new camper out only to find out the toilet wasn't working. At 4:30 am I walk to the bathhouse to find a girl laying on the filthy floor with her knees up under her body. As I enter, I hear the rear stall door close and lock, so I knew we weren't alone.

Not really sure what to think, I asked if she was okay. She replied she was and I went to a stall. As I did, I noticed there were no feet in the stall that had shut and locked. Creepy. Probably a man, otherwise not sure why they would not let their feet be shown.

After doing my business in record time, I go back out to wash my hands. I turned on the sink loud and bend down to whisper to the girl, asking if she needed help. She once again replied that she didn't. I practically had to step on her hair to wash my hands.

I later found out there is a homeless population in the woods next to that state park. Others I've spoken to have had things stolen and caught people on their site at night and coolers have disappeared.

I have one more story, but don't feel like typing it now. I'll share later.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    WVhillbilly and Rik Peery like this.
  12. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    [LOL][LOL][LOL] lmao...wife wanted to know why I was in here howling...thanks for the chuckles...[CB]

Orchid likes this.
  13. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    "Once we were camped next to 4 meth heads with a one-eyed parrot." Orchid that is he best first sentence of any story I've ever read....that's one for the ages !!!! I'm still laughing

Pommom70, John37, jmkay1 and 2 others like this.
  14. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    "polly want a crack-head"

AlohaPup, DJFav, jmkay1 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Orchid

[LOL] These were specifically meth heads. I know because the woman with the parrot told me. She said they had been living in the public bathhouse at some horse stables in the panhandle. Then some girl started tearing up the place and they started locking them. I have no clue why she shared that info with me. :wink:

16. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    I think it just exploded due to air pressure. As it got hot the air expanded and may be if it was plastic it just gave way. I will never know though. All that was left was a crater and burned debris blown outward. It looked like a scene from a WW II movie.

Phoodieman

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Oh, dummy me didn't know they were different drugs.

Orchid likes this.
  18. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Bingo, bet that was it, can only imagine lol...

19. Orchid

That's a GOOD thing. :police: