General E-Trailer comment

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by turborich, Aug 2, 2016.

1. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I recently purchased brake backing plates and drums from E-Trailer. It was easy to find the parts I needed, the prices were fair and shipping was pretty quick considering I'm in NV. Everything bolted up and worked fine.

My only issue is how the package arrived and that some of the small parts were missing and damaged. E-Trailer promptly sent out the new parts so that was great, but it set me back another 4 days! After speaking with E-Trailer customer service it's pretty clear that this is a very big issue when it comes to shipping and UPS damage.

The lug nuts, seals, dust caps and bearings were in envelopes that were easily torn open in shipping. How about placing these parts in a rigid box inside of the other box or even better would be to place these parts inside of the brake drums or tape them to the backing plates. Not getting all of the parts when you need them is very frustrating.

2. zoocity

zoocity New Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Had a similar problem with a 12 volt fan from Amazon. Couple of the blades were broken when the envelope got crushed in transit. Put my fridge mod back a few days.

Seems to be an issue with big time and mid sized retailers alike.

3. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    My only bad experience with e-trailer was when I ordered my P3 brake controller. They send me a "return" unit in a zip lock bag. There were pieces broken off inside that rattled. They were out of stock but did give me a refund.

4. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This just shows that their practices are unacceptable. They should have been honest and told you they were out of stock, not try and pass off a used broken unit. This is why I can't ever buy from them again. Their customer ratings are not accurate as they delete any negative comments. Google search it and you will find hundreds of real pissed off customers. In my case it was mostly the shipper, however the complaints online tell the real story.

5. joet

joet Active Member

Mar 16, 2011
    I had purchased a tire and wheel package from e-trailer this spring and am still awaiting for their "Price Match" refund. They have yet to contact me.....Never again will I buy from e-trailer

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    In the past few years I have bought a trailer hitch and wiring harness for my previous vehicle. I bought a brake controller and backup camera for my present vehicle, All purchases have been a good experience. If it weren't for the value of the Canadian dollar and the cost of shipping I would have bought tires and rims to replace my originals but it would have been way too expensive.

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    All of my purchases from e-trailer over the years have been good experiences. Fair prices, fast delivery and helpful CS when needed.

Shipping heavy parts such as trailer accessories is always iffy, because of size and weight and cost and attitude of the drivers.....

8. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Jan 19, 2015
    North Georgia
    I purchased a Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller from E-Trailer a few years back. Arrived promptly and well packed. They were helpful with phone support on making the controller work.

Have ordered lesser items from them since. Never had an issue.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Never had the chance to order from eTrailer...

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I bought a trailer hitch and wiring harness from E-trailer for my Ford Windstar. Luckily I didn't install them yet, when a month later when my tranny dies in the Windstar. I returned them to E-trailer in a different box and received a full refund. Have bought tires and rims and had a good experience.

11. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

May 22, 2013
    All good experiences from eTrailer. I have ordered a few hitches, wiring, brand controllers, and other items from them. As soon as I have some extra dough, I'll be ordering a hitch and wiring for our new Sedona from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    If you're buying tires, make sure to request that they send you tires no less than 6 months old. I got two year old tires because I was unaware you had to request newly made tires.

13. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Apr 15, 2014
    NC
    Ordered a hitch cover from them. After about 8 weeks the color within fell out/off. Cover still works but was irritated that it only lasted that long. Contacted E-trailer and it was going to cost me 2/3's of the price I paid for the item to ship it back to them so they could send me another. REALLY!!! Not happening. Why should I spend MORE money to have something replaced. Needless, haven't even been to the web site since.

14. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Aug 4, 2009
    SE US
    Ordered wheel/tire combos from them earlier this year. They arrived quickly and were good. I will be a little weary of them next time thought.

15. Hersbird

Hersbird Member

May 24, 2016
    Etrailer is wonderful. No where else can you find the video library they have. Add to that the lowest prices and I have never had a problem getting something quickly and as ordered. They are my go to place for all things towing or towed.

16. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
  17. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

May 8, 2015
    Upstate New York
    I've bought from E-Trailer a bunch of times including mounted tires. I have four trailers that I regularly tow and they make keeping them in good condition easier for me. Each and every experience as been very positive in my experience.

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I think the whole tires breaking down with age is way over exaggerated. When I bought my camper the tires were 17 years old and still in use. I agree with the five year replacement if the tires are exposed to heat and sunlight. Tires stored inside are going to last a long time. My tires are three years old now, since I bought them. I probably wont be replacing them in two years. I put about 1000 miles a years on the tires and store the camper inside the garage.

19. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    I agree about the comments on tire dates. My beef with the company wasn't so much that tires last longer than 5 years (always a debate depending on a wide variety of wear factors). My problem was that my new tires were already two years old when they arrived. I admit i was ignorant about specifying newly manufactured tires, but i didn't think i needed to specify.

The update is that i went ahead and installed the tires and saved the receipt to prove install date to anyone who might want to buy it in the next 5 years.

Mausinn likes this.
  20. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    5 yrs may be a low number, but it is like changing batteries in smoke detectors...the damage done with a failure is much greater than the continual replacement costs.