Getting Annoying

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by kgesiako, Dec 4, 2017.

1. kgesiako

kgesiako New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    More than a few times now I will be reading or responding to posts and I will get a Popup saying I am a winner of something. I just lost a response I spent 15 minutes typing on my IPhone because when I went to hit preview this ad came up and the only way to get rid of it is to close out of the site. I love this site, but I can’t enjoy it anymore knowing that the next page I go to this will be there! Anyone else have this issue and if it’s just my phone how do I get it to stop!!!! Help!!!!

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    The ads have been an ongoing issue (seemingly on & off). The website gurus have been working hard to eliminate the problem.

3. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Go to your phone's App store and get Ad-block Plus. I think it may be $4. I have it and can cruise Facebook with none of the pop up ads. You can turn it on and off, so if it interferes with a web site you want to go to, you can shut it off.

Katskamper likes this.
  4. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I turn off java script before I come to this site. It seems to totally stop those dxxx ads. Using iPad. Everytime I forget to turn off java script, I get those page blocking ads.
    Ed. to add the popupblocker does not seem to stop these full page ads.
    Dont have desktop/laptop so ymmv

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It's an on and off issue. I get it on my iPad; I seldom use the iPhone for websites so don't remember if I've had it there. I don't get it on my Windows laptop. It's not specific to this site, I have been getting this week here and on a blog/website I follow.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I just use a Desktop computer and use FireFox as the browser the new version has ublock as a free add on. It blocks the ads wery well

shuang2 likes this.
  7. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    I use a desktop, Microsoft Edge, pop-up blocker is not turned on, and I have never had an ad.

8. kgesiako

kgesiako New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    It seems like it’s only on this site and it happens only when I go to recent posts. Gonna try to avoid that for awhile and see if I still get it. It’s one specific ad that keeps coming up and pretty much locks me out of the site. One of those you won a thousand dollar gift card pages.

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Go to iPhone settings, Safari, and turn on "Block Pop-ups".

10. kgesiako

kgesiako New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    That’s already on. Tried turning off JavaScript also but then everything started stacking on top of each other

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I just tried that on Safari my iPad, hoping that was the solution. Tested it with the other website I've been having the issue on, no luck, same "you've won" came up. I'll have to see if there are settings on Firefox for the iPhone and iPad that will work.

12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hmmm. I never have had a problem, iPhone or laptop. **Knock on wood**

Try clearing your history and website data under the same Safari settings. I do this weekly. This should also clear your cookies that may be causing some of the problems.

13. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
  14. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Also make sure you have the "Block All Cookies" on after you log on to The Portal.

15. kgesiako

kgesiako New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    This site won’t let you log on unless cookies are enabled. Looking around in my settings and found an ad blocker app I got awhile ago that must not have turned on when I switched from old phone to this one. We’ll see if that works, but so far so good. Thanks everyone for your help!

16. kgesiako

kgesiako New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    On another note what do you have to do to go from new member to active member!!! I feel like such a freshman!!

17. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    This has topic has reared it's ugly head in the past. There is another similar thread from last summer that addressed this. The admin posted an explanation that was posted HERE (6th post down by pupadmin1).

18. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Good news fellow iPhone, IPad & MAC users...

I found an app from Apple’s App Store that blocks those VERY annoying PopUp adds. It gotten so bad that I could no longer visit the website without being harassed each time. o_O And I LOVE sharing and visiting our forum. It’s the BEST.

I paid $4.99 and downloaded an Apple store App called 1Blocker PREMIUM (there’s another app name similar to this so be careful when selecting it). My NEW app icon has three colors: purple, black and white with a NUMBER 1 inside a circle. It allows me to visit the website while logging in or not logged in. And if you’re in the Apple’s Family shared plan, you can share the app with your family circle for free after paying the initial $4.99 for yourself (the PREMIUM version). PLUS, you can also use it on your other Apple devices without having to buy it again.

I am so far VERY impressed with the app’s abilities. I did everything from blocking cookies, clearing search history, using Google, Safari and etc on my iPhone settings. Nothing worked until now with the 1Blocker PREMIUM app.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

XKPin and kitphantom like this.