Getting the camping itch again.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kim Westfall, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Kim Westfall

Kim Westfall New Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Good day to all, just a little info on who we are. My wife and I have been married 32 wonderful years and live in Gilbert AZ. Years ago we had a 30 FT fifth wheel for about five years that had all of the bells and whistles. Long story short we found out she had breast cancer and needed to sell the truck & trailer to help assist with the bills. Two weeks ago we went up to the white mountains (Lakeside AZ) for the weekend and stayed in a motel. We had a great time and on our way back home we stopped off at Woods Canyon Lake just off of 260. We spent some quality time feeding the chipmunk's and just relaxing. It's been like eight years since we have camped. Joyce turned to me and said she misses this and said I do to. I ask if she had the itch to start camping again, she said yes. I said so a tent?? HA HA!! I suggested a pop up trailer, one that will go into the garage and not have to pay $100.00 per month for storage. I promised that it will have a toilet. I said that now is the time to start looking for a small truck and trailer so that we are ready, come next May to feed the chipmunks and R&R

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Welcome from Texas, good luck in your search.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    welcome from ohio

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome to the Portal from N/W Fl. Panhandle. Camping gets in the blood and the only way to satisfy the "itch" is to go camping. I tried tent camping with my DW and it almost cost a divorce and a couple of trips to the Dr. for her seems she is allergic to several types of bugs and also sleeping on the ground:) Good luck with your search, I hope you find one like ya,ll want /need and Happy Camping

5. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Welcome neighbor from the AZ Valley of the Sun.

Woods Canyon Lake is one of my favorite lakes. There are PopUp's for sale on Craigslist and at local dealerships. Be sure to check out the forum on what to look for before buying your PopUp. Some brands are better than others. Plus what year of the model NOT TO BUY because of defective roofs & etc. We store our Aliner at home so we don't pay for storage and it makes preparing for our camping trips easier.

Good luck searching for your PopUp.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Best of luck! I know if you are patient, you'll find just what you're looking for!!

7. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Greetings from Colorado, welcome to the Portal, now scratch that itch!

8. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Greetings from Idaho! Now is a good time to start looking, people will often be looking to sell their rigs rather than pay to store them.

9. Kim Westfall

Kim Westfall New Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Thanks to all, I have been checking out C/L and some dealer's, I'm not paying full retail I did that on my fifth wheel. Some I have seen on C/L & at dealers really need to be scraped!
    Also looking for a 2005 - 2008 Tacoma 4X2 double cab would be nice but access cab will be ok.
    Just to look at the size of box that will fit in my garage a 2018 Viking 1706 total length folded up is 21 1/2 feet, that will fit. If I go with a 14 ft I cannot access my side door in my garage.
    I know that God will place the right units for me in time.
    Thanks again to all and be SAFE!

10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I agree about CL and or paying full prices at a dealership. My search took almost 2 years. I am a VERY selective shopper. ;)

I recommend renting before buying a PopUp. Just to confirm it's exactly what you want. I rented different types of campers, teardrops and trailers for a year before deciding on a Aframe.

We wanted a used Aliner in good condition. I found exactly what I wanted in the Pre-owned section of a local dealership. We negotiated the price down and requested a warranty to be included in the sale.

It's been more than a couple of years camping with our Aliner. We love it.

Good luck searching.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

11. Garry Fitzpatrick

Garry Fitzpatrick New Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Hi from Georgia!
    Good luck with your search and keeping healthy. We went thru a similar situation and scare with C, 10 years ago. It takes time.
    In agreement about CL, buying used, being selective, and God's plans.
    Safe travels!

12. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Good luck with the search and I hope your wife has the battle won.

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    upload_2017-9-15_12-53-21.jpeg Think this can help with itch until May? heheheheh

14. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    My first thought when reading the thread title was, "then I guess it's probably time to wash the sheets." :D

15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Hahahahhaha