gin pole design from Australia on an Aliner (A'Van)

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by refrigman, Aug 7, 2017.

1. refrigman

refrigman New Member

Spotted a different roof lift gin pole design in this photo of an Australian A'Van Aliner. They have a permanently welded on gin pole on the hitch, a hand winch, and a single cable going up the front roof, which connects to a pair of cables attached to the top extrusion at the rear of the front roof. Crank the winch and up she goes. Neat. No internal lift springs (or gas struts) required. 20170807_155152_resized.jpg

shuang2 likes this.
  2. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Looks interesting. I think it would be slower than just lifting by hand, but for one person of limited strength a great solution. Like the A/C location too.

3. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

Thanks to David Hall of Australia (who developed the gas spring concept) I added these to the four corners of my aging Aliner trailer. It sure beats using poles, etc. to try to raise the roof panels. For an article on how to install these on an older A-frame trailer see:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/A-FrameTeam/files

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  4. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

Springs 1r.JPG

5. KeepsakePaps

KeepsakePaps New Member

I had a motorized gin pole contraption installed on my Aliner Expedition. I'm only 5'1," with limited upper body strength, so became an issue of being able to use the Aliner or not. After unhooking the side latches and attaching two cables to the gin pole (which slips into a reinforced collar) and the roof sides, I attach a cable with hook to the gin pole--and this is the cool part, I stand wherever I please and just push a button and the winch motor pulls the roof top up. No pushing, etc. The motor and winch are attached to a frame my metalworks folks (they are geniuses) welded to the tongue (far enough back so as not to mess up the tongue weight). When traveling, I remove the cables and push button wire and stow and the gin pole 'lives' in my rear bumper. Wasn't cheap but I can use my trailer since I seem to be getting shorter and shorter!