Gizmos Plus?

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by fjr vfr, Sep 7, 2015.

1. fjr vfr

fjr vfr New Member

Feb 15, 2015
    The Gizmos on our pup make a huge difference! I started thinking, what if I also added some sort of insulation blanket under the Gizmo? It seems I'd have really great insulation from heat and cold? Of course the insulation would have to be both light weight and water proof.
    Has any anyone else had the same thought and even tried this? If so how did it work or is this a bad idea?

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    I have laid a blanket on our in the past without PUGs and it helped

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We used just the Gizmos in temps from the teens to close to 100. The air space created between the PUGs and bunk end roof seemed helpful enough. Anything added under the PUGs outside would definitely have had to be waterproof, since we did get rain/snow under the PUGS from time to time, even with Velcro at the roof edge. We encounter enough wind that the High-wind version of the PUGs was a great improvement (we had the clips pop off the regular style when we had that on our first pup), and anything under the PUG would have required its own tie-downs. We've had winds high enough that the PUGs were lifted off the surface of the bunk ends.

We concentrated on the inside for cold weather heat retention. We used the PUGs bunk end liners, or clipped up fleece. Clipping up fleece was better for shoulder seasons, since we could take some down during the day when we wanted more outside air. If we had kept the pop-up, I was going to try to use the fleece between the liners and canvas in the bunk ends when the temps were close to freezing and below. (We actually had frost in that space when we camped in the teens.)
    We had insulated curtains, and clipped fleece up in spaces those didn't cover, such as over the door - that metal frame seemed to transfer cold in very well.
    Many people seem to like the addition of Reflectix in the windows, but we opted for the fleece and bunk end liner route - the fleece was easier for us to store, and covered canvas as well as the window area.

In any case, we made sure to keep airflow such that we reduced condensation - the PUGs themselves seemed to reduce it a lot in the bunk end, due to that air space.

4. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    When I was at Lake Tawakoni SP for the 4th of July weekend I was two sites over from a hybrid that was using old sleeping bags under his PUGs. He said it allowed them to get it nice and cold inside. The CG was heavily covered with trees, so we didn't have to worry about winds blowing too hard.

I don't think you'd have to have something that is waterproof, as your PUP already is. All you really need is something that will hold up under wet weather, and probably something that can be cleaned.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I didn't do it myself, but know someone that put a moving blanket above their bunk held up by the shepherd poles. According to them it worked out well. Don't know about any condensation issues though between the blanket and ceiling.

6. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    You could always throw a layer of Reflextix under the PUG. Waterproof, very light, relatively cheap, insulating. You could use the PUG as a pattern, maybe cut it a little smaller so its just on the 'roof' of the bunk end and not wrapping around like the PUG does. This would hold it in place. Now you are giving me a new project... [:D]

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    If it is not broken, why fix it? There are emergency blankets that are made of reflectix but no blankets!

As for me, it would be too much work to set up. I leave Gizmo on my bunkend cover as I take it down. you would have to add and take off the blanket because the extra blanket would not allow the roof to close completely.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    As for being waterproof, I'd think that a) the weight of a rain-soaked blanket or whatever on top of the bunk end would not be a good thing and b) I sure wouldn't want to have to deal with said rain-soaked items to get them home.

As Halford says, anything under the PUGs would have to be removed for closing up, we had enough to do on set-up/take-down as it was.

9. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    True. I hadn't thought of the weight of the insulating material once soaked.

10. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Pool noodles are easy to slide under the pugs and yes, it does stay a bit cooler inside than using pugs alone.