Gizmos velcro failure, need advice.

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Fasttimes7, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Sep 7, 2014
    I've got the super high wind gizmos and have used them once as they came out of the box. Now I'm starting to do some mods to them, to make put up and take down easier. So after seeing that some people were using velcro to attach the gizmos under the roof lip I decided that would work for me. I got from Home Depot the Industrial velcro knockoff from Scotch, similar in principal but I guess the name velcro is trademarked. Anyways, this stuff said it could work in the wet so that's why I went with it versus the Super Strong Velcro brand.

Well, after getting home and unrolling it I see that it's pretty stiff stuff. Very hard plastic, no soft on one side like velcro. The two sides of the tape are the same, no difference between them. Once pushed together they are pretty stuck. Supposedly holds 10lbs. Has tape to remove with sticky to place where needed. Here's where my trouble is. On the underside of the pup roof it seems to stick just fine. But when I applied to the gizmo on the shiny side it just doesn't stick very well. It seats just fine, but does not over time become really stuck. I can peel it off way too easy. I haven't tried it on the pup yet but I would assume it'll peel off the gizmo.

So my question is for those that have put up velcro was your velcro as stiff as this stuff and did you stick it to the gizmo? Sew it on? Any suggestions?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Did your PUGs not come with Velcro on the end?

If it did, you need to use the same type on the underside of the lid. You can call Bob Pitney at PopUpGizmos to verify. But I can tell you right now, if it doesn't say Velcro with a copyright mark on the package, then you're using the wrong stuff.

When I installed mine on the underside of the lid, I stuck it on using the double-sided tape that is already on the Velcro. Then to reinforce this I used short wood staples.

3. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Sep 8, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    At first I tried the sticky Velcro on the Gizmo but it wouldn't hold, same result you're having. So I tried to machine sew it on but that didn't work because the sticky stuff gummed up the thread and needle. I purchased plain Velcro and was able to machine sew the fuzzy side on the Gizmo with no problem and used a staple gun to attach the hook side to the PUP. I used 5 each 1/2" wide 2" long pieces evenly spaced on each Gizmo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hook side stapled to the PUP Fuzzy side sewed to the Gizmo

4. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Sep 7, 2014
    No, mine doesn't have Velcro that I can see. Is there supposed to be Velcro on mine from PopUpGizmos or is that an addition? Mine came with a bunch of clips.

5. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    The velcro from PUGs has never come on any of mine. You have to order is as an option.

I have tried a number of adhesives to make it stick to the PUGs but what I have found to work consistently is Shoe Goo. Even contact cement will peel off over time. Shoe Goo is flexible and darn well sticks to just about anything. Two seasons later with the Shoe Goo attaching the velcro to the PUGs and no problems.

6. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Dec 28, 2013
    Living in Florida, I do not believe any appropriate adhesive will hold long due to the heat. That was my experience in South Texas. I finally took them in to my canvas shop to get it sewed on and stapled the other side to the roof lip. I tried many adhesive too.

Here's my PUG mods.

7. swordfish

swordfish Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    x2 aslag
    x2 Ryaninnc

I've been fighting this battle since day 1.
    You need to buy your own Velcro since it does not come with the Gizmo if you didn't order it. And what you bought was the wrong kind (used for EZ Pass?)
    Buy the non-stick-on kind. Sew the fuzzy strip to your Gizmo. Very true that the adhesive will gum up your needle.
    I have tried, hot glue, epoxy to attach the hook side of the Velcro to the under side of the roof but nothing works. The electric staple gun did the job.
    I did the entire width of the roof and the entire edge of the Gizmo with Velcro. Still I use tarp clamps to secure the top, middle and bottom of the Gizmo to the vinyl top.

To tell you the truth, you can just reply on the tarp clamps without the Velcro. Easy set up and take down. Works just fine.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Ok, so you don't have the Super High Wind version then if you have clips (no strings attached). That is the model which, I think, comes with Velcro (not 100% on that so check), you have the old standard type which do not.

So, you'll need to attach Velcro to the end of your PUGs. Attach non sticky "soft" side to the PUGs and use a combo of Gorilla Glue and wood staples to attach the wire side to the underside of the lid.

Before attaching the Velcro to the PUGs, give Bob a call. He may, for a small charge, ask you to send them back to him to install the Velcro. After all he has the Velcro and the facilities to attach it properly. And he is a really nice guy and will do that type stuff for his customers. So CALL first!

9. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Howdy all,

This thread is an example of the reasons we do not make Velcro standard...there are problems that can arise. But that said, it's still a good idea if you are willing to address your side of the equation...installing the hook Velcro to your trailer.

Gluing Velcro to the covers: NOT! Do not do this...you can damage the material and as such void your warranty. Which means if you do this and need the cover repaired you'll call me, I'll scold you and then I'll fix your cover at no charge :>)

Sewing Velcro to your cover yourself. DO! Go to a real fabric shop and buy the soft sided loop Velcro. It's flexible...unlike the stuff you get at Home Depot or Lowes. A household sewing machine is capable to sew this.

Why we don't offer Velcro a standard feature:

We want our covers ready to use right out of the box.

The clamping method has been and remains successful.

If I made Velcro standard I've have to raise the price of every style we offer by $10.00 a set.

And just a correction to one posting in this thread, Velcro is optional on our our covers, it is not standard on the Super High Wind.

All that said, Velcro is a good idea and if you want it, go for it :>)

I should add that you can send your covers back to us for Velcro to be sewn on...still the same $5.00 per cover plus shipping. I'll charge shipping at our contract rate to try to save you a few bucks. But I'll also note that you can probably do it cheaper yourself...shipping can add up.

Cheers!!

Bob Pitney
    www.popupgizmos.com

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Active Member

Thanks Bob!

11. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Dec 28, 2013
    Bob Rocks!! [Guitar] [8D]