Going Out West Little help?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Lagman, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:07 PM.

1. Lagman

Lagman Member

We are in the beginning stages of a late May trip out west. So far we book 2 at Black Hills and 5 at Yellowstone. Then we’ll be going south to Bryce and Grand Canyon. Need a little help between Pa and BH and between YS and Bryce. Also the route back after 4 Corners. Anyone do this route. We have plenty of time. Just looking for some experienced folks that have done this trip.
    Thanks

Overland likes this.
  2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

First of don't trust a GPS to tell you where to to.
    There is a survival story on the Weather channel about a family from Pa.who got stuck in the snow going to the Grand canyon following a GPS.
    There are roads that are snow covered in May in the Southwest.
    Stick to main roads.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Yup, stay aware of the weather. It is not uncommon to get a snowstorm or two at altitude in June. Be prepared for cold weather at Yellowstone. Bring warm clothing.

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

we did Maryland to Yellowstone and back - and in a separate trip we did Maryland to Pikes Peak Colorado to Bryce/Zion to Grand Canyon and back through NM, Oklahoma, Tenn, and Va . We do stick to the interstates/main roads for the most part. For both trips, we did KOA campgrounds for the overnights. I can usually find one around the mileage mark where i want to stop for the night. we plan 300-350 miles/day and we usually got into the campground by 4:00 pm. enough time to set up, relax a bit and either make dinner or find a eatery close by. A few KOAs have a restaurant attached to them (not many though) making it easy to grab something to eat (i wish more did - sometimes getting back into the car/truck after being in it most of the day was hard to do). we did both of these trips in mid to late June. Had a great time both trips.

check out wunderground.com for the weather - i use it to find out what the typical temps are for where we are going and it has been helpful.

5. Lagman

Lagman Member

I actually pushed it back to mid May. Get to Black Hills on the 20th

6. Lagman

Lagman Member

I’m also a little concerned about fuel South of Bryce to GC and then up to 4 corners. Maybe take a couple 5 gal. cans?

7. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

You will be pushing your luck trying to get into yellowstone in May. It is possible many of the roads in the park may not be clear of snow yet.

8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

0E941555-CAC6-4893-9853-B0BE2DAA8AB3.png

9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I have been turned away from the West Yellowstone entrance on May 23rd before. The road inside the park was impassible with snow.

10. gladecreekwy

Absolutely. The roads will occasionally close all summer long due to weather but that is the opening schedule and they generally stick to it

11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

i had no issues getting gas between bryce and grand canyon. and i get 8 mph and have a 25 gallon tank. i filled up in bryce and then topped off the tank in Page, that got us into the Grand Canyon . and yes - i am paranoid about running out of gas. we could not carry extra gas - i thought about it but i have an SUV and don't want to put gas in the back of the car or in/on the camper. So i plan my gas stops, i use gas buddy and goggle maps to locate gas stations along a proposed route - and i also carry the book "Next Exit" - but it is good only for the interstates (but it tells you what is at each exit and if they are rv friendly)

kitphantom likes this.
  12. John Bedsole

John Bedsole New Member

Doing the same trip from Atlanta to Yellowstone in May as well . I’ll follow this post for ideas and info

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We live in Albuquerque and do a lot of traveling in that section of the SW, and don't carry extra gas. We really haven't had a place on the vehicle where we'd want to carry it, since we're not set up for expedition exploring.
    Our "rules" are to gas up sooner rather than later, and if in doubt, much sooner - when we see a gas station that we can get into, we may top off. We were a little worried a few years ago, when we headed to North Rim of Grand Canyon from near Moab, but we managed to find gas OK.

14. brwarrior

brwarrior Member

There is gas right outside of Bryce and back in Panguitch if going South/West. If you're going East on 12 then you can fuel up in Tropic, Cannonville or Escalante. I stayed at Kodachrome SP.

kitphantom likes this.
  15. Lagman

Lagman Member

Ok, worked a little more today on this trip. Here it is so far, haven’t got the return worked out yet. Looking for ideas after Utah.
    Langhorne to Indiana (1) from there Maybe Wisconsin or MN (1) Then to Custer SP for (2) Hopefully Cody(1) before W Yellowstone for (5) Then South to Bryce Canyon (2) then Grand Canyon South rim for (2) then Monument Valley for (2). After that I have no clue about what or where coming back east. This is a lot of work planning. Any advice, help or recommendations is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks folks!

16. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I don't see Grand Teton NP on your list. It gets overshadowed by its next-door neighbor Yellowstone, but I found the Tetons breathtaking.

Don't know if you have made any reservations yet, but in Cody, I would recommend Ponderosa Campground over the KOA. Bring cash or your checkbook, though. When we were there in 2015 they didn't take credit cards. ;)

17. brwarrior

brwarrior Member

It's a long haul from Yellowstone to Bryce. Buddy left outside of Jackson at 4 and got down there about 2-3pm.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  18. gladecreekwy

6BB17BBC-830C-4AAD-90F5-B1E31218C612.jpeg
    Tetons yesterday.

Overland, brwarrior and kitphantom like this.
  19. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether you are looking at making time (ie interstates) or sight seeing or what kind of camping you like. From your previous post, I'm guessing you use full hook up campgrounds. How far south do you want to go before you head back north? There are lots of options. I would head east to four corners (touristy, but fun) then toward Durango and Pagosa Springs Co. When you hit I25, you can head north toward Colorado Springs (the AF Academy is beautiful) or south toward Raton NM ( the sunrise is to die for). The trip from Amarillo TX to OKC is in a word, boring. You can hit some of the Old Route 66 stops if so inclined. The city campground in Sayre is a fair stop. Sites are $12 for H2O & Elect and has a dump station. Most of the good Oklahoma camping is away from I40 (going east/west), though Lake Eufaula isn't bad. Lake Dardanelles and Petit Jean are great in Arkansas. If you go through Memphis, I would take the loop around toward Nashville. There are some nice state parks around Nashville, but they fill fast in the summer.
    If I can be of any help, just say the word.

20. Lagman

Lagman Member

1F66C12B-859C-453D-93B5-1184DFE04315.png Yes the Tetons will be a day trip from Yellowstone. The ride south to Bryce from YS is probably 8 hours, so it’ll be a marathon to Ruby’s. 4 corners is a stop and as suggested Then into Colorado. That’s were we’re looking for spots. After that it looks like Kansas, MO then angle NE. I’m glad for the help you folks are giving. Just trying to see the best of what’s out there.

gladecreekwy likes this.