going without a battery

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by sventinker, Oct 11, 2017.

1. sventinker

sventinker New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    So we are going camping with hook-ups this weekend and my one battery is defective. My plan is to go to two 6 volt golf cart batteries with a solar charger but that isn't happening anytime soon. Can I plug in and just tape off the battery cables and still be able to use my 12 volt appliances and lights with no battery installed? I don't want to spend the 100 bucks for something I don't plan on using long term.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Yes. If you have brakes you should have a battery for the break-a-way switch to activate the brakes.
    It doesn't need to be a large one.

3. sventinker

sventinker New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    No brakes on my camper.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    A $25 yard mower start 12V battery (WALMART) will work great...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. sventinker

sventinker New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    would work great for what? is it necessary to have a battery to use the 12 volt appliances while plugged in to shore power?

6. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    With no brakes. No, is is not necessary!

sventinker likes this.
  7. sventinker

sventinker New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Thanks

8. megcabra

megcabra Member

I like roybraddy’s Walmart recommendation. And if you change your interior ceiling light bulb and porch light bulb to a LED you should get good life out of the battery.

Otherwise you should be fine. I don’t use a battery and I don’t have brakes either.

8DCF07AA-7C17-473E-AFDF-69996AFECDF1.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    sventinker likes this.
  9. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    My battery was defective when I first bought my pup. I don't boondock nor do I have electric brakes, so I really don't need one. I always camp with electric hookups. I have left it hooked up since then and everything works fine. You may also have a quick connect in line with the wiring on the tongue that you could unhook.

sventinker likes this.
  10. sventinker

sventinker New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    I have been shopping for those too. I want to change to led's all around but have been reading and its difficult to figure out which brands are of good quality since there are a million of them on the market.

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I went with the el-cheapo ones on eBay and they work fine. I have no idea if they're inferior to the others in brightness or other measurable quantities, but we just finished season four with them.

12. megcabra

megcabra Member

Same for me. Got mine on eBay and they seem OK. At about $2 each for a 1156 equivalent how can you go wrong. I do think the next ones I’ll buy will be the COB LEDs like this:
    5095FF40-5ADD-4C42-8D18-375D7203C82C.jpeg

sventinker likes this.
  13. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    I got cheap ones from Amazon. Read a bunch of reviews on a bunch of bulbs and took a chance on a set of 10. So far so good. I can now run all 3 for less power than 1 of the old ones.

sventinker likes this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I converted all of mine to LED as well. I used Amazon, searched for LEDs in for the correct bulb base, and narrowed it down to soft/warm white bulbs that were rated for 12-24V like marine applications. These ones seem to handle power fluctuations a little better than the straight 12V ones. I have had mine in for almost 2 years now with no issues. I much prefer the softer light over the harsh bright white that most LEDs seem to have.

Next project is to wire in a dimmer control for the two bunk lights.

15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I also bought the el cheapo LED bulbs off eBay. My TT needed 15+, so I bought them in bulk for about $1.50 each. I have been using them 3 seasons now and have no complaints.

16. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    This is just me but I like the idea of having a battery wired into the converter/charger circuit when on Shore Power. It provides good regulation of the DC output of your converter unit especially if it a small one and probably doesn't a very good robust 12V DC output circuit to start out with...

The added battery will smooth out everything...

However it will most likely do just fine without a battery installed in the circuit.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

17. sventinker

sventinker New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    makes sense, thanks. On the last trip I assumed the battery was fine as the PO said he kept it on a trickle charger and said it wasn't very old. I didn't check it till I got home and it was at 2 volts! The PO was a nice guy but I think peoples perceptions of what they own and what they do blur with time. He also said the tires were two years old and when I had them replaced today the tire guy said they were much older.

18. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

My pup didn't even have a battery... PO said they always camped with shore power. There's so many state parks and other more rustic campgrounds that either don't have shore power, have it in extremely limited quantities, or don't have it on the "nicer" sites (as in larger and more spread out) that we pretty much require a battery.

19. sventinker

sventinker New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    That is exactly why I am going to add the solar setup with the two golf cart batteries. We are going to a place called Lake Hemet and right now their "host" campsites are vacant and they all have power and water and are typically nicer and flatter than normal sites. The nice thing is they don't charge more for their host sites. My last camper was a U-haul 13" egg style camper that came with solar but I upgraded the system with two agm 6 volt batteries, a 100a Panel, and a really nice solar charger that would recharge the batteries in half a day. I had 200AH of usable power. It would run the heater all night and still never reach the point where I would cut it off. That system was about 1000 dollars but worth it.

tfischer likes this.
  20. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia